Currency

Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency

Now that is an erudite post that provides plenty of food for thought!!

A very interesting view.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Genesis
So, so, so true. It was on the radio last night that folk reckon (kiwis now, not whinging gits from the Uk like me) that NZ has taken a BIG hit in respect to the quality of life in the last 10 years. It ain't what it was...no way. Been here 8 years and it is on its head. Would I move from the UK now to NZ?? Not on your nelly.

I'd go along with that.
The new New Zealand 'life' we investigated / reccied in 2003 & then migrated to in 2004 isn't the NZ of today or even the past couple of years. TBH if we were looking at an NZ migration today , we wouldn't make the move. It would be financially plain daft for us to do so.
Thing is we don't dislike it here at all. It has some very good points to it. Just the so-called 'lifestyle' myth isn't there for us. It is financially very restrictive . Mind you it's the same for Kiwis and migrants all around us these days.

I'm all for people moving around the globe if that is their earnest wish. Heck, I spend my time trying to help with NZ visa options. However, I do feel that it's more important than ever to keep it real financially when looking to NZ.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trafford
People are very bad at anticipating what will make them happy at some time in the future. We tend to project our present feelings forward in time, and this is usually a mistake. I know this at an intellectual level, but on an emotional level I can't seem to find an alternative!

However, having choices doesn't necessarily mean greater happiness. If you want to buy a laptop and you have a choice of two, then the decision is fairly easy and you go home fairly confident you made the right choice, and happy with your product. If you have a choice of 20, the decision is much more difficult, you may go home wondering if you made the right choice and be less satisfied with the product.

When we arrived in the UK 15 years ago, we were so broke we had no choice but to tough it out. And things got better over the years. Now we are awash with choices and have so much more than we arrived with. We would have a comfortable life in NZ. A move will certainly be less difficult this time. So why is the decision to go back to NZ so hard? Having an escape plan, or choices, can sometimes make things worse.
Will your life in NZ be more 'comfortable' from a fiscal point though in comparison to the one you have in the UK? Back in 2005 we were way better off fiscally by moving to NZ in relation to our finances in the UK.

We still do okay here but we have done soooooooooooo much money since being here it is not funny. Our house is worth probably less than what we paid for it (wee bit of over zealous capitalisation going on there!!) we have lost a huge amount in a bad investment and the cost of living here has rocketed. Everything is silly money except petrol, flat screen TVs and car ins.

We have seemingly low over heads but manage to plough our way through a vast sum of cash each year. No champagne, no debt, no boats, no big hols, no private education, just 3 kids, 2 cats and a couple of old cars.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:48 pm
`

Originally Posted by trafford
So why is the decision to go back to NZ so hard?
Perhaps because it is another leap of faith but at an older age .

I ask myself the same when thinking of a move away from NZ, perhaps back to the UK.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:02 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Plan B / Escape hatch

Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:10 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

We manage to have meals out and wine most nights, go to cinema regular, days out, and holidays going to raratonga later in the year! I buy clothes not so much but still buy some, and I only work randomly as a demonstrator, not worked since November! Have two teenage daughters at home, a cat, One car and a nice house with a mortgage, we do more here than the UK and save money

I'm happy here, just wanted to say its not all doom and gloom, I'm Living the dream thankyou
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:23 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
We manage to have meals out and wine most nights, go to cinema regular, days out, and holidays going to raratonga later in the year! I buy clothes not so much but still buy some, and I only work randomly as a demonstrator, not worked since November! Have two teenage daughters at home, a cat, One car and a nice house with a mortgage, we do more here than the UK and save money

I'm happy here, just wanted to say its not all doom and gloom, I'm Living the dream thankyou
You are quite right, it isn't all doom and gloom, especially when you've been here for a while. After a few years all that matters is how many $$ you earn and how many you spend.

But when looking at moving out to NZ now, the exchange rate does make a difference a to how comfortable your first few months / years are going to be.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
You are quite right, it isn't all doom and gloom, especially when you've been here for a while. After a few years all that matters is how many $$ you earn and how many you spend.

But when looking at moving out to NZ now, the exchange rate does make a difference a to how comfortable your first few months / years are going to be.
Well all I can say Is I'm lucky we came here in 2007
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
This may rattle a few cages. But, here goes;

Surely a key factor in emigrating avoiding a situation where you're putting yourself in a position whereby you will feel 'trapped'. This could happen anywhere you don't call home.
Once you step off the comfort zone into the unknown, the horizon can change very rapidly, life is unpredictable and obstacles that werent there suddenly appear, and promises made may disappear.

The very word emigration suggests to me a move of permanence, you go lock stock and barrel with no intention of returning. For us there was no Plan B, no escape hatch - we could just about to afford the move, we had no jobs when we arrived here and did not really know what was achievable in terms of pay.

Honestly, I think of all the innovators and pioneers of the world and if they hadn't any spirit of adventure to step out of the comfort zone and feel the fear anyway, then we'd all still be living in the dark ages.

At the end of the day, in any kind of project we're generally constrained by the funding available and you allocate or apply whatever resources you have to achieve the end result. Like any design or construction project, the finishing touches and bright ideas are always more expensive than you thought they would be.

It's not about being trapped at all, it's about survival; you can either sink or swim or flounder about somewhere in the middle. Some will get a life raft, some hit the wall and simply give up and some keep on treading water.

I'm still afloat, but sometimes my arms and legs are aching!.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:14 am
`

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
After a few years all that matters is how many $$ you earn and how many you spend.
So true.

I agree. Those coming out certainly need to take it into account.
Mind you , we did just that back in 2003 and 2004. Even then the exchange rate took a sudden swing between us finishing the application and finally arriving to settle.

As for how one manages to live & what one can afford or not ,as the case may be . Well that's all down to what $$ you take home.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:19 am
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

It depresses me a bit that a lot of you are saying we have chosen a bad time to try and move.

I like to think you can't put a price on the sense of adventure, taking control of your life and trying to change it for the better.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:46 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the way this capitalism, we really should get round to inventing a better system as the need for money does rather detract from the pleasure of life.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Synky
It depresses me a bit that a lot of you are saying we have chosen a bad time to try and move.

I like to think you can't put a price on the sense of adventure, taking control of your life and trying to change it for the better.
Just being honest about the terrible rate of exchange, it is in unchartered territory just now and how much money you have for your move does mean a lot for most people doing this.

If your sense of adventure and wish to improve your life dictates that you come inspite of the forex issues then that is great.

But you have to temper wonderful enthusiasm with reality and NZ is a very expensive, low wage place to be, it is a changing place and there have been changes in the 8 years I have been here and alas not for the better IMO.

NZ is unpopulous, it is a challenge to start a new life and it is a very beautiful and starkly different place to the UK in so many ways. If that is what you are after and you know you can afford to get by then try not to be put off by negative posts too much. They provide balance and two sides to a story. Good luck in your adventures!!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Synky

Dont let negatives put you off, I think clothes and stuff is getting a bit cheaper in my opinion, some people Just live above there means, like having to have two cars and hot tubs and stuff, we always lived within our means so we do fine x

Our car is 13 years old, our house was $350,000 we didnt get in debt for a Huge mortgage so we could live our life

Last edited by love30stm; Feb 26th 2013 at 7:47 am.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
NZ is a very expensive, low wage place to be, it is a changing place and there have been changes in the 8 years I have been here and alas not for the better IMO.
I don't think NZ is expensive, some things are, some things aren't. You can't keep comparing prices to the UK, things have moved on there as well in the last 8 years! We don't struggle to make ends meet and I don't know anyone that does, maybe it's my age group 40-50?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.