Crumpet conundrum

Old Aug 21st 2018, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crumpet conundrum

Can anyone tell me why NZ crumpets dont toast properly.
Back home a crumpet would pop out of the toaster with a lovely golden toasted top
Here in NZ they stay pale and pasty white right up until the second they then shrivel up and burn on the bottom
I've tried different brands and different toasters, but they are all the same. Why, whats going on ??
Old Aug 21st 2018, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crumpet conundrum

Funny that, I noticed the same earlier this evening I was watching 'Eat well for Less' on TV and they had perfectly toasted crumpets all nice and golden on top. I agree the ones we have here are all white and flaccid unless you toast the hell out of them. I like the square ones and usually do them under the grill so that I can toast the top more.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 8:19 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I know its a concern, just doesn't seem right. remedy seems to be what Bo suggests and toast them under the grill
Old Aug 21st 2018, 8:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When they are toasted top with Cheshire or Cheddar cheese and pop them back under the grill.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 9:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
Can anyone tell me why NZ crumpets dont toast properly.
Back home a crumpet would pop out of the toaster with a lovely golden toasted top
Here in NZ they stay pale and pasty white right up until the second they then shrivel up and burn on the bottom
So true.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

they did crumpets on Eat well for less tonight and it does seem that the crumpets where slightly browned on top from the packet. or was that just wishful thinking?
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
they did crumpets on Eat well for less tonight and it does seem that the crumpets where slightly browned on top from the packet. or was that just wishful thinking?
I watched that yesterday; the winner was https://www.warburtons.co.uk/product...nal/6-crumpets and they certainly do appear much browner from the packet.

Dare I say it some of the UK prices were truly laughable
Spoiler:
only 6 pence per crumpet in some cases

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Aug 22nd 2018 at 10:01 am.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:10 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

The nicest crumpets I've found that have no extra additives in are 'Button Family Crumpets' available at Countdown. I'm get odd reactions to processed food due to additives, but I'm fine with these.