Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cr@ppy Housing Market - UK

Cr@ppy Housing Market - UK

Old May 9th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Rock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cr@ppy Housing Market - UK

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
After 8 and a half months, 5 notes of interest, 4 offers, one sale fall through, 1 suspected ulcer, 1 near divorce and many tears and tantrums it look like we have a buyer who wants in in less than 4 WEEKS!

Doesn't give me time to stop and think, which is possibly a good thing, possibly the worst, but fingers crossed it doesn't fall through.

How's everyone else getting on?

I'm away for beer and curry . . . .
If its any consolation (which I imagine its not) you are not alone in your misery in the UK. Le French housing market is also very stale and I suspect that it will get worse. We are putting our house on the markt next week and I'm not bracing myself for the cascade of enquiries either. Were looking for about €240,000 which pushes it well over what most local French can afford (usually no more than €140,000).

We are heading out to Auckland at the end of the month for interviews (although I already have a provisional contract of employment) and have had out EOI selected. My biggest fear is getting our visas and not being able to leave because the house isn't sold. We have no mortgage but most of our equity is in the house and although the NZ job pays well it would be a struggle without sellling first - also a furnished house sells more quickly than an empty one.

BTW, In my experience, it is usually the least interested viewer that buys.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cr@ppy Housing Market - UK

Originally Posted by ginabridget
Now our main house is sold we've moved into said tenanted house, painted it, dressed it and re-marketed it, thought we'd sold it 2 weeks ago to a bloke that wanted to complete in 8 weeks and I though WAHOO NZ here we come But then he had a problem with his mortgage (he was doing a let-to-buy) so now he's put his flat on the market and now has to wait for his to sell before he can buy ours, so we're back on the open market.

Had a viewing this morning, seemed to go well, but they were definitely viewing all the other houses for sale in the area.

Here's an update from me - the people that viewed who were also viewing every other house in the area decided that they wanted our one I got really excited because they're first time buyers so have no chain, they agreed to a four week delay between exchange and completion (to give us time to hand in notice at work, sell furniture, etc), it has just taken 5 weeks for their mortgage offer to be issued, apparently this is because the bank they're using is one of the few hight street banks left that is lending money and they have a huge back-log of work. Hopefully the searches will be started this week and we might be able to exchange in about 2 weeks...but until that actually happens I'm trying not to get too excited

Oh yeah, the bloke who wanted to buy our house but couldn't get the mortgage, well he's struggling to sell his house and the estate agent that we were using that introduced him to us has now gone bust so I think that one is pretty much a dead-end.

So it seems that after 14 months on the market something may actually be happening