Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Curtains - oh, how I larfed

Curtains - oh, how I larfed

Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of
Default Re: Curtains - oh, how I larfed

Originally Posted by dreamfish
thank you for that! may just take you up on that - can you squeeze in a push chair and travel cot too?!! (currently residing in mother in laws garage in norfolk)

Certainly try my best for you. PM me with the details and I'll see what I can do.

Lou
xx
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Curtains are another thing folks should remember to bring out with them. Ikea have great ones which are very cheap and hard-wearing. Also, cotton sheets and bed linen are much more expensive here and worth bringing out. In fact, bring everythink, even the kitchen sink!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Yes, that's what I've been told. I am trying to stock up on bedlinen. Asda Living to real bargains. Especially for Childrens beds. Also Tesco.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Could you also bring out a Tesco Super Store? Much needed here!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

If I leave the contents of my shoe cupboard here, should fit it in no probs!!!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou
If I leave the contents of my shoe cupboard here, should fit it in no probs!!!
And a branch of Jones the Bootmaker pleassssssssssse
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:57 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whitesand
Curtains are another thing folks should remember to bring out with them. Ikea have great ones which are very cheap and hard-wearing. Also, cotton sheets and bed linen are much more expensive here and worth bringing out. In fact, bring everythink, even the kitchen sink!
thats what i did - bring out all my curtains, the majority of which are full length.
but none are wide enough.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

thats what i did - bring out all my curtains, the majority of which are full length.
but none are wide enough.
If they're in the same fabric, karonious may be able to 'unmake' them and then redo them to the right width by joining some/all together?!
Just an idea....don't want her sitting round getting bored!!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:54 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
If they're in the same fabric, karonious may be able to 'unmake' them and then redo them to the right width by joining some/all together?!
Just an idea....don't want her sitting round getting bored!!
Karonious is about to go shopping!! It's my day off so I need to do some retail therapy
But it sounds possible to join them all up with a reasonably neat end product.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:08 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karonious
Karonious is about to go shopping!! It's my day off so I need to do some retail therapy
But it sounds possible to join them all up with a reasonably neat end product.
if only it was that simple - nah they are alllllll different
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand

Just be aware that window sizes in NZ tend to be far bigger than in the UK.

Gill
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

And thermal lined curtains are good here as its feezing in my house in winter!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

And remember you will need to hang your curtains upside down as we are in the Southern Hemisphere, thats why you cant bring UK ones, they will hang upside down and you will look silly
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Measured up the living room, kitchen and dining room windows for some curtains today (you may recall I live in a greenhouse).

Popped to a shop in Tawa just out of interest to see what it would cost to have some made up. THey offered free making which I thought would be a winner.

So when they told me that it would cost just shy of $5000 in a very average material, i swallowed hard (trying to stifle a snigger, imagining the look on Dribble's face when I break the news to him).

And the cost of the material I actually liked? About $7500. *bom shiiinnnnng* (thats the drum and cymbol noise you get after the punchline in a joke).

"Oohhh shhhh**" (thats me wetting myself from laughing {mild panic laughing} all the way home).

Guess I will be talking to Karonious at some point about some curtain making!!!
It would be cheaper to buy a house to go with your existing curtains!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Holy Farts!

I was on to a winner then... I bought thermal lined fabric at $10/m in a sale at Spotlight... bought 30m to cover just three windows!

NZ houses have ridiculous amounts of glass, most of which run floor to ceiling, covering entire walls. This means a lack of window cills upon which to rest photos and suchlike, and means furnishing a room becomes a nightmare

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.