British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   daewoo heat pump ???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/daewoo-heat-pump-673033/)

Lily77cat Jun 19th 2010 3:03 am

daewoo heat pump ????

hiya
just seen warehouse are doing a 3.3kW daewoo heat pump that are bloody cheap.
now it wouldnt be our sole heating, we have a very good wood burner but it takes a while to get up to temperature so thought this cheap heat pump would be good for an hour or so before the burner kicks in. Also we thought we would use it for maybe a couple of hours in the evenings when it is really humid and hot during the summer months for colling.
as i know nothing about heat pumps- and had never heard of them before we cam here :-) can anyone say whether these would be ok for us? they are bloody cheap and would mean that we could get three for lounge, kitchen and upstairs!! so spending the same and getting three for the price of one form other shops!!!
if anyone could help that would be great- oh and any ideas about how much these cost to run per hour would be great aswell.
cheers
lily

pestman Jun 19th 2010 5:22 am

Re: daewoo heat pump ????

you get what you pay for but they are in the 'ok' bracket.

If its the inverter model and I presume it is then my company has installed a few as we were the contractors for all heatpumps sold by the W/H Down here in Dunedin.

IT's ALL about making sure its inst installed by a cowboy as that will make or break the unit.

Keep the pipe run as short as allowed and avoid as many 90 degree bends as possible and you should be fine.You still get a 5 year warranty so all good there.Install cost should be no more than $800 as that is about what the W/H average is.Any more than that then you would want to ask why?

as for running costs well hard to say but shit loads less than an oil fin or other electric appliance.

Keep them at around 21-22 on a cold day DONT turn them up on a very cold day above 23 as this will cause the unit to defrost alot.

cheers

www.hpso.co.nz

Lily77cat Jun 19th 2010 10:53 am

brilliant thanks for the info.
what would you call cold? we dont get below 5deg really so would that be ok?
and $800 to install was a bit of a shock! what exactly do they need to do to install them? (sorry for my ignorance!) and how would i know if a "cowboy" was doing it?
cheers

Loxley Jun 20th 2010 1:10 am

Have a look on Pestmans web site at the equipment required, $800 is not an expensive price to get the job done right.

BEVS Jun 20th 2010 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Loxley (Post 8643768)
Have a look on Pestmans web site at the equipment required, $800 is not an expensive price to get the job done right.

Loxley :wub:

Loxley Jun 20th 2010 6:32 am

Tadaaaa!

Yip, still around bevs

pestman Jun 20th 2010 8:22 am

No prob's why would you know the cost of install.

Basicly if it's done right they will take the power 'back to the board' and not tap of an current power point (yes technicaly its allowed in some cases) but for me putting the heat pump on its own supply is always done whatever the size.

So in terms of why it cost so much (although I will say for a 5 meter pipe run regardless of any corners involved) $800 inclusive of gst is a steal!

Electrical work needs doing and a certificate of compliance provided
Copper pipe (pair coil) run in between the inside and outside unit along with drain hose, seperate electrical cable for power and signal.

Coving to house the pipework etc run down wall to outside unit.

Outside unit put on feet and pad or a bracket.

Hole place from inside to outside approx 65mm diameter.

All the above done by my team of three guys (two installers and one electrician employed NOT sub contractors) will take between 3-4 hours.

the very basic tools you would need to do this job would add up to approx three thousand dollars or at least it should if you use the right equipment.

So there you go 3 wages all the tools and materials and after all that I will make approx $200 per install before tax!

hope that explains the cost.As I say thats a 'back to back' anything on an internal wall or out of the norm can be well over $1000K!

cheers

Wilester Jun 20th 2010 9:08 am

Can someone explain how this system works i see from alot of posts it seems to be the main form of heating together with a log burner in most houses.

Is it effective both in functionality and cost :confused:

Loxley Jun 20th 2010 9:10 am

Spot on Pestman, good to see there's a few of us doing it the right way.

Lily77cat Jun 20th 2010 9:32 am

wow! :ohmy:
there you go! :o
and theres me thinking it was a unit you stuck on the wall and it vented outside somehow like an extractor fan :o
gosh there is alot more to it than i thought!
thanks for the info
so for our purposes of heating until the wood burner kicks in and cooling in summer are these sufficient? it means we could get one for upstairs aswell at this price!!
and warehouse looks like they only offer a 24 month warrenty as opposed to mtre 10 where htey are double the price but offer a 5 year.
although some friends said they are getting a mitsubishy installed for $2500!!
as opposed to $1600 for the daewoo ?
oh decisions decisions!!
:confused:
:blink:

pestman Jun 20th 2010 10:25 am

where to start.

Firstly in terms of 'electrica' form of heating nothing out there at the moment really beats is except maybe a pellet fire although in studies they come out almost neck and neck.

They work by extracting warmth from cold air and then via a process to long to describe and utilizing the 'refrigerant R410A' transfer that heat through a coil which then gets air blown over it,the air picks up the heat and presto blows it into your room.In summer it does this in reverse taking out warm air from your house ie aircon proper!

The colder the climate the more important it is working out the size of the pump required, for example Dunedin is classed as a -1 degree area ie the pump you buy should be looked at for it's performance at that temprature as apposed to say Auckland that is classed as +7 degrees.

As it happens im a huge fan of Mitsubishi as they are the only company who openly publish there 2 degree operating figures unlike the other companies who will tell you there +7 figures. As said above not a problem in Auckland could be in Dunedin.

If I was buying a heatpump for down here it would be a mitsubishi hypercore.

Cant really compare a Dawoo with a Mitsubish but I might be tempted if I was you to go to Harvey Norman or Smiths City and invest in a better heatpump and use there always offered pay nothing for 3,4,5 year interest free deals.

Smiths city are doing an offer at the mo where if you but certain heatpumps you get the install for $450 a huge saving.

Heat pumps for me are one of the few items that I would buy interest free as they should have a life span of ten years unlike a couch which after the 'free' period you would be fed up with by then.

Dont forget you can take them with you if you move leaving just the removal and re install to pay for!

A 5 year warranty is worth having and comes with ALL major brands again ASK who is installing it and wether they are authourised installers for that brand if not then no warranty.call the manufactures to be sure DONT rely on the store as they will sub out the work for sure.

'upstairs' installs can be a nightmare and normaly involve a longer pipe run and hence more money to install.If on an internal wall then a condensate pump will be needed in most cases and will add on average approx $300 to the cost alone without the extra pipe run. (extra pipe approx $50 p/m on top of back to back price).

You might be better looking at LHZ Website at their electric radiators they are a modern type of nightstore and for an 'edge of the bedroom' heat would cost you approx $1500 installed! they are german made and I have seen then in operation and they work well.

good luck and my most important bit of advice is again CHECK OUT THE INSTALLER! DONT take the stores word for it they are salesman!

lardyl Jun 20th 2010 10:28 am

Originally Posted by pestman (Post 8644198)
.....anything on an internal wall or out of the norm can be well over $1000K!

cheers

..............a cool million for a heatpump - must be a good one.......

did I mention I am from England.......? :lol:

pestman Jun 20th 2010 10:36 am

yep it sure is, gold plated coil,sterling silver filters,platinum case and best of all a DIAMOND GEEZER to install it (londoner!!):rofl:

Charismatic Jun 20th 2010 10:38 am

By any chance have you ever read a book on thermodynamics? I took a class in it once, it scares me.

I’m still not sure what a “heat pump” is, if you look it up it seems to usually suggest air conditioning or reverse air conditioning (which is what you mean by heat pump or heat exchanger). However it seems to be used interchangeably here with heated air redistribution systems, those expensive fan heaters that mount on walls and a range of other heat exchanger type devices (just a heads up).

My understanding is that they take a while for heat exchangers to get operating because the compressors take time to get the exchange medium flowing and generate some heat (and even then it’s not the instant very high output you would require to quickly warm your house – certainly not at 3.3kw) and their effectiveness falls off exponentially with decreasing outside air temperature (so when it gets cold they don’t heat well, which is sort of defeating the point of heating really). So I would tend to think towards very powerful wall mounted fan heaters which will work within seconds in your case and be turned off quickly once the house is warm.

Hope this helps :thumbup:.

pestman Jun 20th 2010 10:50 am

good points and hence the need for a proper calculation regarding where you live,size of room and so on.

the hypercore heatpump from mitsubishi will not loose its output well past the temps we get here in south island new zealand and to be honest most north island places the heatpump will work just fine with little output loss.

Down to 7 degree outside temp you will be fine below that is when you need to size the pump. bigger is not always the way to go though dont fall into that trap.

Modern heatpumps will not blow out cold air as they warm up to a certain temp before operating,when they do enter 'defrost mode' you will for approx 10-15 mins have a stopped heatpump and no heat coming out but after the cycle is complete its back on again.

we have 2 daikins a lennox and a fujitsu. the fujitsu is a 6kw model and we live in Dunedin.Our unit will 'defrost' about once every 2 hours on a below zero day and that means for 15 mins every 2 hours it goes off.

However it comes back on again and heats up the entire lounge and kitchen and for my money costs us a shit load less to run that a straight 2 kw electric heater as that heater will use 2kw give you 2kw of heat whereby the heatpump I use uses 2kw of power and gives me 6kw of heat or there abouts so same running cost more heat!

I should add that from turning on untill maximum output on a zero degree day will take approx 20 mins but then as you set them by timer to come on before you get up or arrive home this you wont notice.Mine comes on approx 1 hour before we get up/get home and the place is toasty but if I forget to set the timer then 20mins after im up the place is warming up well.

so size it up right and you will be fine as for a 3kw being big enough without a room size house type I cant be sure.

good luck