Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Credit, debit or good ole cash?

Credit, debit or good ole cash?

Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Dave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really nice
Smile Credit, debit or good ole cash?

We're coming over to Rotorua this August for 21 day recce.

What's the best (Cheapest) way of spending our hard earned pounds and avoiding exorbitant exchange and commission rates etc?

Main outlays include;

Hotel(1) in Auckland, one night.
Car hire Auc to Auc (ezy rentals)
One week house rental in Rotorua, They are demanding credit card payment in advance, cancel within one week of arrival= total loss of our$400, OH says its ok
Hotels (2), in Rotorua.
Hotel (1) Ngongotaha.
Hotel (1) Tauranga way, (I think I'd like to investigate houses in Papamoa)
Tourist trips and days out.

Should we exchange cash at UK or NZ airport, or should it be at banks UK/NZ?

We have Barclays and HSBC plastic to play with.

Any advice?
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:14 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Credit, debit or good ole cash?

Originally Posted by Dave n Ann

What's the best (Cheapest) way of spending our hard earned pounds and avoiding exorbitant exchange and commission rates etc?

Main outlays include;

One week house rental in Rotorua, They are demanding credit card payment in advance, cancel within one week of arrival= total loss of our$400, OH says its ok
Hotels (2), in Rotorua.
Hotel (1) Ngongotaha.

Any advice?

NEVER EXCHANGE AT AIRPORTS YOU GET WAY LESS FOR YOU HARD EARNED MONEY

We are with the HSBC and they never charged commission on stirling tt's.

Can expect to pay 2% commission when purchasing cash or tt's through most banks, building societies and travel agents. (so see if HSBC will charge you), but worth doing some leg work as they sometimes only charge 1% and post office occasionally offers at 0%.

TSB (NZ Bank) charge a flat rate of $5 for cashing tt's, but banks do not cash stirling tt's over the weekend even though they are open for business.

You get a lower rate of exchange of pounds sterling as opposed to sterling tt's, so it's not worth using british currency to change at banks etc.

Exchange rate is in your favour at the moment.

Hope this helps
Pauline

Last edited by howden40; Jul 5th 2008 at 11:54 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

We took some sterling with us and had no trouble changing it to dollars in banks etc but its the same as the UK you have to shop around. We went into 5 different places in Tauranga last year and rate differed between $2.55 to $2.63 with no charges. However we had put some money into our son in laws UK account before we went and he transferred it to his NZ account and got a very good exchange rate $2.80 which he drew out when we got there. This year in February if was between $2.35 & $2.40. We used our Credit Card of course for some things and when we got our statement when we got home the rate was different each day we used it.

www.tranzfers.com

June
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

I used my Barclays Connect card here and wasn't charged anything - just the exchange rate that was prevailing at the time.

Swipe it through the EFTPOS terminal as a normal debit card and choose CREDIT - then use a pin number or press OK to just sign (whichever you have).
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Dave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really nice

Originally Posted by howden40

NEVER EXCHANGE AT AIRPORTS YOU GET WAY LESS FOR YOU HARD EARNED MONEY

We are with the HSBC and they never charged commission on stirling tt's.

Can expect to pay 2% commission when purchasing cash or tt's through most banks, building societies and travel agents. (so see if HSBC will charge you), but worth doing some leg work as they sometimes only charge 1% and post office occasionally offers at 0%.

TSB (NZ Bank) charge a flat rate of $5 for cashing tt's, but banks do not cash stirling tt's over the weekend even though they are open for business.

You get a lower rate of exchange of pounds sterling as opposed to sterling tt's, so it's not worth using british currency to change at banks etc.

Exchange rate is in your favour at the moment.

Hope this helps
Pauline
Hi Pauline,
Thanks for the advice.... I'm a little dense sometimes and need things spelt out sometimes...here goes.
HSBC sounds good,what are tt's?
Post offices you refered to,would that be NZ or UK?

Your house..Did you go for solar in the end?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dlmckay
I used my Barclays Connect card here and wasn't charged anything - just the exchange rate that was prevailing at the time.

Swipe it through the EFTPOS terminal as a normal debit card and choose CREDIT - then use a pin number or press OK to just sign (whichever you have).
Hi Dimckay,
Ahhh yes, EFTPOS terminal's, the wife normally pushes me aside and does it.
I don't know if she is aware of the CREDIT option though, I better let her know, she'll probable feign surprise......(I think I should go and check our statements).
Thanks,
Dave.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

get a nationwide flexaccount they dont charge and you get business rates.

All ATM's I think will allow you to use them with this card at no charge and you can take out £300 per day or about NZ$740
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Dave n Ann

Main outlays include;

Hotels (2), in Rotorua.
Hotel (1) Ngongotaha.

Any advice?

Hi All,
Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.
We'll be over as planned and look forward to meeting those of you who have PM'ed us.