British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cycling in Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cycling-auckland-527298/)

wilekit Apr 6th 2008 6:40 pm

Cycling in Auckland

How easy/ hard would people say cycling is in Auckland? I've heard that drivers can be pretty dangerous in New Zealand, and we'd be hoping to cycle to/ from work. Does anyone have any advice on this? We'll be working/ living in the south Auckland/ Manukau area.

lapsed kiwi Apr 6th 2008 6:55 pm

Re: Cycling in Auckland

Don't know about the south in particular, but I know quite a few who cycle commute on the North Shore. There are a few cycle lanes, and a few areas without. The roads are generally wider than UK ones, but drivers probably slightly dodgier

happynz Apr 6th 2008 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by wilekit (Post 6168946)
How easy/ hard would people say cycling is in Auckland? I've heard that drivers can be pretty dangerous in New Zealand, and we'd be hoping to cycle to/ from work. Does anyone have any advice on this? We'll be working/ living in the south Auckland/ Manukau area.

Major props to you for considering cycling. It will be a challenge in Auckland as it has a uppish-and-downish terrain and a roading system that isn't very cyclist friendly.

Look at this for possible paths you may take.

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auck...rthwestern.asp

Good luck.

minky Apr 6th 2008 8:39 pm

Our friend cycles from Dannemora to the airport daily on the whole its not too bad but like anywhere you get drivers that dont look out for cyclists

wilekit Apr 7th 2008 7:10 pm

Cheers for the advice guys - hills aren't putting us off too much, we live in Nottingham which is entirely made up of huge hills :D

I had a look at the Auckland transport website - tres impressive! Proper cycle paths and everything!! :lol: The UK sucks for how it ISN'T putting any funding into alternatives to cars. We're hoping to get by with 1 smallish hatchback, or something - maybe a roof box for camping trips etc? The whole idea of coming 12,000 miles (ish) is to change lifestyles, I reckon using bikes is the way forward. :thumbup:

P18PPS Apr 7th 2008 9:58 pm

Don't know about cycling from South Auckland outwards, but Tamaki Drive is heaven for cyclists, they all meet there at the weekends and pretend to do some serious riding, then all sit around Mission Bay having trim lattes and chocolate brownies... however it's the cyclists the motorists and peds have to watch out for, they're all nutters who think they've had vaccines against traffic and are somehow above the law when it comes to red lights or zebra crossings! There's also a velodrome in manukau if you're serious about cycling and tonnes of recreational riding clubs all over the city.

Browner_ Apr 8th 2008 12:13 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 6175217)
.. however it's the cyclists the motorists and peds have to watch out for, they're all nutters who think they've had vaccines against traffic and are somehow above the law when it comes to red lights or zebra crossings!

I agree about the cyclists, , many cyclists here ignore red lights and pedestrian crossings. I swear I will push one off his bike one day when he speeds past me as I cross the road.

Personally, Im not sure I would cycle on any road here, far too many drunk or drugged up drivers. And also many many people using mobile phones and even texting when driving, so I don’t fancy being hit up the rear by one thank you. It happens all too regularly

wilekit Apr 8th 2008 8:17 am

I'm not really into serious biking - I'm more oriented to it from an exercise/ financial point of view, although I can see my SO bieng interested in clubs etc. Having said that I'd attend any club if it offered latte's and brownie's afterwards :rofl:

The whole mobile phone and driving thing drives me nuts - it happens all the time here, in spite of it now bieng an actual offence you can get points on your licence for if you're caught doing it. I drove all the way to work yesterday (7 miles), which took nearly an hour, and the whole journey a woman in a brand new Golf was behind me yapping on her mobile. I had to move my rear view mirror so I couldn't see her, she was irritating me so much!

Cycling can be dangerous I suppose, but then I'm not a particularly confident cyclist, so I'm not likely to be one of those that shoot past anybody at traffic lights. Auckland at least seem to be making moves in the right direction re making it easier for people to get on their bikes. As I said, as far as I know there are no plans to create cycle paths here :frown: