British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cucumber News (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cucumber-news-881215/)

Bo-Jangles Nov 29th 2016 4:53 am

Re: Cucumber News

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12116559)
Still $4.49 at my local 4 square this morning

I reckon its the likes of them that you see doing massive shops in Pak na Save buying up all the specials and then selling it to their shop for twice the price. :thumbdown: I saw a lady last year with a whole trolley full of watermelons.

SSky Nov 29th 2016 6:46 pm

$1.29 at PaknSave this weekend.

A Rush And A Push Dec 1st 2016 11:53 pm

Fruit shop a few kms from me just posted on Facebook...4 avos for $1 and cucumbers 40 cents each!!!
Never seen them below $1 each before. Must be a bumper year.

bourbon-biscuit Dec 2nd 2016 8:27 am

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push (Post 12119436)
Fruit shop a few kms from me just posted on Facebook...4 avos for $1 and cucumbers 40 cents each!!!

Not to rain on your parade or 'owt but at that price you just know those avos are going to be brown-grey. Either that or it'll be the best weekend ever!

A Rush And A Push Dec 2nd 2016 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 12119608)
Not to rain on your parade or 'owt but at that price you just know those avos are going to be brown-grey. Either that or it'll be the best weekend ever!

They look alright on the pic posted - don't know how to upload a picture from FB on my phone onto here. Nolas Orchard is the page.

MrsFychan Dec 5th 2016 4:29 am

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push (Post 12119436)

their those little chunky cucumbers for 40cents, the telescope cucumbers are $1.95.

Clappy Dec 9th 2016 11:59 pm

In the supermarket today there was a special offer on - get two telegraph cucumbers for $3!

I've gone off the idea of eating one now so I didn't buy one.

MrsFychan Dec 10th 2016 2:43 am

$1.25 for telescopic cucumber at local PaknSave this week

jmh Dec 14th 2016 2:09 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12125949)
$1.25 for telescopic cucumber at local PaknSave this week

Do you mean a telegraph cucumber?

Kotare Dec 17th 2016 8:45 pm

Despite my usual defence of kiwi farmers/prices. My wife just bought me 'The World in 2017'(Economist) in the UK for £8, in NZ it is $35 - arghh!!

barnsleymat Dec 18th 2016 3:13 pm

Cucumbers are 42p in Lidl.

Salad for tea and it's winter, this is how the other half live.

Kotare Dec 18th 2016 11:13 pm

and if you want real heartburn $17 for 700gm of cherries in NW (used to get a kg for $6 in Golden Bay off the roadside).

scrubbedexpat094 Dec 18th 2016 11:49 pm

Telegraph cucumbers $1.89 in NW and $1.49 in Countdown. I did get mildly excited when I saw cucumber $1.29 in Countdown but it was for a Lebanese one :ohmy:

bourbon-biscuit Dec 19th 2016 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12132116)
Telegraph cucumbers $1.89 in NW and $1.49 in Countdown. I did get mildly excited when I saw cucumber $1.29 in Countdown but it was for a Lebanese one :ohmy:

That's week of Xmas prices!

Here in Oz it is all about the mangoes (well, in my world in Oz). I am buying them by the tray (7-8) for $10. It turns out you can have too many mangoes after all ....

scrubbedexpat094 Dec 19th 2016 8:50 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 12132336)
That's week of Xmas prices!

Here in Oz it is all about the mangoes (well, in my world in Oz). I am buying them by the tray (7-8) for $10. It turns out you can have too many mangoes after all ....

Time to make mango chutney :wub:

scrubbedexpat094 Dec 29th 2016 5:32 am

This fabulous thread can be voted for here http://britishexpats.com/forum/loung...2016-a-889214/

Charismatic Dec 29th 2016 7:50 am

Think someone has changed the URL.

scrubbedexpat094 Dec 30th 2016 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12138236)
Think someone has changed the URL.

Bloomin' 'eck. Well just head over to The Lounge anyway :p:lol:

barnsleymat Dec 31st 2016 6:41 pm

I've only just seen that Cucumber News was nominated for Thread Of The Year, I'm very proud

It seems to have come joint first with the US Election thread.

BEVS Dec 31st 2016 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12139872)
I've only just seen that Cucumber News was nominated for Thread Of The Year, I'm very proud

It seems to have come joint first with the US Election thread.

:eek: Has it? I'm off to have a look.

That's the New Zealand forum. Punching above its weight in pineapple lumps.

Well done Barnsleymat. :starsmile:

Bo-Jangles Jan 9th 2017 8:31 am

Great news on the award. :lol:

Just checking in with latest prices from the NZCPI (NZ Cucumberlicious Price Index).

Pak n Save have cucumbers on an amazing special today
Spoiler:
2 for $3
. :confused:

Despite the rumours that Summer has arrived in some parts of the country, sadly the magnitude of the Cucumber Price remains static. There's little respite for many New Zealander who were heading back to work today and many feeling the disappointment at lack of salad over their summer sojourn and it appears that retailers are lacking any intensity in competition and still no cucumber bargains available here in good old NZ today.

barnsleymat Jan 17th 2017 5:35 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Could we be about to start paying £3.50 for cucumbers in the UK?

European vegetables: 'Perfect storm' raises prices - BBC News

I made myself a Kiwi millionaire meal yesterday, I think this is what you get when you fly Air New Zealand Business Class. I hope the picture uploads.

Kotare Jan 17th 2017 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12154186)

I made myself a Kiwi millionaire meal yesterday, I think this is what you get when you fly Air New Zealand Business Class. I hope the picture uploads.

Rumour has it NZ migrant upturn expected due to forecast cost of food in UK - especially vegetarians :-)

BEVS Jan 17th 2017 7:19 pm

I hope the picture uploads.

and it certainly did :lol:

scrubbedexpat094 Jan 17th 2017 9:14 pm

:rofl:

I failed to upload a couple of photos taken in Countdown on Monday. I was appalled to see that cucumbers and peppers were now on sale for $2.49 each or $4.50 for two.

I thought it was Summer but apparently not.

Mind you, at least you can buy them. Try finding an apple (other than a Granny Smith) in the shops :eek:. There's an apple shortage in NZ I heard on the news last night, all caused by the weather. Wondered why I couldn't buy any in the shops.

Pom_Chch Jan 18th 2017 2:57 am

Looks a bit small...

:scarper:

wez130 Jan 19th 2017 6:45 am

$2.49 i paid for one in Countdown the other day, new potatoes are expensive here too!

On the flip though, Sirloin steak at $13.99 a kilo is mega cheap compared to UK!

To be fair, i've found what i expected to find here, i always go for what's on offer at home, and i've done the same here and got some good deals, some things are dearer here (cucumbers lol), but others are cheaper (sirloin, toliet rolls). Swings and roundabouts.

Bo-Jangles Jan 19th 2017 8:03 am

The Cucumber remains sought after due to strong seasonal demand for salad and lack of desire to cook meat and two veg over the holiday period. It seems that despite there being no obvious shortage of cucumbers the product continues to be traded at a premium. The price at Pak n Save remains stable at 2 for $3 or $1.99 each.

The Avocado however does seem to have taken a tumble and recorded a relatively large fall in price, currently as low as 5 for $5

BEVS Jan 20th 2017 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12155709)
The Cucumber remains sought after due to strong seasonal demand for salad and lack of desire to cook meat and two veg over the holiday period. It seems that despite there being no obvious shortage of cucumbers the product continues to be traded at a premium. The price at Pak n Save remains stable at 2 for $3 or $1.99 each.

Which is sad news as my "worth its weight in gold" cucumber vine has karked it over the past few days due to the weather :cry_smile:

Kotare Jan 23rd 2017 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12156445)
Which is sad news as my "worth its weight in gold" cucumber vine has karked it over the past few days due to the weather :cry_smile:

If you use the expression 'kark it' perhaps you have become a kiwi.

BEVS Jan 24th 2017 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12159682)
If you use the expression 'kark it' perhaps you have become a kiwi.

Over my dead body mate.

I know how to drive properly . Coffee stinks. My British sense of humour remains intact. I will not countenance frills & crooked hems & I do not believe the All Blacks are living gods.

Karked it / Carked it.
British saying from the Raj period.

Kotare Jan 24th 2017 5:16 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12159791)
Over my dead body mate.

I know how to drive properly ..... My British sense of humour remains intact. .....

Second opinion please.

Kotare Feb 3rd 2017 6:46 am

Vegetable rationing in UK Supermarkets - shock, horror. Courgettes, lettuce and broccoli in very short supply. Rioting by by UK vegetarians (OK I made the last bit up). :-)

Is this being censored by Barnsleymat?

Grayling Feb 3rd 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12169699)
Vegetable rationing in UK Supermarkets - shock, horror. Courgettes, lettuce and broccoli in very short supply. Rioting by by UK vegetarians (OK I made the last bit up). :-)

Is this being censored by Barnsleymat?

Why do you have to exaggerate?

There are a few vegetables in short supply due to bad weather in Murcia......most are for sale as usual.

Does that never happen in NZ?....are no foodstuffs imported?

Don't you think your constant attempts at point scoring are a little childish and pathetic?

Kotare Feb 3rd 2017 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 12169728)
Why do you have to exaggerate?

There are a few vegetables in short supply due to bad weather in Murcia......most are for sale as usual.

Does that never happen in NZ?....are no foodstuffs imported?

Don't you think your constant attempts at point scoring are a little childish and pathetic?

I merely repeat the UK headlines, blame the UK tabloids :-) Isn't it even funnier that a humorous thread suddenly becomes childish and pathetic when it doesn't reflect your narrow opinions.

Actually apples are nowhere to be found in NZ at the moment, not because of limited imports apparently but because the crop was exported overseas.

Kotare Feb 3rd 2017 2:53 pm

Mustn't just blame the tabloids (or me) even the BBC is reporting 'Vegetable rationing by Supermarkets'. Price of an iceberg lettuce in Lidl £1.19 (up 200%).

Must be hell living in a country that is totally dependant on food imports (that is point scoring if you hadn't noticed Grayling) :-).

barnsleymat Feb 3rd 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12169995)
Mustn't just blame the tabloids (or me) even the BBC is reporting 'Vegetable rationing by Supermarkets'. Price of an iceberg lettuce in Lidl £1.19 (up 200%).

Must be hell living in a country that is totally dependant on food imports (that is point scoring if you hadn't noticed Grayling) :-).

Still cheaper than Countdown!!!!!!

Robbie2010 Feb 4th 2017 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12169995)

Would that be any worse than living in a country that imports everything else?

P.S.
Iceberg lettuce is 60p at asda .... $2.49 at countdown.

Kotare Feb 4th 2017 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12170539)
Would that be any worse than living in a country that imports everything else?

P.S.
Iceberg lettuce is 60p at asda .... $2.49 at countdown.

Try eating your Honda :-)

Robbie2010 Feb 4th 2017 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12170545)
Try eating your Honda :-)

I'd sooner have some Welsh lamb, Cumberland sausage or a Dickens & Morris pork pie thanks.

By the way the UK isnt "toatally" dependant on imports ... only about half is imported.