Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Crime rate. Quite a long post, be warned.

Crime rate. Quite a long post, be warned.

Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:32 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Crime rate. Quite a long post, be warned.

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
Yep, there was. I nearly stopped for him to see if he needed any help cos he was stood with his bonnet up looking confused as I drove past. I decided not to in the end, something about it just didn't feel right, and I guess it was probably one of the better decisions I ever made...

As for the whole crime thing, here it is:

According to the statistics NZ site (www.stats.govt.nz):

"The recorded offence rate rose steadily from 55 per 1,000 population in 1970 to an all-time peak of 132 per 1,000 population in 1992. This rise may be due to a real change in the volume of crime in New Zealand, to changes in recording practices, or to a combination of the two. The offence rate remained fairly steady between 1992 and 1996, before decreasing to 111 per 1,000 population in 2000. However, it remained higher than it was at any stage prior to 1984."

In the UK (according to www.statistics.gov.uk):

"The rate of notifiable offences per 1,000 population in England and Wales tripled between 1971 and 1992, when it reached 109. It then decreased steadily to 86 in 1998-99, as measured under the ‘old’ counting rules."

So, in conclusion:

1. There's crime everywhere, worldwide.
2. The figures are similar for NZ and the UK when population size is negated by using the per 1000 stats.
3. I don't know what the 'old' counting rules were in the UK one.
4. I don't know if these two sets of statistics are even apples and apples in terms of what they count and what they don't (I don't have time to look right now).
5. I suspect that they aren't and I suspect that the instances of violent and/or armed crime are much much higher in the UK.

However, perception is a whole different ballgame. As many people have already said, the perception here is that it's safer here for kids, etc etc. And they're right. I wouldn't think twice about walking down a darkened street or catching a nightbus here, we've (accidentally) left the door to the house wide open all day and come home to miraculously find that everything's still there. Same goes for the car and the garage... Security on most houses here is laughable, single-glazed windows, ranch sliders that can be lifted off the runners, etc etc.

I feel that it's safer here than it is in the UK but the stats say that it isn't. Maybe I live in a nice area but I know that when I go to the mountain to go boarding, we can leave all our stuff in the car while we ride and it's all still there when we come to go home again. I know that I don't feel threatened by gangs of youths or by people that I think are going to mug me.

Admittedly, walking down the road towards people that look a bit dodgy sometimes, I do feel my fists clenching and my eyes scanning for places to run if it came to that and moving my rucksack to the other shoulder or whatever but then I guess that's what comes from having lived in London for you. It usually takes me a second or two to realise that i'm being a dumbass and that this is NZ, not Beirut and I feel like a bit of a fool.
Whether you are at risk of Crime traditionally depends on what social class you are in........in other words the least well off are the most likely to be a victim of crime.

These facts can really skew any figures that are quoted. If there is a high concentration of poor people in an area then the crime figures will be very high as a % of Population.

I have read that the people most at risk of crime in NZ are children, this is due to the lack of Child / child Crime related laws that we take for granted in the UK....unusually also children in NZ are at most risk from their Blood Relatives i.e parents rather than stepfather/Mothers etc.........

NZ is quoted as having really bad child poverty figures ...even in Auckland.

Its being so cheerful wot keeps me goin
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Tech21]I the problem I always come back to is that there are NO POLICE ON THE STREETS to do anything about it!

Police on the streets? yes I saw one ...I have been here 4 years.(just rediscovered this site, I lost it!!!) and I saw my 1st policeman on the street patrolling a few weeks ago...he was on Queen Street in Auckland, which is a mainly tourist and student shopping area.

I grew up in a small village in East Anglia and I feel as safe here as I did there, as long as you make informed discussions on what to be aware of.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Police on the streets? yes I saw one ...I have been here 4 years.(just rediscovered this site, I lost it!!!) and I saw my 1st policeman on the street patrolling a few weeks ago...he was on Queen Street in Auckland, which is a mainly tourist and student shopping area.
We saw two police people on the beach at Piha at the weekend which was fairly random. Not really seen them patrolling anywhere else though (at least not on foot, the lazy bastards)
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:33 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
Yep, there was. I nearly stopped for him to see if he needed any help cos he was stood with his bonnet up looking confused as I drove past. I decided not to in the end, something about it just didn't feel right, and I guess it was probably one of the better decisions I ever made...

Shit..!! Its funny how instinct can take over huh! (Good job too half the time!)
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Pomki is an unknown quantity at this point

Crime rate in Omarama,,,

we had a spade go missing a couple of weeks ago.

But I think its just burried under the bark chippings...
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Carkedit
Shit..!! Its funny how instinct can take over huh! (Good job too half the time!)
Yep. Despite the fact that the overriding thought at the time in my head was that he looked confused, i'm not a mechanic and I was on my way to an interview, there was something definitely wrong about the whole situation.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

& tonights news on Xtra:
Drugs Swoop Nets 25 In Wellington
View larger imageWendy Cain / XtraMSN
20/10/2005NewstalkZBA massive drugs bust in the capital has resulted in 25 arrests, with police promising more to come.

More than 40 search warrants have been executed over the past four days, targeting people dealing in controlled drugs and stolen property.

Detective Senior Sergeant Darrin Thomson says at one address alone, police found more than $100,000 worth of stolen property which he believes had been traded for drugs.

He says the bust is about sending a clear message that police are taking a minimum tolerance approach to drug dealing.

The arrested people face a range of charges including aggravated robbery, possession of offensive weapons and drugs and fraud.