Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Crushing the Boy/Girl Racer's Cars

Crushing the Boy/Girl Racer's Cars

Old May 27th 2009, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crushing the Boy/Girl Racer's Cars

I am all for it personally, it's about time somebody took a stand on this issue. for some unknown reason the numpty neds think they have a god given right to street race

They then start bleating on now that the govt has took a stand on it and told them they "might" have the cars crushed..... but now the ned's have come back with "well you can't because we don't own the cars, the finance company does so to crush them would in it's self illegal"
Sorry to have to point the obvious out to them but if the finance company gets notification that the car owner has committed offences that may lead to a car being crushed they are likely to repossess the car to ensure their asset does not get crushed.

A couple of the muppets have even said that they should have a specially built track to race on ..... my arse!!!:curse: if they want a track all chip in, buy a plot of land, apply for planning permission and build one their selves
Old May 27th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crushing the Boy/Girl Racer's Cars

Originally Posted by alanmacc
I am all for it personally, it's about time somebody took a stand on this issue. for some unknown reason the numpty neds think they have a god given right to street race

They then start bleating on now that the govt has took a stand on it and told them they "might" have the cars crushed..... but now the ned's have come back with "well you can't because we don't own the cars, the finance company does so to crush them would in it's self illegal"
Sorry to have to point the obvious out to them but if the finance company gets notification that the car owner has committed offences that may lead to a car being crushed they are likely to repossess the car to ensure their asset does not get crushed.

A couple of the muppets have even said that they should have a specially built track to race on ..... my arse!!!:curse: if they want a track all chip in, buy a plot of land, apply for planning permission and build one their selves
My understanding is that the car on finance is legally owned by the driver..the person who took out the finance..the finance house simply has 'leon' over it and thus they can repossess it like the mortgage co. can take your house away (you still own it) if you don't keep up the payments. I too am in agreement that the crushing is a good thing..it will send shock waves thru' their ranks I think they will calm down once a few have been 'done'. If you sell them on they will end up getting them back. The crushing is a very, very strong psychological detterent..way more so than it being sold at auction to another tosser. As an aside whilst we need to get tough on all this shite..the child abusers are waaay more important but alas no one is jumping up and down at that,what a shame.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:29 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Crushing the Boy/Girl Racer's Cars

This is an easy fix really isn't it? Just make it only legal to drive unmodified sub 1 litre (70hp) cars until the age of 25. I wish they'd make third party a requirement as well, in part that would help get rid of a lot of them as almost any sane insurance company is going to rape you for being young and having anything vaguely fast.

Said as a young car fanatic myself of course .
Old May 27th 2009, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside whilst we need to get tough on all this shite..the child abusers are waaay more important but alas no one is jumping up and down at that,what a shame.

I do agree totally with you, the whole paedophile thing should be way higher up the list than the local neds who street race, although there is legislation and prison terms for these scum it is not long enough IMO, I would go for either chemical or full castration of them if the offence is sexually orientated or if it is just purely violence then some serious jail time should be applied.
Every country, apart from the Middle East, is way too lenient on these types of crimes and some tough measures need to be taen to deal with it.
I watched the Louis Theroux programme the other night ……… man it was frightening, you had the people in there almost complaining about the fact they are almost held with no limit of time …… awwww boo hooo, tough shit, keep them all in one place and throw away the key.

I know for a fact if anybody had to come near my family in that manner they would not see jail time, I know I would ensure they never saw a court to be tried in, yes its vigilante but I know I could not let them get some wee piddly slap on the wrist…………..

Sorry rant over
Old May 27th 2009, 4:29 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
The crushing is a very, very strong psychological detterent..way more so than it being sold at auction to another tosser.
I'm not so sure - I think these idiots will think of it as a badge of honour, preferable to just paying the monetary penalty. I guess judges will still have some discretion.
Old May 27th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
I'm not so sure - I think these idiots will think of it as a badge of honour, preferable to just paying the monetary penalty. I guess judges will still have some discretion.
Bloody expensive $10-15k badge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 27th 2009, 5:06 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody expensive $10-15k badge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You could fine them the same amount no problems.
Old May 27th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by southerner
You could fine them the same amount no problems.
They don't pay the fines..take the car and crush it...good lesson well learned. 3 times in 3 years? I'd make it 2 times every 12 months and its the person that gets the demerits..not the car..otherwise as someone pointed out they would sell the car as soon as they got the first demerit. And if they are driving Dads 2009 BMW 7 series on the 2nd occasion? Tough. Stupid daddy for entrusting his $200k car to a turnip.

And re all the twats that don't pay their HUGE motoring fines..easy. Either take it out of their dole each week or out of their PAYE. Sorted. Why doesn't anyone in charge have any balls???? Too many sodding lefty/liberal do gooders...we need some whip crackers. GET TOUGH ON CRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 27th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Aha, I spy my favourite topic!

Jeez I hate the Boy Racer losers in NZ as much as anyone else, but I dunno whether this legislation goes far enough.

I doubt many cars will actually get crushed, and I doubt that it will be much of a deterrent.

What is needed is a mixture of legislation that is easily enforceable

That would include:
- compulsory third party insurance
- much tougher noise and emissions and modification standards
- stronger penalties for driving without licences,insurance, warrants and for other driving offences
- stronger penalties for street racing
- jail for those who dont pay fines
- much more police monitoring and enforcement of the above

As far as deterrent and justice goes, NZ is a toothless dog.

Child abuse is totally unrelated to this issue. Lots of crimes need to be clamped down on, you cant just focus one one issue.

For the benefit of public at large, we need a cheap and effective justice system - we cant give each accused Boy Racer a "David Bain" style trial.

Drunk driving is also a big issue and there is legislation there to stop it , but is the law effective - no, cos everyone knows their chances of being stopped are bugger all.
Old May 27th 2009, 11:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Browner_
Aha, I spy my favourite topic!
Aha! What kept you?

I've said this before but I'll say it again. Impound and crush the vehicles. Make road insurance compulsary.

Fines do bugger all.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Browner_;7608069]Aha, I spy my favourite topic!

What is needed is a mixture of legislation that is easily enforceable

That would include:
- compulsory third party insurance

[QUOTE]

Thats the only thing they need to do and that would stop it stone dead..
Old May 27th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc

Another suggestion for dealing with the boy/girl racers...Take a no nonsense approach. If car insurance policies are the same as UK ones.....one of the clauses in car insurance, is that it is not to be used for any racing purposes.

Get done for racing....it will automatically null and void your car insurance...with the added bonus you will lose your driving licence for a min of 6 months for driving without insurance. If you lose you licence within a certain period of having passed your test, you are required to also have a retest before you can drive again...then crush the offending vehicle. That should slow a few of the smart arses down
Old May 27th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
Another suggestion for dealing with the boy/girl racers...Take a no nonsense approach. If car insurance policies are the same as UK ones.....one of the clauses in car insurance, is that it is not to be used for any racing purposes.

Get done for racing....it will automatically null and void your car insurance...with the added bonus you will lose your driving licence for a min of 6 months for driving without insurance. If you lose you licence within a certain period of having passed your test, you are required to also have a retest before you can drive again...then crush the offending vehicle. That should slow a few of the smart arses down
OH has just informed me that car insurance is not obligatory in NZ...........really?

Apologises to Browner and Bevs who have already said this

Last edited by Numptyhead; May 27th 2009 at 6:15 pm. Reason: correction
Old May 27th 2009, 9:11 pm
Here in Dunedin

Making insurance mandatory will have less impact than it would in the Uk (I'm not saying its a bad idea though). Personal injury is covered by government administered ACC in NZ so insurance premiums for young drivers may be less than you might think. I've also never seen any data that suggests current young drivers are not already buying insurance, but I am happy to be corrceted on that.

Remember, the main issue people seem to have with boy racers is how unsociable they are, not that they are more likely to have an costly accident. The relativity of accidents caused by young drivers is probably the same in NZ as in the UK. You have to address the main issue - the noise, racing and 'up yours' culture that prevails.
Old May 27th 2009, 9:21 pm
Here in Dunedin

They don't pay the fines..take the car and crush it...good lesson well learned.
They will pay fines if you hold their car impounded until they do. I still believe its petty to say crush a perfectly good XR6 just to spite owner, it might make you feel good, but its a draconian solution in so many other ways. Like I say, I hope there is still discretion for judges to make common sense decisions.

Last edited by southerner; May 27th 2009 at 9:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.