Currency

Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Also some people dont have much money in the UK anyway so they arent really losing it by moving if they just bring enough for a rental etc. I dont mean me personally, just in general. I can understand why people who have a lot more money find it harder
Indeed.

Certainly IF that money is crucial to actually making the move.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:15 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

If one is on the bones of one's backside then buying nz dollars with sterling means very little. Kind of, 'never had it to lose'.

So I fully understand Scottish Stacey's point of view, generally speaking.

However, those who worry about the exchange rate are understandably regarding the exchange rate. Especially if their plans can't be altered and they have to make the currency purchase soon.

Which is what TL said

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 13th 2013 at 11:19 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, i dont blame them. If i was selling a house after working hard to pay it off then i'd be the exact same.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:49 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Reasonable jump today, after the RBNZ said "No change" to interest rates: 1.80.6 to 1.82.6, exactly 2 cents better, GBP -> NZD
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

And even better: 183.607

Last edited by julesnye; Mar 14th 2013 at 6:21 pm. Reason: error in rate
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Today, BOE's Mervyn King states that sterling has "fallen enough". He finally looks like he wants to put the brakes on the fall. His efforts to talk down the currency (winning the undeclared "currency wars") have worked so well that they are having a negative effect on the UK economy. While UK exports should be cheaper, inputs (such as oil used in manufacturing etc) have risen. Therefore, increases in exports are being offset by rising input costs (and also rising imports). I hope that King has finally seen that the low value of sterling is a drag on economic growth here. It would be nice to see sterling start to rise so that I can sell up and come home to NZ!!!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trafford
Today, BOE's Mervyn King states that sterling has "fallen enough". He finally looks like he wants to put the brakes on the fall. His efforts to talk down the currency (winning the undeclared "currency wars") have worked so well that they are having a negative effect on the UK economy. While UK exports should be cheaper, inputs (such as oil used in manufacturing etc) have risen. Therefore, increases in exports are being offset by rising input costs (and also rising imports). I hope that King has finally seen that the low value of sterling is a drag on economic growth here. It would be nice to see sterling start to rise so that I can sell up and come home to NZ!!!
Here's to a new lease of life for the pound eh? He also mooted that the UK was at the bottom of the abyss and the green shoots of recovery were round the corner. That was the sub text anyway.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Here's to a new lease of life for the pound eh? He also mooted that the UK was at the bottom of the abyss and the green shoots of recovery were round the corner. That was the sub text anyway.
I can only hope, Genesis! But every time I hear "green shoots" I always think of that UK politician (can't remember who) using the phrase way back in 2009/10. Must be the slowest growing shoots ever. What I did notice about NZ is the general optimism amongst people, whereas here in the UK just about everyone I know (and the media also) is all pessimism, doom and gloom. The last few years is like having the Sword of Damocles over your head, because everyone expects things to be the same or worse. Hopefully things are changing here, but I am looking forward to living somewhere a bit more positive (even if it is a sometimes deluded optimism!).
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trafford
But every time I hear "green shoots" I always think of that UK politician (can't remember who) using the phrase way back in 2009/10. Must be the slowest growing shoots ever.
Do you mean Norman Lamont? That was back in 1991!

You have been in the UK a long time!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Clappy
Do you mean Norman Lamont? That was back in 1991!

You have been in the UK a long time!
Not quite that long! Arrived 1997. Missed the Tories, but just in time for "New Labour" and "things can only get better". I had to google it, but I found out which politician said it in 2009 - Shriti Vadera. There was a bit of a song and dance about it at the time.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

but just in time for "New Labour" and "things can only get better"
Yikes! I heard that playing in the Warehouse today and felt sick.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Transferring my money to NZ in just over a week, come on you pound!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:01 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisWilson7
Been there, done that (Albeit in Feb 2011, all I'm saying is I know what you are going through. I set a rate on automatic buy and let the brokers deal with it as I'd just about lost my nerve by then !)
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Alas heard reported today that the UK has had some of its worst trade figures since 1989 when the shit really hit the fan. Not likely to bolster the pound this news eh? Good Lord the pound is knackered.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a kiwi hoping to move back to uk so it is better for me! Don't know why anyone would move to Nz - it is unaffordable unless you are a billionaire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.