Credit cards

Old Dec 9th 2011, 7:18 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit cards

any suggestions on a good one in NZ?
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit cards

I did a little study of them a while back, somewhere on here to check out who was offering the best rewards scheme. I'll go search for it in a sec.

Meanwhile I have just recently got myself an American Express Gold Card. Get me!! Cos I got some special offer thing sent through where membership was free and they were giving $100 cash back if you spent $500 in the first month. So it's worthwhile seeing if you can find a freebie offer or negotiate on the fees.

Everyone told me Amex would be difficult to use as not everywhere accepts it, but I have only found one or two places where it was declined - Post Shop I think was one of them. I manage to use mine most days for something or another. All the supermarkets and The Warehouse are fine with it, which is where I spend most of my money anyway.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the earlier thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=Amex
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

mcgarnagle will become famous soon enoughmcgarnagle will become famous soon enough

I've got a BNZ Lite - 12.25% APR
Old Dec 10th 2011, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Do they still all have annual fees over there?
Old Dec 10th 2011, 8:13 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
lots of them seem to have 6mthly fees so really do need to look around. got husband looking and have given him this link to any other advise would be gratefully recvd
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

$50 per card per annum. But we pay off the debt every month so effectively getting up to 8 weeks free credit PLUS with Westpac you get Hotpoints and just traded about 3 years worth of purchases on the card for $500 worth of Noel Leeming vouchers, so we are well up on the deal. All that free credit and $200 up on the $300 card fees for the 2 cards over 3 years. Nice to get one up on the bank eh????
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
$50 per card per annum. But we pay off the debt every month so effectively getting up to 8 weeks free credit PLUS with Westpac you get Hotpoints and just traded about 3 years worth of purchases on the card for $500 worth of Noel Leeming vouchers, so we are well up on the deal. All that free credit and $200 up on the $300 card fees for the 2 cards over 3 years. Nice to get one up on the bank eh????
As good as that is you can do much the same thing in the UK but without the annual fee. AND, if so inclined, in Blighty you can still open a new card with 15 months interest-free purchases and/or keep transferring balances every 12 months or so for only 3% (when the rate of inflation is more like 5%)

But you do have to be careful and plenty of people end up in trouble
Old Dec 11th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

As good as that is you can do much the same thing in the UK but without the annual fee. AND, if so inclined, in Blighty you can still open a new card with 15 months interest-free purchases and/or keep transferring balances every 12 months or so for only 3% (when the rate of inflation is more like 5%)

But you do have to be careful and plenty of people end up in trouble
But I am in NZ..not the UK. And to be frank you only get into trouble if you are stupid or desparate. Pay it off each month. If you can't maybe you need to look at a budgeting course. I have been utterly skint in the past, living from week to week on half arse wages. I lived within my means. Easy as. It is called discipline.