British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Course fees for international students (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/course-fees-international-students-650672/)

dave77 Jan 22nd 2010 9:21 am

Course fees for international students

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody knew at what point you would no longer have to pay course fees for international students (ridiculously high!!)??

Would it be when you gained PR or are we talking citizenship here? Long story....:unsure:

Bijilo123 Jan 22nd 2010 9:30 am

Re: Course fees for international students

The students have to be resident for three years in the UK to qualify for home student fees.

dave77 Jan 22nd 2010 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8272132)
The students have to be resident for three years in the UK to qualify for home student fees.

Thanks Bijilo, do you know how long you would have to be a resident in NZ before you qualify for home student fees? :)

Justcol Jan 22nd 2010 6:21 pm

As far as a know you qualify for home fee's when you get PR

dave77 Jan 22nd 2010 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8273311)
As far as a know you qualify for home fee's when you get PR

Thanks Colandros, thats what I was hoping to hear! Fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

TeamEmbo Jan 22nd 2010 7:05 pm

We came over originally on Work to Residency visas and didn't have to pay international student fees for primary/secondary education. Kids had students visas. Not sure about tertiary fees on a WTR visa :unsure:

george toni Jan 22nd 2010 7:25 pm

once you have pr its nz fee not international ones so dont panic!

george

CarolineSwan Jan 22nd 2010 9:34 pm

i start a course next month on PR and dont have to pay internatial fees, doesnt matter how long you here as long as you have pr

MOSO Jan 23rd 2010 12:17 am

Same - I'm starting a degree at Uni of Waikato next month and I'm paying domestic fees on PR.

I have also applied for a government student loan and help with childcare costs which according to the website I should be eligible for but I've yet to have confirmation:fingerscrossed:

teebrown Jan 23rd 2010 6:14 am

Oh I start my degree next month, but was told that I couldn't claim any help from government until I have had PR for 2 years, is this not the case then??

MOSO Jan 23rd 2010 7:24 am

Really not sure - I read that too, but then I typed in my details including the date I got PR and it said I was entitled to claim for a student loan and OSCAR childcare costs but nothing else. I've filled out the online forms but haven't received confirmation of anything yet so I don't know, but I figure it's worth a try.

dave77 Jan 23rd 2010 4:13 pm

Excellent news!! Thanks gentlemen and ladies, thats a huge relief :thumbup:

p.s. nice to see so many of you taking further education :)

teebrown Jan 23rd 2010 7:50 pm

Just interested, what is everyone studying then? I'm just about to start a Midwifery degree at CPIT.

MOSO Jan 24th 2010 4:47 am

Bachelor of Teaching Primary - extramurally - via the University of Waikato in Hamilton.

I'll let you know if/when I hear back about the student loan.

dave77 Jan 24th 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 8276750)
Bachelor of Teaching Primary - extramurally - via the University of Waikato in Hamilton.

I'll let you know if/when I hear back about the student loan.

How long is the course? My good lady wife is looking at a one year primary teaching diploma (because NZQA don't recognise her current UK teaching quals ) :(