Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cr@ppy Housing Market - UK

Cr@ppy Housing Market - UK

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of
Default Cr@ppy Housing Market - UK

Is anyone else selling up just now to move to NZ?

Do you think the market has already crashed?

Are any houses selling?

Is it just my house?

It's been 10 wks and we've had 13 viewers - 3 have been quite interested and then . . . nothing!

There are 8 other's in our area that I know of that have been on market longer than ours.

I'm starting to get seller fatigue and it's now getting to the embarrassing stage where you know all the neighbours are thinking "God, what's wrong with her house?"

Last edited by weebossyboots; Oct 23rd 2007 at 2:22 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cr@ppy Housing Market - UK

It may seem it, but 8 weeks isn't that long on the market. People are finding it harder to get mortgages so that has slowed things a bit.

Stay positive. As the saying goes you only need one buyer!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by weebossyboots

Are any houses selling?

Is it just my house?

It's been 10 wks and we've had 13 viewers - 3 have been quite interested and then . . . nothing!

There are 8 other's in our area that I know off that have been on market longer than ours.

I'm starting to get seller fatigue and it's now getting to the embarrassing stage where you know all the neighbours are thinking "God, what's wrong with her house?"

Hi,

We are in the same boat.
We have had ours up for 1 month 2 viewings, and 1 no show.

First person offered 20k below asking price (turned it down)

Second came last week, loved house, still making their minds up.

We moved here over 7 years ago, our last house we sold it the day it went up for sale.

Estate agents say that the house market is dead.

We are really concerned.

Regards
Karen

Last edited by Kags1694; Oct 23rd 2007 at 3:12 pm. Reason: opps
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

mitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant future

We've had our house for sale for 4 months and had a few viewings but no interest.
It is starting to concern us now as we have the ITA ready and we have jobs to go to ...the employers have said they will wait till we get there but we can't go without selling and how long will they wait ..
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

I dont want to worry you all however we have had our house in the UK on the market for 14 months and reduced the price by 50k. We did have a buyer recently, who strung the sale out for 12 weeks, then decided on the day to exhange contracts that they didnt want to proceed with the sale. We are now going down the auction route.

On a brighter note, there are a couple of tips I could offer which have worked for us.

1. Hold an open home / open day over a weekend.
In NZ the majority of houses are sold by open home. We asked our agents to do this and they said no!! So we then reminded them who there customer was and that we would get family to be at the open home. We held it on a Sat and Sun during 11.00 - 2.00. Got the agent to do some advertising and mail there mailing list, put balloons on the for sael sign. The results we amazing, 14 viewers over the two days. This didnt get us a buyer, however the feedback was great and it gave us a real idea of the market, what people liked and didnt like and if there are any serious buyers out there.

2. Accept the best offer you get.
When we first put the house on the market we had a really cheaky offer which we turned down straight away. Now Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we could have got a better offer, however 14 months on, we have accepted an offer exactly the same as that offer at the beginning. This has happended to us three times now, so it does make you think that you should take the money and run.

The best of luck to anyone selling there house. It can be very, very stressfull especially if you have moved to NZ and trying to keep two houses going. Weigh up the money side and the impact on your current and new life. We cant move on until the house has sold, and are living everyday checking email and hoping for some completion.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

It is often said the first offer is the best offer.

You know there were some interesting articles I recently read about the real estate market in UK. Basically if you are not selling if Grovsner Square or such other places, you are facing a different market then before.

Good luck. We have been there. We ended up putting in a new bathroom and dropping selling in the end at 16,000 below the first asking price. Total time from listing to closing, something like 7 months.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Yep thats right

What I meant to say for tip number two was. Accept the first offer you get. It will probably be the best. In the current market, they dont come along very often.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:07 am
Jen

jenjag will become famous soon enoughjenjag will become famous soon enough

Are any houses selling?

Is it just my house?

There are 8 other's in our area that I know of that have been on market longer than ours.

Hiya,

We are in the same situation but we are already in NZ. House been on market for nearly 5 months, the market has gone dead. Bloody HIPS dint help as everyone put their house on market before 1st July and saturated the market! Not good at all, it is abit of a worry! Hope it sells soon, Good luck with yours.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Dolly Daydream will become famous soon enoughDolly Daydream will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Cr@ppy Housing Market - UK

I agree with everyone else - houses are stuck -ours included. August onwards the market died. All this sub prime finance scare and Northern Rock and the HIPS - and of course the interest rate increasing are all biting - is NZ next? Seemingly other parts of Western Europe plus of course US are on the decline. Went to the NZ expo and a bloke from Baileys said that NZ had slowed down - what do others think?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

We put our house on the market just 3 weeks ago.
We've had no viewings, nothing. And all the estate agent can say is "the market's quiet at the moment".
It's advertised on the internet and been in the local paper once, I know it'll happen....I'd just like it to hurry up:curse:
If it hasn't sold by the time we need to go out, we're going to give power of attourney to the solicitors and they'll sort it out, we've been quoted £95 plus VAT, so I didn't think that was too bad.
Good luck to all those selling up. Just keep smiling and remember it will happen.....who am I trying to convince here, you or me

Cheers

Catkin
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:44 pm
Baa Baa

KiwiKate will become famous soon enoughKiwiKate will become famous soon enough

Wow! We sold our house in 2005 - we had it on the market for about 8 months, had probably on average 1 viewing a week, 5 offers but we held out for asking price offer - we had the luxury of not being in any real rush to sell.

Anyway, I'm amazed that it really goes much quicker than that! This was 2005 in Surrey, and we didn't seem to be particularly unusual - loads of places were on the market for ages.

So I'd say that the current UK market sounds not too dissimilar to the 2005 UK market!!!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

slimchic will become famous soon enoughslimchic will become famous soon enough

Are any houses selling?

Is it just my house?

Hi

we too are selling our house to move to nz. its been on the market since feb and we have dropped £10k recently. we had a silly offer in the beggining £30k below the asking price- we refused of course. there are several houses down our road for sale which doesn't help, however two have just sold and ours is the nicest of the one left, so we are hopeful. the etate agent says the price is right, but the market is being nobbled by bad press, continuing interest rises, and banks being more reserved about giving mortgages after recent events. take heart though, if the market does crash, it will recover, and if it crashes here and in the USA, that follows everywhere else, so if we all sell soon, it could be of benefit to wait to buy elsewhere= i hope when i went to expo07 the other week, everso many people were in the situation of not being able to sell their houses. However, spring is a good time and statistically houses do sell! so i am willing to be confident.. also a market crash has been forecast many times before and not materialised, so we shall see. If it crashes it will come back up again, but we will just need to wait perhaps for it to do so.......hope everyone in this thread sells soon!!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hang on in there everyone. We are.
Try the open home idea, you have nothing to lose.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Rosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pastor Flaps
Hang on in there everyone. We are.
Try the open home idea, you have nothing to lose.
I feel better reading all this, we put our house on about three months ago and have had a whole one viewer! We are in West Scotland and nothing in our area is moving unless it is on at a "fixed price". We will on it until after crimble, fix the price and if there is no joy we will not be going. The OH had a job lined up with a provisional start date of the end of September - we had a really angry e-mail when he told the the original start date was a no go, but we had made it very clear that everything depended on the house sale, oh well...anyone looking for an eighteenth century townhouse - a bargain, tastefully decorated, depersonalised, emptied, scrubbed etc oh well!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

slimchic will become famous soon enoughslimchic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rosiebear
I feel better reading all this, we put our house on about three months ago and have had a whole one viewer! We are in West Scotland and nothing in our area is moving unless it is on at a "fixed price". We will on it until after crimble, fix the price and if there is no joy we will not be going. The OH had a job lined up with a provisional start date of the end of September - we had a really angry e-mail when he told the the original start date was a no go, but we had made it very clear that everything depended on the house sale, oh well...anyone looking for an eighteenth century townhouse - a bargain, tastefully decorated, depersonalised, emptied, scrubbed etc oh well!
Hi don't give up hope. houses always sell in the end but it just takes time sometimes. the run up to crimble from now doesn't tend to be a time when houses sell anyway, so we are hoping to get a sale in the new year when everyone kicks into action and is more positive, then maybe another job will come up thats better for you! sometimes i find that things can look bleak or go wrong but then turn out much better in the long run, and i end up being grateful for the intial blockage or problem because the results are better in the end.:thumbsu p:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.