Cucumber News

Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cucumber News

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I've been checking cucumber prices on our travels, here are my findings.

Australia (Aldi) AUS$1
Australia (Coles) AUS$2
Hong Kong (M&S) £1.50 - imported from Spain
Hong Kong (Supermarket) £2
UK (Asda) 42p

Dunedin whopping NZ$5.99 (£3.43) is going to take some beating.
Karma for making me laugh this non-shaky morning.
I loves you I does.

Cue the defenders of the NZ cucumber prices.

You do know they will be considered almost 'in season' as it's nearly summer now ( except for the weather which is pants ) so we should consider ourselves lucky they've gone down a couple of dollars .

Oh well. Soon the slightly squishy ones that aren't selling coz of the price will be 2 for a $5
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked in one of those massive greenhouses that grow commercially in the past and they're heated for a big part of the year at least on the South Island. Every year everything is pulled out and replanted. The one I worked in was growing tomatoes and towards the end of a growing season the tomatoes get smaller and the vines get more and more disease ridden so the quality isn't really what they consider supermarket standard. There's about 8 weeks where the new plants are replanted and then constantly pruned and fixed with clips onto wires suspended from the ceiling and then picking begins again of the fruit but it doesn't matter how much you heat the glasshouses as sometimes there's just not enough sunlight to make the plants produce all year long and I imagine the same would go for cucumbers.
So what I'm saying is maybe that's why cucumbers are more expensive here and I wouldn't really want to buy a cucumber flown in from another country like they do in the UK as there's a massive carbon footprint.
Just one of the many useless pieces of information I have going around in my head.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I've been checking cucumber prices on our travels, here are my findings.

Australia (Aldi) AUS$1
Australia (Coles) AUS$2
Hong Kong (M&S) £1.50 - imported from Spain
Hong Kong (Supermarket) £2
UK (Asda) 42p

Dunedin whopping NZ$5.99 (£3.43) is going to take some beating.
Reckon you're being ripped off in Oz bro - Raeward Marshlands today!
Attached Thumbnails Cucumber News-20161118_121227_resized.jpg  
Old Nov 18th 2016, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SSky
I've worked in one of those massive greenhouses that grow commercially in the past and they're heated for a big part of the year at least on the South Island. Every year everything is pulled out and replanted. The one I worked in was growing tomatoes and towards the end of a growing season the tomatoes get smaller and the vines get more and more disease ridden so the quality isn't really what they consider supermarket standard. There's about 8 weeks where the new plants are replanted and then constantly pruned and fixed with clips onto wires suspended from the ceiling and then picking begins again of the fruit but it doesn't matter how much you heat the glasshouses as sometimes there's just not enough sunlight to make the plants produce all year long and I imagine the same would go for cucumbers.
So what I'm saying is maybe that's why cucumbers are more expensive here and I wouldn't really want to buy a cucumber flown in from another country like they do in the UK as there's a massive carbon footprint.
Just one of the many useless pieces of information I have going around in my head.
I'd happily buy a freighted in cucumber it was half the price. There's a carbon footprint on SI cucumber grown in a big greenhouse too. I don't see a problem with year round sourcing, some things will never be grown in NZ or the UK like bananas no matter how much global warming there is.
Also Spain is as near to the UK and nearer, than most parts of Australia is to NZ.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking News.

Aldi cucumbers are 39p.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 11:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

2 telegraph cucumbers for $2.49 in New World, Whangaparaoa. I only wanted one
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking News.

Aldi cucumbers are 39p.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Cryoslider is an unknown quantity at this point

My Wife is in Auckland at the moment and we were comparing some prices and at the moment she saw 3 Avocados (large) for $4 where as tescos were doing 1 large for £1 so cheaper in NZ ....wow! god job I like Avocados
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cryoslider
My Wife is in Auckland at the moment and we were comparing some prices and at the moment she saw 3 Avocados (large) for $4 where as tescos were doing 1 large for £1 so cheaper in NZ ....wow! god job I like Avocados
Like most things here you will find relatively cheap in season but heaven forbid if you find yourself wanting an avocado in middle of winter; you'll either be paying $5 each or trying to source some black market contraband.

Sky high avocado prices drive black market | Stuff.co.nz
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Like most things here you will find relatively cheap in season but heaven forbid if you find yourself wanting an avocado in middle of winter; you'll either be paying $5 each or trying to source some black market contraband.

Sky high avocado prices drive black market | Stuff.co.nz
Or for Xmas, strawberries and avocados skyrocket in price approx the week leading up to Xmas day.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 9:13 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm going to sound like a right old bore but I don't think we should see 39p cucumbers as a good thing, no more than $6 ones! I don't want food to be produced as cheaply as possible, just a fair price. I also think it's sensible that in a small geographically isolated country fresh produce is seasonally priced.

Having said that, I am loving the greater selection of fruit and vegetables (among other groceries) for lower cost here in Oz. It tickles me to buy "locally grown" pineapples, figs, mangos etc from the Farmer's Market. Can't afford the feijoas though
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I know I'm going to sound like a right old bore but I don't think we should see 39p cucumbers as a good thing, no more than $6 ones! I don't want food to be produced as cheaply as possible, just a fair price. I also think it's sensible that in a small geographically isolated country fresh produce is seasonally priced.

Having said that, I am loving the greater selection of fruit and vegetables (among other groceries) for lower cost here in Oz. It tickles me to buy "locally grown" pineapples, figs, mangos etc from the Farmer's Market. Can't afford the feijoas though
Agree - but if you lived in Kerikeri you could add persimmons, kiwifruit, tamarillos, passionfruit..... and even cheap feijoas and avocados - unfortunately not pineapples though :-(
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 9:43 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Agree - but if you lived in Kerikeri you could add persimmons, kiwifruit, tamarillos, passionfruit..... and even cheap feijoas and avocados - unfortunately not pineapples though :-(
Although it is stunningly beautiful and has a lovely cast-away feel, Northland has never appealed to me, other than as a tourist destination, because it rains more than I care for, floods more than I care for, has more tourists in summer than I care for, is more humid in summer, is too parochial, and to get anywhere else in NZ you have to go through Auckland.

I'd love the cheap feijoas though!
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 9:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cryoslider
Don't do that . It is misleading. For one thing the UK is going into winter and NZ is hopefully approaching summer. I have to say that $1.75 for an avocado at the end of a UK autumn is a rather good price.

They will be shortly virtually giving away avocados here as they don't keep ,
whereas a few weeks ago they were many $$ each and that drove an illicit black market.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kotare
We have a passion fruit vine growing against the house .... I know! in the wops of Canterbury on very free draining land!
I don't know even when I bought it, it must have either been given to me or I bought it as a mystery plant from a market or something.
When it first produced fruit I didn't know what they were, I guessed they were kiwi fruit but after feeding most of them to the goats I realised once ripened they were passionfruit!
The thing fruits prolifically and the flowers are gorgeous

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.