Currency exchange

Old Apr 2nd 2016, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Shorelands is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Currency exchange

We now have our Visas (Parent) and will have completed the sale of our house Friday 8th, we fly out to NZ 24th April. which is the best company that offers the highest exchange rate to transfer funds from UK? 200k plus
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 9:27 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency exchange

you would have to keep checking. HiFx is my preferred one and the rate changes constantly, as the market chances.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 9:29 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I used moneycorp who were easy to deal with but they wouldn't necessarily offer the best rate. One thing I learned was that, whoever you deal with, they will always want you to exchange today not tomorrow. I was forced to wait 10 days due to problems moving money from Halifax and I netted an extra $7k as a result.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Xetrade have worked for me - use AFT payment and there are no transaction fees
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shorelands View Post
We now have our Visas (Parent) and will have completed the sale of our house Friday 8th, we fly out to NZ 24th April. which is the best company that offers the highest exchange rate to transfer funds from UK? 200k plus
I use Moneycorp myself but all the foreign exchange companies like these (Hifx etc) will be very similar rate wise. Moneycorp take a commission of around 0.03 but may reduce this towards 0.02 if you beg and plead with them. Best rate is on the phone as it's a live rate whereas the online rate doesn't change as often, maybe every 5 or 10 minutes. Moneycorp charge a £9 transfer fee but will remove this charge if asked. Bank in the uk shouldn't charge to transfer out this money to Moneycorp and the NZ bank shouldn't charge to receive it. You will not get a better rate from any other type of exchange institution. Steer well clear of using the bank as their rates are low plus they'll charge you for the transfer.
We have recently transfered a huge sum and watched it dive $20 000 almost overnight when Cameron decided to inform the country there will be a referendum to leave the EU. Since then the pound has been pummeled by every currency and is very unstable at the moment. It won't be until after the referendum in July may it recover......depending on the result.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

We use Transferwise. Worked well to OZ and NZ.

Haven't tried to move very large sums yet, though.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat View Post
We use Transferwise. Worked well to OZ and NZ.

Haven't tried to move very large sums yet, though.
Yes we too use Transferwise but only for family and friends to send us small sums from the UK. Wouldn't use it for large sums as I don't think the rate is that great?