British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   csa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/csa-531113/)

jjthefridge Apr 21st 2008 8:38 pm

csa

Hi,

Does anyone know if you still have to pay csa once you leave the uk.

j.j.

jomac1290 Apr 21st 2008 9:02 pm

Re: csa

No you do not. It is only here in Uk.

squiddley Apr 21st 2008 9:09 pm

What about,if you are already receiving money from the CSA,will you continue to get once you leave the UK......

jomac1290 Apr 21st 2008 9:13 pm

not sure about that one i presume yes but you better ring and check???:confused:

hollie00 Apr 21st 2008 9:25 pm

My partner pats maintanance and will continue from NZ. Will he pay tax on it from there or does anyone know the best way to pay it ...Were thinking of the exchange rate etc ...?

BEVS Apr 21st 2008 10:43 pm

CSA = Child Support Agency.

Looking at the site , it would appear that there is provision using REMO -
Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders

There is a reciprocal agreement with New Zealand.

From the CSA site

If the non-resident parent lives abroad and does not fall into one of the categories above then the parent with care can apply to the UK courts for child maintenance.

If the parent with care needs help in collecting the money awarded under the court order for maintenance they can contact the Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders section at the Official Solicitor & Public Trustee.

Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders - or REMO - is the process by which maintenance orders made by UK courts on behalf of UK residents can be registered and enforced by the courts or other authorities in other countries.

This is a reciprocal arrangement which means that foreign maintenance orders in favour of individuals abroad can be registered and enforced by UK courts against UK residents.

You can get more information about the rules for applications for child maintenance when one or more parents live outside the UK from our National Helpline on 0151 243 1901.
(If you are calling from abroad: +44 151 243 1901.)

From REMO

Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders - or REMO - is the process by which maintenance orders made by UK courts, on behalf of UK residents, can be registered and enforced by courts or other authorities in other countries against people resident there.

This is a reciprocal arrangement governed by international conventions, which means that foreign maintenance orders in favour of individuals abroad can likewise be registered and enforced by UK courts against UK residents.
If resident in New Zealand it seems that NZ Inland Revenue administers child support payments. Once arrived in NZ it may be that one has to 'register' the maintenance agreement with NZ IR & then using the reciprocal agreement with the UK, the IR will put the wheels into motion to enforce the agreement/judgement. The form seems to be IR 102.. A copy of the original judgement would be needed.

PLUS

Also per NZ statute of the NZ Family Proceedings Act

Registration of orders made in Commonwealth or designated countries
Where—
(a)A maintenance order has been made against any person by any Court in a Commonwealth or designated country; or

(b)A maintenance order made provisionally only against any person by any such Court has been confirmed in a Commonwealth or designated country—

the order may be registered in New Zealand by filing a certified copy in the office of a District Court in New Zealand in the prescribed manner.

Either way , it would seem that with some effort a parent whether UK or NZ resident can have a child support payment enforced.

Certainly any parent receiving maintenance payments on behalf of a child should contact the any and all of the above to make sure the judgement or voluntary payments are properly registered IMO.

krissie Apr 22nd 2008 5:00 am

Ive tried and tried and tried...........and been told every time that NZ do not enforce or collect any maintenance payments from the uk!! They are not valid when you leave the country, but if the absent parent left the country, the uk could enforce the order... my ex's last words were thank god youre all going and i wont have to pay you!! (nice bloke!!!)
if anyone has got round this tho' please let me know!!!! im sure he'd be happy to hear from me asking for his maintenance!!:rofl:

shaozzy Apr 22nd 2008 6:47 am

Hi, I'm still getting back pay and they send it to my Dad's address , who then puts it into my Nationwide account, I can then use it over here via my visa card.
Sharon

krissie Apr 22nd 2008 11:38 am

yeh they did that but only collected back pay up to and including the week we left the uk......:curse: