Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

crumbling pound+expanding dollar= return to work.

crumbling pound+expanding dollar= return to work.

Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default crumbling pound+expanding dollar= return to work.

Hi all,
thought we'd be quids in on our move to NZ- Both good works pensions + state + annuities+ ISAs+ savings+ investments+ equity from two properties- no mortgage.
WRONG- just checked one lot of 'investments' in last 10 months lost over £10000!
Not really concerned re shares etc. they are a gamble(don't gamble if you're afraid to lose) I am concerned about the fluctuation in exchange rate. Am aware about forward trades in currency (fixed rate) not much use at mo!
Pension transfers are pre arranged through providers and NZ and then converted at 'best rate' within 7 day window!
My brain is crumbling along with the pound- as much of our calculations re- land purchase and cost of build have been worked out on a much better rate of exchange. Do not want to sink all our funds into this move- ie savings to remain untouched. Neither do I want to downsize or re-design property.
OK that's the position.
Now the question.
Would it be possible for me (being a pensioner) to obtain a part-time position in schools/colleges in NZ, whilst I'm in receipt of a pension from UK?
jennie

Last edited by jennifer45; Jan 10th 2008 at 4:41 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: crumbling pound+expanding dollar= return to work.

Doesn't affect you i guess as you've no plans for a mortgage but the interest rates on some mortgage products have risen again today........

NZ Herald story
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Doesn't affect you i guess as you've no plans for a mortgage but the interest rates on some mortgage products have risen again today........

NZ Herald story
Two banks over here have put them up as well, reserve bank will increase the base rate next month anyway!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Go for it!!

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Would it be possible for me (being a pensioner) to obtain a part-time position in schools/colleges in NZ, whilst I'm in receipt of a pension from UK?
jennie
Hey jennie

I see no reason why you should not be able to get a part-time job subject to all the appropriate visas or work permits being satisfied.

Go for it and good luck!

NG
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go for it!!

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Hey jennie

I see no reason why you should not be able to get a part-time job subject to all the appropriate visas or work permits being satisfied.

Go for it and good luck!

NG
Thanks NG.
Bit of encouragement goes a long way.
Tend to lose a bit of self confidence re- reentering the 'work arena' when you've been away awhile.
Don't lack confidence in my ability to do the job and do it well (having kept abreast of all the latest trends and developments in my area)- just trying to be accepted by the dynamic, younger, indigenous workforce scares the **** out of me!
But I must admit I love the thought of working with inquisitive minds again.
and also learning from them!
Needless to say OH thinks its a no-go and could jeopardize my pension.
Jennie.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:14 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw a lot of people of retirement age working in NZ - places like Bunnings, Mitre 10 etc. where their experience and people skills are quite valued. Not sure about schools and colleges though, you may be able to pick up something as a reliever.