Cycle touring

Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cycle touring

Does anyone know of a NZ inusrance company that will cover cycle touring abroad?

We are going home for a holiday and want to hire bikes and do some touring but can't find any holiday insurance to cover this. We usually have holiday insurance through columbus but they don't cover cycle touring.

Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cycle touring

Originally Posted by nero
Does anyone know of a NZ inusrance company that will cover cycle touring abroad?

We are going home for a holiday and want to hire bikes and do some touring but can't find any holiday insurance to cover this. We usually have holiday insurance through columbus but they don't cover cycle touring.

No specific firms to recommend, but I would strongly advise staying away from IAG (difficult as they are the name behind a no. of providers in NZ) based on my current experience trying to get a fair settlement after having my bike written off when I was taken out a roundabout a few weeks ago.

Understandably the driver has admitted liability, but IAG are insisting I go through my own contents policy rather than the other parties third party insurance (same provider) and offering me a 'non-negotiable' settlement valuing my bike at less 1/2 the value I have the valued after I had it resprayed last year (it's hand built frame I had made in the UK).

Not to mention the ridiculously discounted amount for the cycle helmet that was also ruined, as if there's a safe market in second hand cycle helmets.

It's really anoying to be ending up significantly out of pocket, and off the bike for a few weeks (sore ribs the main injury, a bad back and gravel rash now healed) through a crash that was in no way my fault.

Re: touring insurance - do you still have an address in the UK, there are number of companies that should do it. Try the ctc (Cycle Touring Club) for starters. Also if you are hiring bikes, what about the company you are hiring it from.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cycle touring

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
No specific firms to recommend, but I would strongly advise staying away from IAG (difficult as they are the name behind a no. of providers in NZ) based on my current experience trying to get a fair settlement after having my bike written off when I was taken out a roundabout a few weeks ago.

Understandably the driver has admitted liability, but IAG are insisting I go through my own contents policy rather than the other parties third party insurance (same provider) and offering me a 'non-negotiable' settlement valuing my bike at less 1/2 the value I have the valued after I had it resprayed last year (it's hand built frame I had made in the UK).

Not to mention the ridiculously discounted amount for the cycle helmet that was also ruined, as if there's a safe market in second hand cycle helmets.

It's really anoying to be ending up significantly out of pocket, and off the bike for a few weeks (sore ribs the main injury, a bad back and gravel rash now healed) through a crash that was in no way my fault.

Re: touring insurance - do you still have an address in the UK, there are number of companies that should do it. Try the ctc (Cycle Touring Club) for starters. Also if you are hiring bikes, what about the company you are hiring it from.
For the CTC insurance unfortunately you have to be a resident in the UK :-(
Glad to hear you are on the mend after your bike crash and will take on board your comments re IAG.
Will try the bike hirers. Cheers