Currency

Old Apr 3rd 2013, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency

Originally Posted by downunderpom
I'll see your telepraph, and raise you a BBC....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13366011

This graph shows the condition of each member of the Eurozone, and the UK for comparison. They're all in deficit, except maybe Estonia. Including the UK.

The mainstream media, however, is owned and controlled by the people who own the central banks, A.K.A. "The People Who Broke The World", so can be manipulated. I tend to get my information from the 'alternate' media, taking care to avoid the obvious paranoids, and the 'tinfoil hat' brigade.

To (sort of) answer your earlier question about what I would do if I had money in the UK, my level of risk taking is higher than yours. As I said in an earlier post, I've been rich and I've been poor, so the idea of being poor doesn't scare me. For example, back in my 20's, I was put in a position of having to leave Rhodesia, due to the civil war which was going on, and various people wanting me to pick up a gun and go shoot people, which I objected to, mainly because those buggers shot back!! I left Rhodesia, and arrived in the UK with a haversack on my back and twenty quid in my pocket. Obviously, I survived, thrived, and went on to bigger 'n' better things.

My philosophical outlook is "Half a loaf is better than none." I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to what I would do with any UK money. (Hint: "Mrs DUP! Do you fancy a splurge at Marks 'n' Sparks Online Store? I'll use my Santander debit card to pay for it and use up this UK dosh!")

No prizes for guessing what Mrs Dup's response was! Man! That was a BIG parcel!!
I like your take on being poor once, not afraid of being there again. I too have had very, very little in my life I guess like most people. I have never been 'wealthy' and probably never will be. How many plod as I have mooted afore join to get rich? Thing is I AM afraid of losing money (not proud of that weakness..and it is a weakness IMO), I have lost a lot in my time but I think YOUR attitude is right. Why be so bothered about the shitty forex rate, get on and enjoy my new home. We have enough of a cushion in Kates wages, potential rental and other funds to see us for a few months should we end up in shit street. Thing is we will part own 2 homes and as you say they are hard to steal..like buried bullion. Be lucky!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a silly question , but how do you sell off silver coins should the time come to cash up? Does the dealer take another cut or do people actually buy them off trademe?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:07 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...&rptpath=0187-

Jewellers. Bullion dealers. Pawnshops. Advertise in local supermarket.

Sell bullion the same way that you'd sell anything else.

(Of course, the idea is to wait until the price goes considerably higher than it was when you bought...)
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:28 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

NZD still doing well against GBP, looks like RBNZ are over-committed on rates already so unlikely to step in as inflation up-ticks.

BOE have stopped printing for QE as inflation swings up well ahead of target and BOJ is going to try a money printing experiment that has taken everyone by surprise.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like BOJ are going to try a massive stimulus. Think I read they are going to pump in $140billion USD a month into infrastructure and bricks and mortar. Georgie boy take note.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:52 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

NOT when the little guy has the silver in his hot little hand!!!

Thsi is why I won't touch gold and silver futures - it's just paper. If the firm goes bust (i.e. the directors head for the Carribbean with your hard earned dosh) you have no comeback.
"Last week, a rubicon was crossed in the precious metals market as one of the largest banks in Europe defaulted on their gold contracts, and informed their customers there was no physical gold available for delivery.

ABN AMRO, the largest Dutch bank in the Eurozone, issued a letter to their gold contract customers of failure of delivery, and instead will pay account holders in a paper currency equivalent to the current spot value of the metal."

"ABN AMRO, the biggest Dutch bank, has sent a letter to its clients stating that they will no longer be able to take physical deliveries of the gold they have bought through ABN. Instead they are offered money at the current market rate for gold. Basically, instead of owning a risk free, physical asset (a gold bar or a gold coin), the bank’s clients now own a monetary claim on ABN AMRO, being exposed to the bank's credit risk"

http://www.examiner.com/article/larg...tomers?cid=rss

Oh, yeah! Wait for it....

I.
Told.
You.
So.

(I know - I'm childish. )

And did you notice that weasel phrase - "paper currency equivalent to the current spot value of the metal". As we all know, spot value is less than market value.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:34 pm
I like kittens.

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Sounds like BOJ are going to try a massive stimulus. Think I read they are going to pump in $140billion USD a month into infrastructure and bricks and mortar. Georgie boy take note.
Japan's public debt is 12.5 trillion dollars (US). They are talking about doubling their monetary base (printing double the JPY presently in existence) by the end of next year.

ARE THEY COMPLETELY NUTS???!!!

Quantitative (Monetary) easing DOES NOT WORK. (It doesn't work because these idiots print the money, then give it to the banks, who then loan it to people and charge them interest.) That's not going to stimulate anything, except bank profits.

Idiots.

Last edited by downunderpom; Apr 4th 2013 at 11:38 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:10 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Japan's public debt is 12.5 trillion dollars (US). They are talking about doubling their monetary base (printing double the JPY presently in existence) by the end of next year.

ARE THEY COMPLETELY NUTS???!!!

Quantitative (Monetary) easing DOES NOT WORK. (It doesn't work because these idiots print the money, then give it to the banks, who then loan it to people and charge them interest.) That's not going to stimulate anything, except bank profits.

Idiots.
Generally, quantitative (Monetary) easing cannot be a good thing. But I think when an economy hits rock bottom, the theory is that some money has to be generated some how so that there are some tax receipts coming in.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:19 am
I like kittens.

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Generally, quantitative (Monetary) easing cannot be a good thing. But I think when an economy hits rock bottom, the theory is that some money has to be generated some how so that there are some tax receipts coming in.
Unfortunately, the money which was generated was generated from thin air. There was nothing of any value behind it. It was also generated to bail out the banks, which were at the point of failure due to their bad gambling habits. I'm going to use a rude word, now: derivatives. The art of selling the same thing, over and over again, to different people, and creating an 'item of value' from thin air.

Did you know that the derivative exposure is somewhere around a QUADrillion dollars? That a thousand trillion. A million billion. A thousand million million.

$1,000,000,000,000,000.00

GLOBAL Gross Domestic Product is around 70 trillion.

There's not enough money in the world, and printing it just devalues what's already in existence. If they printed money, and handed out $10,000 to each household, and said "Here ya go! Enjoy!" then the money would get spent, and the economy would regenerate. But if they did that then the banks wouldn't make a dime, and the world is run by banksters.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, the money which was generated was generated from thin air. There was nothing of any value behind it. It was also generated to bail out the banks, which were at the point of failure due to their bad gambling habits. I'm going to use a rude word, now: derivatives. The art of selling the same thing, over and over again, to different people, and creating an 'item of value' from thin air.

Did you know that the derivative exposure is somewhere around a QUADrillion dollars? That a thousand trillion. A million billion. A thousand million million.

$1,000,000,000,000,000.00

GLOBAL Gross Domestic Product is around 70 trillion.

There's not enough money in the world, and printing it just devalues what's already in existence. If they printed money, and handed out $10,000 to each household, and said "Here ya go! Enjoy!" then the money would get spent, and the economy would regenerate. But if they did that then the banks wouldn't make a dime, and the world is run by banksters.
I note the GBP has rocketed to a heady 1.81 odd today. Boy, do I feel fiscally bouyed! Yeah right!!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:39 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Currency

Japan is trying to stop a massive debt bubble from unwinding further (as it has been for years). Luckily only massive idiots would grow an economy on a cheap debt asset bubble, we are so lucky that NZ...O...Oh wait!

ABN Amro didn't run out of gold, they sold their physical dealing business to Deutsche Bank. They just retailed it anyway, never held physical reserves (for obvious reasons). ABN will now switch to UBS to supply precious (My Preciouses!) metals to supply preppers and manufacturing businesses.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:46 am
I like kittens.

Just to put it in perspective, here's a comparison of the debt figures for OZ, NZ and UK. If anyone wants to see some really depressing figures, you can see each country's debt here: http://www.economist.com/content/global_debt_clock

PIIGS have really nasty numbers.
Attached Thumbnails Currency-world-debt-06-04-2013.png  
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:54 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Sell JPY buy NZD?

I can't see RBNZ being able to hold onto low rates in the face of a Fitch warning that housing credit is getting out of control.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 6:27 am
I like kittens.

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Sell JPY buy NZD?

I can't see RBNZ being able to hold onto low rates in the face of a Fitch warning that housing credit is getting out of control.
If you're talking about shorting JPY, good luck. If I had any JPY I would sell it as if it was burning my fingers!!

WRT RBNZ raising interest rates, I think this is more of a 'shot across the bows', to make people slow down. If they do raise interest rates, there will be another run on the NZ$, bumping up the value. That's the LAST thing they want!
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:00 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Currency

Or is a housing boom with loss of credit rating and bust the last thing they want? Their choice either way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.