Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cycling South Island

Cycling South Island

Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

DT1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cycling South Island

Hi yes as the title says me and my partner will be arriving in Christchuch next week and will start a 6-8 week bike ride round south island. Were going to head south east first taking in all the sights and Extreme experiances we can befor headding to north island.

We have 2 questions

1, Were to go? We would like some recomendations for south island poss North as well.

2, Camp or not to camp? Is it a good idea to think about getting a tent and some sleeping bags to save money, or just makes us more flexible. Also if so does anyone no some good priced shops for camping gear OR is selling some in or around Christchurch. Rember we will only have 2 bikes and panners.

Thank you
David and Holly
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:45 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cycling South Island

Hi Guys

You can pickup camping gear at The Warehouse. If you are looking for good quality (aka expensive) the Katmandu is a good option.

But it's getting cold! Beds at hostels dorms are about $20pp and double rooms from $50 for two.

We use the BBH network of hostels and highly recommend them.

http://www.bbh.co.nz/bbh_HostelSearch.aspx
Old Mar 9th 2012, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

The sealed road between Wanaka and Greymouth is a must (past the glaciers, along the West Coast). I completed this by motorbike last month and was just astounded by the beauty. The West Coast can rain a lot more than other areas so good gear will be important.

If you are wanting 'off the beaten track', try the Molesworth road between Hanmer and Blenheim. This is a shingle road, through the back country. Highly recommended.

I'd suggest camping. Plenty of good spots to stop and pitch the tent. You will need to check local rules as not all areas allow freedom camping.

Hope you have fun, it's a beautiful country!
Old Mar 9th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Main question I'd consider when cycling touring, is have you cycled and camped before? there's lot of extra gear. Camping gear, certainly the better quality (lighter weight) stuff is more expensive in NZ.

Also with it moving towards the cooler months consider backpacking. There's a good backpacker network and well spread out, and this time of year there should be no need to book which would restrict the route choices.

There's many that seem to cycle with all but the kitchen sink, but I've always found the less weight the more distance you cover the easier and fun it is.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 2:41 am
Just Joined

DT1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some brillient advice and recomendations, we have never cycled over multiple days befor I've been working in a mine in South Australia for a year but been going cycling every night. No real issues there. Looks like the weather is getting cooler over there and camping might not be the best idea. I think we will land and make a decision on the roll, as it were just looking to having a few months off befor I have to find a electrical job.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 4:02 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Get a campervan if that appeals, you can always have a bike rack.

Always wanted to do that with the wife, before the kids arrived.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 7:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It's getting very much cooler here on the South Island. Saw the first short frost early this morning. You can do the hostels easypeasy. However if you are after xtreme , then camp.