Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Crime Still Happens In NZ

Crime Still Happens In NZ

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:46 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crime Still Happens In NZ

It ain't Utopia you know
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:53 am
livewire

Default Re: Crime Still Happens In NZ

That reminded me about a news article I saw whilst in Oz a few weeks ago.

On NZ TV there is this show about how to make your home more secure from thieves. Basically they film one of these 2 ex cons breaking into your house and show it to the shocked owner. They then get security devices installed in the house and they try to break in again, problem sorted.

Anyways, one of the "reformed" ex cons was recently up in court for shop lifting. Glad they didn't choose my house to film!

There was also a news item about this poor aircraft engineer who'd gone over to the states to work and the agency who employed him messed up his work visa. He was imprisioned and, from his account, received no help from the NZ government to get him out. (his work collegues from another country of course received assistance from their consulate).

When he finally was released he flew back into Auckland where his mum was meeting him from the plane. When he landed the police led him away and he never realised she was waiting for him. The Lions tour was on at the time and he couldn't find a hotel room for the night so he hired a car and decided to sleep in it and make the long drive home the next morning. Unfortunately he was dragged from the car during the night and beaten up. Bet he was glad to be home.

I would say that if you are coming here believing that the rate of crime is low then you are probably mistaken. Yes, of course there are going to be areas where you are going to be able to leave your front door open all day and not worry. But there are areas where your teenage daughter could walk into a burger restaurant and be sexually assaulted and mugged in the WC.

The two biggest causes of crime - poverty and drugs are very prevalent in some areas.

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:01 am
Just Joined

dustinthewind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky

It ain't Utopia you know
No it aint Utopia my little china plate, I do believe its NZ & so like many other countries in this wonderful world as far as crime goes.

Anyone who came here thinking it was Utopia certainly didnt do their homework before they came did they It appears to me the grass isnt always greener on the other side huh?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livewire

On NZ TV there is this show about how to make your home more secure from thieves. Basically they film one of these 2 ex cons breaking into your house and show it to the shocked owner. They then get security devices installed in the house and they try to break in again, problem sorted.

Anyways, one of the "reformed" ex cons was recently up in court for shop lifting. Glad they didn't choose my house to film!

There was also a news item about this poor aircraft engineer who'd gone over to the states to work and the agency who employed him messed up his work visa. He was imprisioned and, from his account, received no help from the NZ government to get him out. (his work collegues from another country of course received assistance from their consulate).

When he finally was released he flew back into Auckland where his mum was meeting him from the plane. When he landed the police led him away and he never realised she was waiting for him. The Lions tour was on at the time and he couldn't find a hotel room for the night so he hired a car and decided to sleep in it and make the long drive home the next morning. Unfortunately he was dragged from the car during the night and beaten up. Bet he was glad to be home.

I would say that if you are coming here believing that the rate of crime is low then you are probably mistaken. Yes, of course there are going to be areas where you are going to be able to leave your front door open all day and not worry. But there are areas where your teenage daughter could walk into a burger restaurant and be sexually assaulted and mugged in the WC.

The two biggest causes of crime - poverty and drugs are very prevalent in some areas.
In fact they are now advertising for donations on NZ Television to provide for children of Auckland......they said that 1 in 3 children in Auckland area alone live below the poverty line.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rascal
In fact they are now advertising for donations on NZ Television to provide for children of Auckland......they said that 1 in 3 children in Auckland area alone live below the poverty line.
I can absolutely believe that. I must admit I have never seen so many children in a 'western world' country that look like they have not had a bath or a meal in weeks - a common sight here in Rotorua in some parts of town - some areas of AKL are very bad, and children here have hardly any laws to protect them. Its the one thing we notice that i hugely different to the UK. There is very little support for children, and lots of children who in the UK would be on the 'at risk' register simply slip through the system here. Very worrying - I really hope its something the gorvernment will tackle head on. I could tell you some tales from friends working here in ED etc and it makes me cry how some children are living and nothing is done as no sufficient laws to protect them.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
I can absolutely believe that. I must admit I have never seen so many children in a 'western world' country that look like they have not had a bath or a meal in weeks - a common sight here in Rotorua in some parts of town - some areas of AKL are very bad, and children here have hardly any laws to protect them. Its the one thing we notice that i hugely different to the UK. There is very little support for children, and lots of children who in the UK would be on the 'at risk' register simply slip through the system here. Very worrying - I really hope its something the gorvernment will tackle head on. I could tell you some tales from friends working here in ED etc and it makes me cry how some children are living and nothing is done as no sufficient laws to protect them.
Yes I know what you mean, I have seen kids living in squalid conditions here and I was surprised at that because its not the image that you first have when you are 12k miles away and think of NZ is it?
So it comes as a real eye opener when you see very rough areas and really, really poor kids in conditions you wouldn't expect your dog to live in........

NZ has certainly opened my eyes and made me realise the very things I took for granted in the Uk, I should have appreciated a whole lot more.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 9:10 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just the rough areas where children suffer either I've come across it in all three of the areas we have lived here. One boy used to get severly beaten by his father and nothing was done.

See a boy every day at my sons present school and he is dressed in rags it is so sad to see
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 9:15 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky

It ain't Utopia you know
Isn't that a really nice paint job?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

Originally Posted by livewire

My son went to the our local Shell garage here in Tauranga last night but it was closing as it had just been robbed by someone wearing a mask and carrying a sawn off shot gun!!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 9:30 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ex geordie
My son went to the our local Shell garage here in Tauranga last night but it was closing as it had just been robbed by someone wearing a mask and carrying a sawn off shot gun!!!!
Whole world's bonkers now eh?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Whole world's bonkers now eh?

We don't get any crime here in the UK except for punching burglars, parking violations, speed camera offences and bus lane encroachments. All other misdemeanors have been decriminalised. It is no longer a crime to attack and mug people or commit aggrevated burglary it is just a result of social maladjustment and can be treated by the application of benefits and social housing (sometimes with an adventure holiday thrown in). Why would anybody want to leave this totally crime free, excellent and best of all possible worlds

Local Art

Fortress NHS

Last edited by Sega Mad; Aug 3rd 2005 at 11:59 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
We don't get any crime here in the UK except for punching burglars, parking violations, speed camera offences and bus lane encroachments. All other misdemeanors have been decriminalised. It is no longer a crime to attack and mug people or commit aggrevated burglary it is just a result of social maladjustment and can be treated by the application of benefits and social housing (sometimes with an adventure holiday thrown in). Why would anybody want to leave this totally crime free, excellent and best of all possible worlds

Local Art

Fortress NHS

I thought that was south Auckland at first.....trouble is, it stretches a long way down the Motorway all along peoples fences and houses...miles an miles of it! Gotta see it to believe it....dont think moving here all that will be gone....it aint!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 8:00 am
Member of Mumo-land

Originally Posted by Rascal
I thought that was south Auckland at first.....trouble is, it stretches a long way down the Motorway all along peoples fences and houses...miles an miles of it! Gotta see it to believe it....dont think moving here all that will be gone....it aint!

Yeah it does look like parts of Auck (ward) land, I agree. Hate the place. Might as waell live in London
Old Aug 7th 2005, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Local Art

Fortress NHS
Porirua gets tough on vandals

Feb 12, 2005

Schools in Porirua, north of Wellington, have got tough on vandalism - by refusing unauthorised people access to their grounds between the hours of darkness.

Last year about $200,000 worth of damage was caused at five schools in the area, prompting community groups to put up trespass notices and install security cameras.

The police say anyone without permission has also been banned from the school grounds at night.

Porirua City Council says the initiative has been a great success with schools reporting a fraction of the amount of damage normally suffered over the summer break.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 9:36 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Local Art

Fortress NHS
Hi Ali!

You forgot to mention the 'crimes' of having a brake light out on your car (still don't understand how you are supposed to check your lights when you are driving along ) and littering . You don't get a holiday for speeding and such like as you 'know' that it's wrong. However, beating someone up or the other decriminalised activities earn you attention, help and if you need it that 'holiday' to get away and reflect on it (and we aren't talking about prison). Ok I'm sure that not everyone gets this treatment, but if one person gets it then surely it can't be right?

Anyway, we know New Zealand isn't crime free, and we all know that, but I would say that it appears to be a bit scaled down in NZ compared to UK?

Cheers,

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.