Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Crisis of confidence!

Crisis of confidence!

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Unhappy Crisis of confidence!

Hi Folks,
Today I've put the finishing touches to our ITA and tomorrow it will wing it's way to NZIS in London. The nearer to completion I've got, the more I have this sense of doom, a feeling that maybe it's not going to happen for us. I keep counting our points in my head but I just can't convince myself I'm right and that we really are entitled to our 100+ points. I'm probably being totally irrational, maybe this is what the long process does. Has anyone else felt like this?
Mark (I should be happy, but I'm not!)
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:06 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crisis of confidence!

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi Folks,
Today I've put the finishing touches to our ITA and tomorrow it will wing it's way to NZIS in London. The nearer to completion I've got, the more I have this sense of doom, a feeling that maybe it's not going to happen for us. I keep counting our points in my head but I just can't convince myself I'm right and that we really are entitled to our 100+ points. I'm probably being totally irrational, maybe this is what the long process does. Has anyone else felt like this?
First of all, congratulations Mark on getting it all put together and ready to go!

Now, deep breaths Mark and repeat after me...

"Everything will be ok and I'm 100% certain that we are entitled to our 100+ points and we will be granted our visas without a hitch and will be winging our way to NZ asap..."

You've got 'visa jitters' mate that's all...I bet I'm going to be feeling exactly the same in about a fortnight's time!!!

Now, go and open a nice bottle of red, put your feet up and relax..the hard work is done .....
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
First of all, congratulations Mark on getting it all put together and ready to go!

Now, deep breaths Mark and repeat after me...

"Everything will be ok and I'm 100% certain that we are entitled to our 100+ points and we will be granted our visas without a hitch and will be winging our way to NZ asap..."

You've got 'visa jitters' mate that's all...I bet I'm going to be feeling exactly the same in about a fortnight's time!!!

Now, go and open a nice bottle of red, put your feet up and relax..the hard work is done .....
Hi Caroline,
Thinks it's the emotional effort that goes into it, I feel like I'm close to a nervous breakdown! I'll go and open a bottle of red then if you think it will help. I've already had a bottle of white though!!!
By the way, I spoke to the people who did our medicals this morning and they told me NOT to open the package they sent us!
Mark
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:25 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Caroline,
Thinks it's the emotional effort that goes into it, I feel like I'm close to a nervous breakdown! I'll go and open a bottle of red then if you think it will help. I've already had a bottle of white though!!!
By the way, I spoke to the people who did our medicals this morning and they told me NOT to open the package they sent us!
Mark
Nowt like mixing your drinks Mark!! You are so gonna have a bad head in the morning!!

And you're right you know - there is a huge amount of emotional effort involved in putting your life into an envelope - I find it draining sometimes but I know that we will all look back in a few weeks time when we have our blue stickers and wonder what on earth all the fuss was about!!!

Oh, crapadoodledoo -so you don't think we should peek at the medicals then???

p.s. Did you notice I'd accidentally moderated you last night!!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, we all felt like that at some stage. We had sold our house and were living at my Mums BEFORE we got our visa. I remember Rob and I lying in bed worrying ourselves sick, thinking we might not get visas. We even went as far as to think about a plan B.

Our Motto "Short term pain - long term gain."

Good luck
Gill
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Nowt like mixing your drinks Mark!! You are so gonna have a bad head in the morning!!

And you're right you know - there is a huge amount of emotional effort involved in putting your life into an envelope - I find it draining sometimes but I know that we will all look back in a few weeks time when we have our blue stickers and wonder what on earth all the fuss was about!!!

Oh, crapadoodledoo -so you don't think we should peek at the medicals then???

p.s. Did you notice I'd accidentally moderated you last night!!
Oh no, it's my turn to get up with the kids too!
It's all the qustions you get from friends and family. Like the visas are just there for the taking. I even find myself talking like it's a forgone conclusion and then afterwards I just have doubts.
You didn't peek did you?!
Did you really moderate me? I'll go and see, I'm honoured!!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Don't worry, we all felt like that at some stage. We had sold our house and were living at my Mums BEFORE we got our visa. I remember Rob and I lying in bed worrying ourselves sick, thinking we might not get visas. We even went as far as to think about a plan B.

Our Motto "Short term pain - long term gain."

Good luck
Gill
Thanks Gill,
Just knowing I'm not the only one makes me feel better. This forum really is great sometimes. There always seems to be support when it's needed, thanks. I must have had a drink to many tonight, I'm getting emotional!
Plan B, crikey didn't even think of that yet!!!
Mark
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:52 pm
Don't let me get me....

Oh no, it's my turn to get up with the kids too!
It's all the qustions you get from friends and family. Like the visas are just there for the taking. I even find myself talking like it's a forgone conclusion and then afterwards I just have doubts.
You didn't peek did you?!
Did you really moderate me? I'll go and see, I'm honoured!!
You take turns to get up with the kids?? Don't tell my OH that will you coz it's ALWAYS his turn on a weekend!! lol...

And that is precisely why we haven't told anyone other than 2 very good friends who know not to ask too many questions coz it can drive you crackers...

I'm sure it is a fairly safe bet that everything will work out ok for you Mark - I might even send you a huge dollop of mod karma to brighten your day!!!

Yes, I did moderate you but accidentally!! Have a look at the Waiting for Medicals thread...
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 8:16 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Hi Folks,
Mark - you wouldn't be human if you didn't worry, and this is too big a thing to not worry about. I've told so many people who've asked how it's going that's it's like a rollercoaster, one minute you're right at the top, then that sickening feeling and you're hitting the ground at 100 mph, then a slow crawl back up to the excitement. There's no happy medium with it is there and we all have been feeling it so you shouldn't think you're being irrational.

You're in the right place though, I think we should all form a circle and stand up one by one and say 'My name's (insert name) and I'm an ITA junkie'. We could have meets in church basements across the country.

Karma to you to help you cope! And a virtual beer as well - cheers to you and your new life in NZ
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say the jitters don't get any better as you go along the process - not overly reassuring I know but better forewarned.

when we sent our ITA off we thought we'd have months to get used to the idea of going before we got a reply - but it all came back in a shot - we were working on the 6 month timescale so didn't think we'd get an answer till Oct - we got our approval in principal in May!!

so here we are now, house sold, blue stickers in, shippers booked, tickets bought and I still get days where I think what am I doing - and what do I do - come here and feel so much better about it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!