Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

CQDX from Auckland North Shore

CQDX from Auckland North Shore

Old May 25th 2006, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about
Default CQDX from Auckland North Shore

I know regular readers are waiting with baited breath to hear news from Radio Ham since the start of the adventure in May, and now that I'm finaly up and running on Xtra I'm happy to report I'm alive and well...

Having waved a tearful goodbye (me, not the family) at the airport, the 29 hour flight in economy was all I remembered it to be. My back has just about recovered.

At the airport my 6 month holiday visit was waved through immigration, my luggage all turned up and the sun was out. Pity the car booked to pick me up was not waiting! Orientation using the Spencer on Byron where I'd stayed before was a great plan, with this base of operations allowing me to get straight in my first week in May, finding both a rental property in Devonport and buying a Hilux Surf from Albany Toyota.

Week two was spent sorting out the house and starting my job hunting, telephone installed, Sky installed (don't bother).

Week three involves ferry commutes to the CBD to meet job consultants, with some encouraging noises so far. Life commuting this way is no problem.
Walks on the beach and revisiting some of the places visited with the family in 2005.

This week, week 4, has been spent setting up the home office and applying directly for jobs using Seek. I've also decided to have some fun too, and bought a beach rod and gear which can be seen in action from the shore next to Stanley Bay ferry. Score so far: 3 large Kawhai (jacks) and 1 snapper. Yummy.

Today is Friday, and there's a gale blowing and it's overcast... but who cares?
I think I'll take the golfclubs out for thier first outing. The weekend beckons too.....