Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

culture clash in Southland as migrants isolated and ignored

culture clash in Southland as migrants isolated and ignored

Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:05 am

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future
Default culture clash in Southland as migrants isolated and ignored

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaystartim...4152a6442.html
Shadbolt acknowledged abuse was an issue and was reported as saying he'd "hate to be wearing a turban" walking up Invercargill's main street. He planned to meet skinheads to explain how important immigrants were.

Anyone moving to banjo country?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:11 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: culture clash in Southland as migrants isolated and ignored

Oh look, people from the UK wouldn't understand what it's like for these rural communities where in many cases they've never even met someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. You're lucky in the UK that people of different countries have been around all your lives - my mother is actually nervous around black people - she is 72 and never saw a black person unless it was on the telly until about 5 years ago. What do you do? It'll work out. It always does - after a fashion and after a while.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:04 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Oh look, people from the UK wouldn't understand what it's like for these rural communities where in many cases they've never even met someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. You're lucky in the UK that people of different countries have been around all your lives - my mother is actually nervous around black people - she is 72 and never saw a black person unless it was on the telly until about 5 years ago. What do you do? It'll work out. It always does - after a fashion and after a while.
Very good point. Top comment. Karma on its way
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

A a little light hearted reply in the form of an copied email from an expat in southland, just to show a sense of humour.....

ADVICE FOR NORTH ISLANDERS

Rules for visiting the South Island are as follows:

1. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.

2. Turn your cap right, your head ain't crooked.

3. Let's get this straight: it's called a 'gravel road.' I drive a Ute because I want to. No matter how slow you drive, you're gonna get dust on your Lexus. Drive it or get out of the way.

4. They are cattle. That's why they smell like cattle. They smell like money to us. Get over it. Don't like it ? SH1 goes north, find it and F**k off

5. So you have a $60,000 car. We're impressed. We have $250,000 Harvesters that are driven only 3 weeks a year.

6. Every person in the South waves. It's called being friendly. Try to understand the concept.

7. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of geese/pheasants/ducks/quail are comin' in during the season, we WILL shoot it outta your hand. You better hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.

8. Yeah. We eat trout, salmon, deer and duck. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the corner bait shop.

9. The 'Opener' refers to the first day of duck season. It's a religious holiday , we will observe it !.

10. We open doors for women. That's applied to all women, regardless of age.

11. No, there's no 'vegetarian special' on the menu. Order steak, or you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the 2 pounds of ham and turkey.

12. When we set a table, there are three main dishes: meats, vegetables and breads. We use three spices: salt, pepper, and Watties Tomato sauce ! Oh, yeah We don't care what you folks in Ponsonby call that stuff you eat . . IT AIN'T REAL CHILI!!

13. You bring 'Coke' into my house, it better be brown, wet and served over ice. You bring 'Mary Jane' into my house, she better be cute, know how to shoot, drive a truck, and have long hair.

14. College and High School Rugby is as important here as the All Blacks, the Highlanders and the Crusaders and a heap more fun to watch.

15. Yeah, we have golf courses. But don't hit the water hazards – it spooks the fish.

16. Turn down that blasted car stereo! That thumpity-thump cr @ p ain't music, anyway. We don't want to hear it anymore than we want to see your boxers! Refer back to #1!

A true Southener will send this to at least 10 others and a few new friends that probably won't get it, but we're friendly so we share in hopes you can begin to understand what a real life is all about!!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

About 5 years ago when my son in law came to NZ he was offered a house for a $1 in Invercargill by the Government if he relocated there to work. At that time it was the second highest paid town out of Auckland cause no one wanted to go there to work! Not sure what strings were attached to take up the offer but needless to say he didn't take it up. LOL!!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

blaengarw25 will become famous soon enough

I lived in Invercargill for a couple of years back in the 1990s. My mother and brother still live there. It's a very "white" city with a very low level of migrant intakes and unfortunately there's a lot of skinheads around - particularly troublesome, you soon learn fast to keep out of thier way and ingore them if they start to hassle you. In all fairness Invercargill's a great city, only drawback is the weather, it can be very cold in the winter & very changeable in summer with a lot of showery & windy days. Very friendly people but thier way of thinking is quite conservative (this is changing a bit nowadays). Cheaper to buy houses of course & cost of living is much lower (has one of the highest disposable income rates in NZ) & good standard of living. Be very, very prepared for the winter - a huge must, power bills can skyrocket through the roof! Beautiful scenery & PT (Polyteck or Tafe) is free - only one of it's kind in NZ.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by blaengarw25
& PT (Polyteck or Tafe) is free - only one of it's kind in NZ.
Yes, I find this fact very interesting - have wondered why this model cannot be duplicated elsewhere in NZ, or is it somehow connected to the part about 'highest disposable income in NZ' and somehow funded out of that income?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I too spent a year there in the 90s. Its a fantastic place as a base for exploring Fiordland, Stewart Island etc from. I believe the polytech free tuition fees were introduced by major - Tim Shadbolt , as an incentive to encourage people to move to Invercargill . The population at the time , was was steadily decreasing. Dairy farming has given it a bit of a boost in recent years.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

blaengarw25 will become famous soon enough

No, this link should help explain more:

http://www.sit.ac.nz/

Due to this, Invercargill in recent years has undergone a revival especially in the city centre with cafes/restaurants popping up.

It's fairly cheap to rent but has seen increases due to influxes of students.

It's funny because Southlander's are not particularly fond of Aucklanders, yet they go and vote an ex-Aucklander, Tim Shadbolt, to be their mayor. He's done a great job of putting Invercargill on the map and is responsible for the revival. He's a good mayor in many Invercargillian's eyes.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:47 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by blaengarw25
It's funny because Southlander's are not particularly fond of Aucklanders, yet they go and vote an ex-Aucklander, Tim Shadbolt, to be their mayor. He's done a great job of putting Invercargill on the map and is responsible for the revival. He's a good mayor in many Invercargillian's eyes.
I spent a day in Invercargill a while back before a local tramp and I really really liked the place! It was a beautiful day and I was walking around thinking "Why do people criticise this place?".

But....I don't live there and one day is not really representative of living there 24/7 year after year.

My gut feeling is that I would really like living there cos im outdoorsy type of person - but I am also intolerant of rednecks...
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

This is what becomes of tourists in the south island...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4726018a11.html
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:15 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Browner_

That's awful.

But it's not Southland is it - it's Nelson ... the thread is about Southland so I'm not sure what the relevance is??
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it's relevant to point out that most tourists to NZ meet their sticky ends at the hands of homicidal maniacs? People need to be warned!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:15 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

thats because the homicidal maniacs are much more effective at their jobs. The regular run of the mill maniacs need to tighten up a bit i think.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_

Yes and the North Island - what about the poor innocent Karen Aim from Scotland murdered last year in Taupo - it is not only the South Island -dont keep having a dig at the South Island for stuff that goes on everywhere!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.