Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Customs Questions......

Customs Questions......

Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Barpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant future
Default Customs Questions......

Hi
I arrive in Christchurch next Wednesday as a visitor and on my own. I was planning on bringing a large rucksack and large holdall with me. The reason for the holdall was that my suit can fit in it without getting crushed.

Do you think customs would get suspicious and start questioning my intentions of being just a visitor if I bring too much stuff with me?

regards
Barry
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:13 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Customs Questions......

Originally Posted by Barpolo
Hi,
I arrive in Christchurch next Wednesday as a visitor and on my own. I was planning on bringing a large rucksack and large holdall with me. The reason for the holdall was that my suit can fit in it without getting crushed.

Do you think customs would get suspicious and start questioning my intentions of being just a visitor if I bring too much stuff with me?

regards
Barry
With a rucksack and a large holdall I doubt you'd a second glance.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:14 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Just say you are here for interviews Barpolo if questioned. ( have you got any lined up yet BTW?? )
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Barpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant future

I have a couple of interview/chats set up with recruitment consultants in Christchurch. But no interviews for actual jobs. My CV needs to be altered to suit NZ companies and I'm hoping that the recruitment companies can help me with this. I keep getting turned down for interviews still.
I have 14 years of experience working in the Electronics (Semiconductor) industry as an Equipment Maintenance Engineer so my job wouldn't be an exact fit for NZ. However I believe my skills are transferable and so I have to convince the NZ recruiters to hire me.

I thought you weren't allowed to admit to customs that you were here for interviews hence my question.

I guess I'm getting a bit paranoid and nervous the closer it gets to travelling as it has been 18 months of preparation for this move.

Thanks for the replies by the way......I'm afraid there may be a load more questions to follow. Hope you don't mind.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:22 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barpolo
I have a couple of interview/chats set up with recruitment consultants in Christchurch. But no interviews for actual jobs. My CV needs to be altered to suit NZ companies and I'm hoping that the recruitment companies can help me with this. I keep getting turned down for interviews still.
I have 14 years of experience working in the Electronics (Semiconductor) industry as an Equipment Maintenance Engineer so my job wouldn't be an exact fit for NZ. However I believe my skills are transferable and so I have to convince the NZ recruiters to hire me.

I thought you weren't allowed to admit to customs that you were here for interviews hence my question.

I guess I'm getting a bit paranoid and nervous the closer it gets to travelling as it has been 18 months of preparation for this move.

Thanks for the replies by the way......I'm afraid there may be a load more questions to follow. Hope you don't mind.

My OH ( and lots of others) have been here for a reccie before we made the commitment.

So long as you have a return/onward ticket , you'll be good hun
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:46 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

I was like you Barpolo, and thought we would be really questioned, we are family of 4, and had masses of luggage. We too were coming over for OH to have interviews to hopefully secure job, (which he has done,). He did ask what were our plans for our stay in New Zealand, to which we answered, we were first staying in BAY of plenty, visiting freinds, then hiring car and travelling around, both North and south Island, he was great, had a chat with our son about Rugby, and then said have a great trip. Sweet as.
I didn't know it would be o.k to say we were here hoping to secure work.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

So when i go to NZ in feb to look for a job for two weeks can i just go as a visitor or do i need a visa etc?.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:14 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wessa
So when i go to NZ in feb to look for a job for two weeks can i just go as a visitor or do i need a visa etc?.
You will get a visitor permit on arrival. I assume you are a holder of the UK&NI passport, right?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi again
Thanks for all the replies to this thread i started a week or 2 ago. I have now arrived in Christchurch and am writing this mail from an internet cafe in Cathedral Square....it is great to be back!!!!!!!

I had absolutely no problems getting thru Chch airport with my luggage and even the guy from customs checking my golf shoes for dirt was impressed with how clean they were. He said my mum must have cleaned them!

I got thru Chch airport in about 15 minutes minimum. which was a lot better than my stopover in Dubai which was 3 hours...long story none of it my fault.

Anyway thanks for the info previous...........now the real hard work begins....getting a job and work permit.

Barry (enjoying the sunshine!)