British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   credit crunch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/credit-crunch-596491/)

jjthefridge Mar 9th 2009 9:27 pm

credit crunch

Hi Guys,

just wondering how this global credit crisis is affecting things down in nz,is the jobs market slowing down, are house prices falling there as well.

j.j.:confused:

TeamEmbo Mar 9th 2009 10:42 pm

Re: credit crunch

yes and yes! Its a world-wide thing and I think we're all feeling the pinch

Genesis Mar 10th 2009 1:24 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 7361569)
yes and yes! Its a world-wide thing and I think we're all feeling the pinch

And its going to much worse here apparently..if you believe the 'experts'.

Still not a reason NOT to move to NZ as your money will buy you lots of 'shed' (as houses are fondly known here), the exchange rate is good and if you have a good secure job already arranged there's no reason to put off the emigration!! Moreover just because NZ is a wonderful, wonderful place to live..even with all the crappy problems that prevail.

Am Loolah Mar 10th 2009 5:28 am

I think you'd have to have a job offer in a field that may not suffer too bad in a recession - such as nursing or teaching to come now. Your savings will soon run out without a decent income as the interest rate is so low and predicted to continue to drop - although Oz didn't recently drop theirs and usually NZ follows them.

Without a skilled job here you'd be struggling employment wise now. We are both looking for bog standard, unskilled jobs and not even getting interviews. By the time they've picked themselves up off the floor and wiped their eyes and changed their underwear after reading my CV they even forget to write the "Thanks but no thanks letter ..." :sneaky:

I was talking to a friend here just this afternoon whose husband is a plumber and they are possibly having to move to ChCh where he may have a job as they haven't found one locally.:(

But, having said that, it's all worth it if you do get here in the end!:thumbsup:

jjthefridge Mar 10th 2009 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7362398)
I think you'd have to have a job offer in a field that may not suffer too bad in a recession - such as nursing or teaching to come now. Your savings will soon run out without a decent income as the interest rate is so low and predicted to continue to drop - although Oz didn't recently drop theirs and usually NZ follows them.

Without a skilled job here you'd be struggling employment wise now. We are both looking for bog standard, unskilled jobs and not even getting interviews. By the time they've picked themselves up off the floor and wiped their eyes and changed their underwear after reading my CV they even forget to write the "Thanks but no thanks letter ..." :sneaky:

I was talking to a friend here just this afternoon whose husband is a plumber and they are possibly having to move to ChCh where he may have a job as they haven't found one locally.:(

But, having said that, it's all worth it if you do get here in the end!:thumbsup:

Hi,

when i was applying for pr last year had job offer, even though i withdraw it (applying again next year) job offer is still there, been talking to other companies/agencies, jobs are there but most don't want to know untill we're in a possition to come over(being a supermarket fridgey there allways work around), just got to wait till early next year.:eek:

hey ho, we may even get a summer this year

sparkie down under Mar 11th 2009 8:04 pm

Hi
When I came here I had 5 job offers and wages ranging between 25 and 32 p/h, NOW there are hardly any jobs, (decent jobs) to be had and if you do get an offer the money has dropped to 22 p/h. And some prick, (JK), thinks we aren't affected.

By the way it's getting as bad in Oz, but there still are jobs and the money is way better.

Hope it's still the same in 2 year time. (some of you may have to think about that one)!