Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Covid testing prior to travelling to the UK and experiences of MIQ

Covid testing prior to travelling to the UK and experiences of MIQ

Old Aug 3rd 2021, 10:55 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute
Question Covid testing prior to travelling to the UK and experiences of MIQ

So has anyone travelled to the UK and back recently? Have only found 2 places online that offer the pre-flight covid tests that I need to enter Singapore and the UK. Labtests seems to do it for $141 plus GP's fee. The other company was even more expensive.
I believe that I need a day 2 covid test in the UK. Then another before returning to NZ via Singapore.
Just wondered if anyone here has experience of the process.
I'm dreading the whole MIQ thing. Will be bringing lots of food essentials back with me for survival purposes. Yorkshire tea, Weetabix, Alpen, Cadbury's chocolate etc.
Any top tips from anyone?

I'm fully vaccinated 👍
Old Aug 5th 2021, 2:02 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid testing prior to travelling to the UK and experiences of MIQ

Just me then 🤣
Old Aug 5th 2021, 8:39 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sorry Vital, nope sorry have no idea. but hey enjoy your trip & dont forget to mask up
Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:00 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

You're lucky that NZ is on the green list. The day 2 test can be booked online, in fact it has to be booked before you travel because you will need that code to put on the Passenger Locator Form. There are hundreds of place and clinics offering tests and test package kits etc. all at differing prices. Boots the Chemist does them too but they're not what I call cheap at £75. Lots of them are postal kits and they send the kit to your UK address to coincide with your flight date arrival. Some flight companies have a list of clinics/testing places on their websites with a discount code.
I haven't done any of this personally but I keep checking all the rules for amber and green countries hoping that Italy will turn green.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 8:48 pm
Finally mesh free!

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza View Post
You're lucky that NZ is on the green list. The day 2 test can be booked online, in fact it has to be booked before you travel because you will need that code to put on the Passenger Locator Form. There are hundreds of place and clinics offering tests and test package kits etc. all at differing prices. Boots the Chemist does them too but they're not what I call cheap at £75. Lots of them are postal kits and they send the kit to your UK address to coincide with your flight date arrival. Some flight companies have a list of clinics/testing places on their websites with a discount code.
I haven't done any of this personally but I keep checking all the rules for amber and green countries hoping that Italy will turn green.
I'm hoping that NZ and Singapore (transit through) remain on the green list. I'm fairly sure they will but nothing is certain in a pandemic. I hope Italy moves to the green list very soon for you. It's so bloody hard.
Thanks for all the information Lorna, that's really useful.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 12:25 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
I'm hoping that NZ and Singapore (transit through) remain on the green list. I'm fairly sure they will but nothing is certain in a pandemic. I hope Italy moves to the green list very soon for you. It's so bloody hard.

Lion might be able to input a little more.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 10:36 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. I hope you manage to get it all worked out. It is hard. I could go back tomorrow, paying out a small fortune for all the tests of course, but if my son comes with me he'd have to quarantine over there for 10 days because he isn't double jabbed yet, he's only had his first dose. Not much point in him coming back to quarantine. Even if I go alone and leave him here, I have to quarantine in Italy for 5 days on my return because Italy is scared of Brits bringing in the Delta. I also have to carry new Brexit paperwork with me to prove that I am a permanent resident in Italy so that the Venice airport guards won't stamp my passport as a 90 day tourist. It's all so effing disheartening.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Hetts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vital
I have just returned from the UK via Singapore and done my two weeks in isolation. I can tell you what I know:
1. Got my pre-departure test done at Northcross - was really easy and had the results back in plenty of time. They said they would ensure this. Not cheap, but none of this is.
2. Tests in the UK - when I arrived had to have day 2 & day 8 tests (expensive) and I paid for day 5 early release too. A week after I arrived they said those from NZ didn't have to quarantine...
3. Transit in Singapore really easy. On the way to the UK it's fine but nothing is open and on the return they walk you from one plane to the next - no time to stop as I did the 55 min transit. All good.
4. Flights were fine and plenty of room to get a row to yourself without having to pay for an upgrade. I would say that service wasn't great nor as good as I remember as more recently I have travelled via LAX or Dubai.
5. MIQ isn't so bad if you get a reasonable hotel. I came in on the late Singapore flight purposefully as although there is no guarantee to be in Auckland, I thankfully was at the Novotel at the airport. My point being that unless you want to be in Christchurch or Rotorua, there are no flights available by the time the Singapore flight lands.
6. For me time in MIQ was welcome, although I did want to get home. The first week allows you to get over the jetlag and as I was working mon-fri it also meant it kept me busy. It was also a buffer for me from the real world as I have come back after mum died.
If there is anything else I can help with, just let me know
Old Sep 15th 2021, 9:47 am
Finally mesh free!

Originally Posted by Hetts View Post
Hi Vital
I have just returned from the UK via Singapore and done my two weeks in isolation. I can tell you what I know:
1. Got my pre-departure test done at Northcross - was really easy and had the results back in plenty of time. They said they would ensure this. Not cheap, but none of this is.
2. Tests in the UK - when I arrived had to have day 2 & day 8 tests (expensive) and I paid for day 5 early release too. A week after I arrived they said those from NZ didn't have to quarantine...
3. Transit in Singapore really easy. On the way to the UK it's fine but nothing is open and on the return they walk you from one plane to the next - no time to stop as I did the 55 min transit. All good.
4. Flights were fine and plenty of room to get a row to yourself without having to pay for an upgrade. I would say that service wasn't great nor as good as I remember as more recently I have travelled via LAX or Dubai.
5. MIQ isn't so bad if you get a reasonable hotel. I came in on the late Singapore flight purposefully as although there is no guarantee to be in Auckland, I thankfully was at the Novotel at the airport. My point being that unless you want to be in Christchurch or Rotorua, there are no flights available by the time the Singapore flight lands.
6. For me time in MIQ was welcome, although I did want to get home. The first week allows you to get over the jetlag and as I was working mon-fri it also meant it kept me busy. It was also a buffer for me from the real world as I have come back after mum died.
If there is anything else I can help with, just let me know
Thanks so much for this information. I'm very sorry to hear about your mum. It's hard isn't it. My mum died last year during the first lockdown.
Sorry I haven't replied to this sooner. Unfortunately my dad isn't too well. He gets the results from various tests on Monday and we'll have a better idea of what's going on then. I'm sure he'll have to have an operation in the next few weeks and then he'll probably need chemo and/or radiotherapy. It wasn't quite the trip I had hoped for but I'm so relieved to be going.
I get my 48 hour pre-departure test done tomorrow, so fingers crossed it's okay.
I could only get a flight that lands in the morning to fit in with my MIQ place....bugger. So I'll be were I'll be! Depending on the results of dad's tests then I may have to delay my return.
Many thanks for everyone's input.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:20 pm
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for this information. I'm very sorry to hear about your mum. It's hard isn't it. My mum died last year during the first lockdown.
Sorry I haven't replied to this sooner. Unfortunately my dad isn't too well. He gets the results from various tests on Monday and we'll have a better idea of what's going on then. I'm sure he'll have to have an operation in the next few weeks and then he'll probably need chemo and/or radiotherapy. It wasn't quite the trip I had hoped for but I'm so relieved to be going.
I get my 48 hour pre-departure test done tomorrow, so fingers crossed it's okay.
I could only get a flight that lands in the morning to fit in with my MIQ place....bugger. So I'll be were I'll be! Depending on the results of dad's tests then I may have to delay my return.
Many thanks for everyone's input.
Don't know if you have sorted the Day Two test thingy, but a friend flying in today to the UK has used https://booking.randox.com/ and several people he knows have gone with them too.

Best of luck for the trip.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 8:33 pm
Finally mesh free!

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Don't know if you have sorted the Day Two test thingy, but a friend flying in today to the UK has used https://booking.randox.com/ and several people he knows have gone with them too.

Best of luck for the trip.
Many thanks Polly.
I can't remember who I've booked my day 2 test with but it's all in hand. Things have become a bit of a blur over the last couple of weeks.
Had Denise from Singapore Airlines give me a courtesy call yesterday morning, just checking that I had everything in place and answered some queries. Very helpful.
Off to get my PCR test done soon. Fingers and toes crossed!
Old Sep 15th 2021, 10:26 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

All the best to you, your Dad and all your family back home.
Safe journey and travels.
M
Old Sep 16th 2021, 11:11 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Polly.
I can't remember who I've booked my day 2 test with but it's all in hand. Things have become a bit of a blur over the last couple of weeks.
Had Denise from Singapore Airlines give me a courtesy call yesterday morning, just checking that I had everything in place and answered some queries. Very helpful.
Everything crossed for you x
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:13 am
Finally mesh free!

Many thanks BEVS and Pollyana. Just about to start packing. As expected, my PCR test was negative but it's a relief to have it confirmed.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:20 am
Somewhere

Many thanks BEVS and Pollyana. Just about to start packing. As expected, my PCR test was negative but it's a relief to have it confirmed.
Hurrah. Off you jolly well go,