Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dads 80 th , but it's in the uk ?

Dads 80 th , but it's in the uk ?

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 9:57 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dads 80 th , but it's in the uk ?

great you have made a decision.

Have a lovely time
Old Mar 24th 2014, 3:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Always good to come to a decision . Just a few weeks until my Dad's 80th too, so looking forward to seeing him. I'm hoping he doesn't keel over with the shock .

Have a good time & make the best of it.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 3:53 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Been keeping up with this post. I'm so pleased you decided to go back. You're only 80 once.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 11:29 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I have always been of the mind that for those you love and for yourself , it is better to go back for the living, not for the dead.

Those at the end of their lives can derive great comfort for spending a little time with people they love even if it is just a little listening or a holding of a hand. It is all about them.

Of course, not always possible to achieve but , if possible, that trip sooner rather than later is best for all. Just my own personal opinion of course.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 11:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I have always been of the mind that for those you love and for yourself , it is better to go back for the living, not for the dead.

Those at the end of their lives can derive great comfort for spending a little time with people they love even if it is just a little listening or a holding of a hand. It is all about them.

Of course, not always possible to achieve but , if possible, that trip sooner rather than later is best for all. Just my own personal opinion of course.
I absolutely agree with you.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I absolutely agree with you.
Me too.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 9:18 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with you BEVS .

When I was taking to me mum she said something that made the decision for me , she said " it's not do you want to come back, you should come back " and with that I booked a flight .

I hate the flight back and the return , but I will not buy cheaper flights with multi stop overs in random places , so from dunedin to chch , chch to Singapore then 5 hr stop over in Singapore then 13 hour to london , where my sister is going to pick me up . The trip back to airport will probably be on the national express coach a nice journey through the new forest .

Hoping to hire a car and get the folks out to Weymouth , Swanage and places dad can't get to any more , hoping to drop into kimmeridge and possibly lulworth cove , the purbecks hills and Dorset Coast pull me back every time , and hoping dad will be well enough to come and enjoy the fresh sea air with me.

Again this trip back is on my own , but last year we sent our daughter and her boyfriend back so she could catch up with her grandparents after 5 years away .

One thing that never gets any easier is the leaving day , makes you feel sick inside , tears flow and hearts broken again , but it's something I have to do , my wife's brother moved to invercargill not long after us in 05 , and the inlaws have just moved to dunedin last November , so all of my wife's family are here . But for me the long haul flight is my only way to see mine.

It's amazing how quickly the years in nz pass , we get on with our daily lives in nz and sometimes forget that the folk back in uk are getting older to ? And not being with them every day , we don't see the changes in them .

I will update you all on my trip back and possibly a few pics .
Old Mar 27th 2014, 9:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You've made the right decision. Safe travels.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 10:22 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Some photos would be lovely thank you.

I've not been back in over 5 years now but have some pals who remember to take some pics for me now and again.

Chesil beach is gone I believe.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Chesil beach is gone I believe.

Really? This is not good news.

To the OP;

As many have said before me, you've done the right thing.

I accepted before I got here that there is a difference between necessary travel and genuine holiday travel - the former takes priority for the foreseeable future.

I made the move to NZ, so I have be the one to make the effort when I should be there.