Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Customs no-no's Plasticine, oil paints, clay?

Customs no-no's Plasticine, oil paints, clay?

Old Aug 1st 2014, 10:17 am
Just Joined

pronto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customs no-no's Plasticine, oil paints, clay?

Going through all the kids things and through ing out paints and glue.

I assume clay (for pottery) is a no-no.

What about:
Plasticine?
Oil paints?
Coloured feathers (the sort in children's craft boxes)?
Wine corks?

Thanks for any guidance. I've already emailed customs twice about various things and don't want to torture them further!

Also, feathers in duvets? Pillows? Assume they are treated and fine.

Also, the form asks you to state if there are wooden objects in luggage, but they must mean untreated wood, but I do I put Yes but treated' or 'no'?

Thanks
Pronto
Old Aug 1st 2014, 10:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs no-no's Plasticine, oil paints, clay?

the craft bits should be ok. not sure how well they will fare on the journey over in the container with the extreme temperature changes.

wine corks not sure about, your shipper would be best to ask
Old Aug 1st 2014, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I think people stress about this way too much, unless your looking at gallons of oil based paint, highly flammable or live / organic material with potential to grow (soil, plants, seeds, fruit or veg); just shove it all in a bag and box it marked kids toys and bring it.

The actual packers couldn't give a rats what stuff you have.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:00 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

The timber they are referring to is raw green from the wood yard and non pressure treated, the type used in rough packing that you can get splinters off, you will not have any of that so mark that as all treated.
Our packers PSS told us quite clearly what they were not prepared to wrap, paints, flammables and some of our weave baskets.
As Mrs F points out the container temperatures are extreme hot to cold so our motorcycle leathers were well waxed and left on for the journey.
At this end after filling in a self declaration statement for the shippers our container was delivered unopened.
I now have a wardrobe full of shoes, long trousers, full length overcoat and mac that I could have dumped in the bin...
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Hi all

Appreciate your advice and observations.

I have a beautiful set of oil based paint that I am most heartbroken to through out unless necessary - 12ml and 37ml tubes. But it sounds like that I might have to throw out.

I thought I would just put all potentially offending items in the same carton, but realise the oil paints are a shipping issue and not a customs issue.

Pronto
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 11:22 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pronto
Hi all

Appreciate your advice and observations.

I have a beautiful set of oil based paint that I am most heartbroken to through out unless necessary - 12ml and 37ml tubes. But it sounds like that I might have to throw out.

I thought I would just put all potentially offending items in the same carton, but realise the oil paints are a shipping issue and not a customs issue.

Pronto
Can't you buy a couple of cheepo PRC thermos containers an drop them in there ?
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 12:53 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I was a bit slap dash about my packing which was done 3 years before it was shipped. I just put it in boxes roughly labelled 'kitchen', 'lounge' and left it at that. Pickfords put my smaller boxes into bigger boxes and used the same labels.

I had some art materials in there and some perfume making ingredients which are probably dodgy, although not flammable. Plenty of wooden stuff but all processed in one form or other, e.g. furniture.

Have you thought about posting some things? Or maybe bring them in your luggage and declare them at customs when you arrive. It's quite surprising what they let through.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:25 am
Going Home after 22 years

napierlass is an unknown quantity at this point

You have my sympathy as a serious/serial crafter I am gutted to have to get rid of all of my alcohol inks, paints etc. I even tried to bring in my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint but pss say its not recommended. How else does all this stuff get there. I would cost me hundreds to replace it all and I'm currently selling it for pennies.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Napier lass - snap, I'm heading back home after 20 yrs away. The paints is annoying. Feels like it's a technicality - could oil based paints really catch fire?

It's really useful to hear a range of experiences thanks everyone.

One more question to add TOILETRIES and HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS? Are they all fine? Britannia mentioned 'no chemicals'

Pronto
Thanks so much
Kr
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pronto
Napier lass - snap, I'm heading back home after 20 yrs away. The paints is annoying. Feels like it's a technicality - could oil based paints really catch fire?
I am sure people do far worse, if you're worried about it just put it in a biscuit tin pack it and forget about it!! I brought inks and arty stuff like that without even a thought. The heat in containers doesn't seem to be an issue for the millions of container loads of gear that are shipped across the oceans from China etc.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:26 pm

The temp inside your container will climb to excess of 50C. Your container will be one of hundreds on a large ship. You will be paying a sum of money for a maritime insurance policy.....put this amount of responsibility on to the packer and what do you think he will say
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

anyone bring any mountain bikes? Are they strict on them?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by desmondo84
anyone bring any mountain bikes? Are they strict on them?
Yes two Jet washed and scrubbed then sprayed with Virkon S dried properly and then bars turned inwards and wrapped with the industrial type cling film off ebay. Had to replace both sets of tyres and inner tubes (perished and deformed) within 6 months and still do not know whether that was the container heat and dew point or just old age.