Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cycling in Auckland

Cycling in Auckland

Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough
Default Cycling in Auckland

How easy/ hard would people say cycling is in Auckland? I've heard that drivers can be pretty dangerous in New Zealand, and we'd be hoping to cycle to/ from work. Does anyone have any advice on this? We'll be working/ living in the south Auckland/ Manukau area.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cycling in Auckland

Don't know about the south in particular, but I know quite a few who cycle commute on the North Shore. There are a few cycle lanes, and a few areas without. The roads are generally wider than UK ones, but drivers probably slightly dodgier
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:01 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by wilekit View Post
How easy/ hard would people say cycling is in Auckland? I've heard that drivers can be pretty dangerous in New Zealand, and we'd be hoping to cycle to/ from work. Does anyone have any advice on this? We'll be working/ living in the south Auckland/ Manukau area.
Major props to you for considering cycling. It will be a challenge in Auckland as it has a uppish-and-downish terrain and a roading system that isn't very cyclist friendly.

Look at this for possible paths you may take.

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auck...rthwestern.asp

Good luck.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Our friend cycles from Dannemora to the airport daily on the whole its not too bad but like anywhere you get drivers that dont look out for cyclists
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough

Cheers for the advice guys - hills aren't putting us off too much, we live in Nottingham which is entirely made up of huge hills

I had a look at the Auckland transport website - tres impressive! Proper cycle paths and everything!! The UK sucks for how it ISN'T putting any funding into alternatives to cars. We're hoping to get by with 1 smallish hatchback, or something - maybe a roof box for camping trips etc? The whole idea of coming 12,000 miles (ish) is to change lifestyles, I reckon using bikes is the way forward.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about cycling from South Auckland outwards, but Tamaki Drive is heaven for cyclists, they all meet there at the weekends and pretend to do some serious riding, then all sit around Mission Bay having trim lattes and chocolate brownies... however it's the cyclists the motorists and peds have to watch out for, they're all nutters who think they've had vaccines against traffic and are somehow above the law when it comes to red lights or zebra crossings! There's also a velodrome in manukau if you're serious about cycling and tonnes of recreational riding clubs all over the city.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS View Post
.. however it's the cyclists the motorists and peds have to watch out for, they're all nutters who think they've had vaccines against traffic and are somehow above the law when it comes to red lights or zebra crossings!
I agree about the cyclists, , many cyclists here ignore red lights and pedestrian crossings. I swear I will push one off his bike one day when he speeds past me as I cross the road.

Personally, Im not sure I would cycle on any road here, far too many drunk or drugged up drivers. And also many many people using mobile phones and even texting when driving, so I don’t fancy being hit up the rear by one thank you. It happens all too regularly
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

I'm not really into serious biking - I'm more oriented to it from an exercise/ financial point of view, although I can see my SO bieng interested in clubs etc. Having said that I'd attend any club if it offered latte's and brownie's afterwards

The whole mobile phone and driving thing drives me nuts - it happens all the time here, in spite of it now bieng an actual offence you can get points on your licence for if you're caught doing it. I drove all the way to work yesterday (7 miles), which took nearly an hour, and the whole journey a woman in a brand new Golf was behind me yapping on her mobile. I had to move my rear view mirror so I couldn't see her, she was irritating me so much!

Cycling can be dangerous I suppose, but then I'm not a particularly confident cyclist, so I'm not likely to be one of those that shoot past anybody at traffic lights. Auckland at least seem to be making moves in the right direction re making it easier for people to get on their bikes. As I said, as far as I know there are no plans to create cycle paths here