Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Culture Shock - anyone recognise ?

Culture Shock - anyone recognise ?

Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Culture Shock - anyone recognise ?

This was sent to me today by a friend in Oz . Just thought I would share.

These are the four stages of culture shock: Honeymoon period, Rejection, Regression and Isolation, and Acceptance. Everyone goes through them to different degrees and at different speeds, and some people might never get out of the Rejection phase!

Honeymoon Period

While preparing to relocate and during the first days or weeks in the new country, a person will experience a Honeymoon Period during which he or she will feel extreme joy and enthusiasm. Responding to the new environment with fascination, an individual will enjoy the differences in fashion, food, social customs, etc. This period is exhilarating, full of observation and discoveries, lasting a few days to a few weeks. Like most honeymoons, however, this stage eventually ends. "When an individual sets out to study, live or work in a new country, he or she will invariably experience difficulties with language, housing, friends, schoolwork..."

Rejection

The next phase of Culture Shock Syndrome is referred to as the period of Rejection. This stage is marked by criticism, resentment, and anger. When an individual sets out to study, live or work in a new country, he or she will invariably experience difficulties with language, housing, friends, schoolwork, and understanding the idiosyncrasies of the local culture, often resulting in frustration. The Rejection period can be triggered by the realization that, as an outsider in a new culture, language or misunderstandings of cultural cues can often make the simplest task seem like a daunting challenge. Furthermore, because the high expectations set during the Honeymoon Period appear much farther out of reach, the individual feels disillusioned.

Regression & Isolation

The extreme letdown experienced during the Rejection Period prompts the individual to become critical of his new environment--of the people, their culture, and of all the perceived differences with the culture at home. This letdown often propels an individual into the stage of Regression & Isolation. In this stage, the culture from which the individual has come is idealized. For example, an Italian student studying in the U.S. for a semester may indiscriminately view his Italian university, past experiences or friendships as superior, regardless of any problems inherent to those relationships. The student risks further isolation from the new environment. Symptoms exhibited during this period include anxiety, sadness, homesickness, and anger. These feelings manifest themselves in changes in behavior: inappropriate anger over slight delays and minor frustrations, changes in sleep patterns, compulsive eating and/or drinking, irritability, poor concentration, and unexplainable crying. The stage of Rejection and Regression is variable in length but can last up to 6-8 weeks.

Adjustment & Adaptation

Gradually the crisis of regression and isolation is resolved allowing the individual to begin recovery in the Adjustment & Adaptation stages. To resolve these feelings, the individual has to employ particular skills and resources essential for adjustment, as described in Coping with Culture Shock.

I didn't get sent the bit about coping. Ah well!

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 16th 2007 at 12:53 am. Reason: colour
Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:05 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Culture Shock - anyone recognise ?

Sure do. I'm at stage 3 with occasional glimpses of stage 4. However, even if I get to the acceptance part, no-one will ever convince me that NZ houses are equal in quality to the UK or that NZ Cadbury's is as good as UK Cadbury's
Old Jun 16th 2007, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Wellyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
Sure do. I'm at stage 3 with occasional glimpses of stage 4. However, even if I get to the acceptance part, no-one will ever convince me that NZ houses are equal in quality to the UK or that NZ Cadbury's is as good as UK Cadbury's
Heh, I'm and expat kiwi and even I'd second that!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:19 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

If the drinking is anything to go by, I've been in Stage 3 since arrival

Otherwise we are gradually inching forward to stage 4.

Just wish we could accept and adapt much more quickerer!

Last edited by Wiz'n'Ton; Jun 16th 2007 at 8:20 pm. Reason: Schpellink
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:33 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon I'm somewhere between 2 (on a good day!) and 3 (today!!) but we've only been here 9 weeks, so keep telling myself that it's early days
Old Jun 17th 2007, 11:17 pm
BartonThink

Originally Posted by BEVS here

These are the four stages of culture shock: Honeymoon period, Rejection, Regression and Isolation, and Acceptance. Everyone goes through them to different degrees and at different speeds, and some people might never get out of the Rejection phase!

Honeymoon Period

While preparing to relocate and during the first days or weeks in the new country, a person will experience a Honeymoon Period during which he or she will feel extreme joy and enthusiasm. Responding to the new environment with fascination, an individual will enjoy the differences in fashion, food, social customs, etc. This period is exhilarating, full of observation and discoveries, lasting a few days to a few weeks. Like most honeymoons, however, this stage eventually ends. "When an individual sets out to study, live or work in a new country, he or she will invariably experience difficulties with language, housing, friends, schoolwork..."

Rejection

The next phase of Culture Shock Syndrome is referred to as the period of Rejection. This stage is marked by criticism, resentment, and anger. When an individual sets out to study, live or work in a new country, he or she will invariably experience difficulties with language, housing, friends, schoolwork, and understanding the idiosyncrasies of the local culture, often resulting in frustration. The Rejection period can be triggered by the realization that, as an outsider in a new culture, language or misunderstandings of cultural cues can often make the simplest task seem like a daunting challenge. Furthermore, because the high expectations set during the Honeymoon Period appear much farther out of reach, the individual feels disillusioned.

Regression & Isolation

The extreme letdown experienced during the Rejection Period prompts the individual to become critical of his new environment--of the people, their culture, and of all the perceived differences with the culture at home. This letdown often propels an individual into the stage of Regression & Isolation. In this stage, the culture from which the individual has come is idealized. For example, an Italian student studying in the U.S. for a semester may indiscriminately view his Italian university, past experiences or friendships as superior, regardless of any problems inherent to those relationships. The student risks further isolation from the new environment. Symptoms exhibited during this period include anxiety, sadness, homesickness, and anger. These feelings manifest themselves in changes in behavior: inappropriate anger over slight delays and minor frustrations, changes in sleep patterns, compulsive eating and/or drinking, irritability, poor concentration, and unexplainable crying. The stage of Rejection and Regression is variable in length but can last up to 6-8 weeks.

Adjustment & Adaptation

Gradually the crisis of regression and isolation is resolved allowing the individual to begin recovery in the Adjustment & Adaptation stages. To resolve these feelings, the individual has to employ particular skills and resources essential for adjustment, as described in Coping with Culture Shock.

I've been thru it all many times over. But what exactly is the culture on New Zealand?

There isn't any...

Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:24 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I've been at 1 for 18 months
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

groucho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here

Honeymoon Period

Rejection

Regression & Isolation

Adjustment & Adaptation

Thanks for sharing this, its good to reflect where one is at during these sometimes very challenging times.
The honey moon period is so true, when I spoke to folk back home after being here about 5 weeks it all sounded so positive, then a few weeks later things started to change - [probably at stage 2] Then you want to rewind all that you had told folk to a certain degree - as you cry out - its not so easy now!
I'm probably hovering at stage 3 to 4 depending on how the day has been and what probs I've had to encounter.