Cyclone Gabrielle

Old Feb 13th 2023, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cyclone Gabrielle

Originally Posted by BEVS
This was as at 1 a.m. up around Gisborne.

That area also felt an earthquake which will not have helped all round.

I'm tired and this area hasn't even been touched. However as it is an orange warning I have battened down all hatches best I can , sorted the hens and have the grab bags ready for me & the cat. Have also checked on those much older than myself. MrBEVS may be away but I can still aid if needed.

As of 8.45a.m. this morning - an hour ago - New Zealand is in a National State of Emergency. It is that awful.

I shan't be hearing from my husband for a while then .
So sorry to hear that, extremely concerning for you. Hope you hear from Mr BEVS ASAP. Hope that your region isn't too badly hit. We have been extremely fortunate. Last night wasn't as bad as the previous one, mainly due to the change in wind direction. The rain wasn't as heavy as we were expecting.

Just got home from an appointment at North Shore Hospital and nearly got blown down the steps outside. The gusts are still strong at times. A small slip on SH1 just north of Oteha Valley exit heading south. A number of tree branches down along the Whangaparaoa Peninsula.
Wherever you are in NZ, take the warnings seriously and stay safe.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Hope you hear soon, we feel for everyone that is affected by this with flooding, slips and loss of any kind; big ups to anyone that's out there responding to the current and still unfolding mess this morning

Amazingly, despite the crazy rain and wind there was no further impact on our home overnight but we are hearing lots of reports of power out, road closures and people (mostly in West Auckland) who had to evacuate homes in the early hours. The worst seems to be over for us, aside from still being a bit gusty. Stay safe everyone!
Very pleased to hear that you've not had any further issues overnight. You were the first person I thought of when I woke up this morning.

Looks and sounds awful out West Auckland. We've had a very lucky escape and I'm so thankful for that.
Just terrible for the other areas affected so far.
Have you seen photos of the damage at Orewa? The trees will be falling into the sea soon given the level of erosion!
Old Feb 14th 2023, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, much the same, feeling incredibly lucky compared to some of the scenes out there. I have seen some of the pictures of Orewa, that's been an ongoing problem there for years and the council spends fortunes replacing the sand after every storm and king tide. They really need a sea wall or some big rocks to help stop the erosion. Hopefully this time they will finally get something long term.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yes, much the same, feeling incredibly lucky compared to some of the scenes out there. I have seen some of the pictures of Orewa, that's been an ongoing problem there for years and the council spends fortunes replacing the sand after every storm and king tide. They really need a sea wall or some big rocks to help stop the erosion. Hopefully this time they will finally get something long term.
Absolutely! I mean it's not rocket science!!!!
Old Feb 14th 2023, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

As of 8.45a.m. this morning - an hour ago - New Zealand is in a National State of Emergency. It is that awful.
South island doesn't need to be in a state of anything, it's perfectly fine down here.
if that means anything more than sending everyone who can help up north it's a waste of time and effort
Old Feb 14th 2023, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Moon_River is an unknown quantity at this point

My Sister in Law lives in Silverdale. Orewa is their local beach. She says it will need, 'big love' to fix it !
Old Feb 14th 2023, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moon_River
My Sister in Law lives in Silverdale. Orewa is their local beach. She says it will need, 'big love' to fix it !
Because a pretty beach is really important 🙄
Old Feb 14th 2023, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moon_River
No. It just needs a reasoned, sensible approach. This supercity council seems unable to accept the obvious solution of returning the boulders that used to be there. Instead as Bo-Jangles has already stated the council insists on replacing sand after every storm and King tide. It's a futile and an expensive mistake.
Tbh, IMVHO, it's not that great a beach, I prefer Te Haruhi at Shakespear Regional Park. Though I don't rate many of the beaches around here for interest. I prefer beaches which have lots of interesting rock pools to explore.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Where are they ? What region?
They are on top of a hill to the West of Riverhead Forest, West Auckland.
Kumeu has taken a real pasting, but fortunately they are away from all that.
Worst that happened last time was the bridge at the bottom of the hill was flooded so they were cut off, but they are very self sufficient so no worries.
Last we heard power was off but they have a generator.

We have friends in Orewa but they are a fair distance back from the beach, and last we heard they were fine.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Any news from Mr BEVS? Hope he's safe. Bloody awful in the Hawkes Bay area.
How's things Mapua way?
Old Feb 14th 2023, 9:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
South island doesn't need to be in a state of anything, it's perfectly fine down here.
if that means anything more than sending everyone who can help up north it's a waste of time and effort
How about you read and understand what it actually means & does. I actually don't mind your cantankerous style but sometimes there is a time and a place. You seem to see this as some sort of power struggle. Local v national or something odd. That is NOT how this works. It is about resources , priorities , deployment . It will have been requested . You should be pleased about this for everyone .

National state of emergency: What you need to know

• The New Zealand government has declared a National State of Emergency, to assist in the response to Cyclone Gabrielle.
  • The declaration will apply to the six regions that have already declared a local State of Emergency: Northland, Auckland, Tairāwhiti, Bay of Plenty, Waikato, and Hawke's Bay.
  • A national state of emergency gives the national controller legal authority to apply further resources across the country and set priorities in support of a national level response.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 9:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Top of the South island was in the firing line and we were all advised to get ready and be prepared , especially after last August. So I & neighbours got ready best we could and were prepared. Cyclone Gabrielle completely missed us. Not even a puff. I am not sure how or why but it did. Perhaps the Ranges offered protection or the wind direction was something to do with it.

There is no contact from MrBEVS or the team. I am seeing the odd update via Gisborne CD & a local Gisborne group . At the moment comms of any sort requires a satellite phone and power so is sporadic when able. It's bad though. I have gathered that much.
Old Feb 15th 2023, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

How about you read and understand what it actually means & does. I actually don't mind your cantankerous style but sometimes there is a time and a place. You seem to see this as some sort of power struggle. Local v national or something odd. That is NOT how this works. It is about resources , priorities , deployment . It will have been requested . You should be pleased about this for everyone .

I get it's a big thing for you and yours, but It's little more than common sense really isn't it.

Gabrielle was never ever coming anywhere near the south island. Warnings that it would be were never more than an arse covering exercise.

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 15th 2023 at 3:44 am.
Old Feb 15th 2023, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Top of the South island was in the firing line and we were all advised to get ready and be prepared , especially after last August. So I & neighbours got ready best we could and were prepared. Cyclone Gabrielle completely missed us. Not even a puff. I am not sure how or why but it did. Perhaps the Ranges offered protection or the wind direction was something to do with it.

There is no contact from MrBEVS or the team. I am seeing the odd update via Gisborne CD & a local Gisborne group . At the moment comms of any sort requires a satellite phone and power so is sporadic when able. It's bad though. I have gathered that much.
Well I for one am pleased to hear that Gabrielle passed you by.
Hope the coming hours bring news from Mr BEVS.
Our friends in Wellsford have no power, no water, no internet at their place. At least they can get to the shops and are able to cook on the barbie.
We are just extremely grateful that it wasn't worse our way.
Old Feb 15th 2023, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I get it's a big thing for you and yours, but It's little more than common sense really isn't it.

Gabrielle was never ever coming anywhere near the south island. Warnings that it would be were never more than an arse covering exercise.
Weather will always be unpredictable and what you call an arse covering exercise I would call being proactive and being prepared.

This is from 33 years of living on the gulf coast of Texas during hurricane season. A storms path can change dramatically at the very last minute and being unprepared is a risk not only to you, your family and your pets but also to those who need to try and help you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.