Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Couple of questions - last minute move to NZ!

Couple of questions - last minute move to NZ!

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

arthurfowler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple of questions - last minute move to NZ!

Hello, i'm new here and have a few questions as my move to NZ is in only a couple of months!

i'm moving with my partner and hoping to move with a partner visa. I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind!

I am transporting some goods including a large TV which i bought in October. I paid around 600 pounds for it and dont want to lose it. Would I get hit with a large import duty fee?

We are not sure where we are moving exactly. it's auckland though and would like somewhere about a 10 min drive to the cbd. where would you recommend? Budget is around 300 nz per week.

Would my partner's salary of 70k nz be enough to support us both until i found a job?

i want to get a job in a field other than marketing (my current expertise). i am not fond of it anymore and would like to do something different. i was thinking about a job at the airport - any job really - apart from cleaning/baggage handler. are there jobs available? what else could i do for about 30k nz with limited experience in anything other than marketing?

if i were to go back into marketing (if only for temp/part time), is there an abundance of marketing jobs? are they difficult to come by?

i am worried because i will only know a handful of people (if that) and want to make friends easily. how did you all cope?

how much would one expect to pay for a second hand car - nothing fancy, but reliable?

Thank you!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of questions - last minute move to NZ!

Bringing the TV will be fine (hope you still have the box). They occasionally sting people for brand new stuff but not if it has been used.
Surely you'll be able to survive on the Xmas Club money?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

You'll not get much for $300 a week within a 10 minute drive to the CBD, infact you're not going to get much anywhere in Auckland for $300 a week.

A small reliable car will cost you at least 4 to 5 grand, we just went down to Otuhuhu and checked out the many car sales places. If this is your price range have a wonder around Otohuhu. I think there's a train station so it's easy to get there.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:54 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
You'll not get much for $300 a week within a 10 minute drive to the CBD, infact you're not going to get much anywhere in Auckland for $300 a week.

A small reliable car will cost you at least 4 to 5 grand, we just went down to Otuhuhu and checked out the many car sales places. If this is your price range have a wonder around Otohuhu. I think there's a train station so it's easy to get there.
I was looking the other day and they might get an apartment for that price near the CBD. Might be an option while they look around for something else.

You are right, they won't get a house rental for that in a decent area.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
Bringing the TV will be fine (hope you still have the box). They occasionally sting people for brand new stuff but not if it has been used.
Surely you'll be able to survive on the Xmas Club money?
Yep still have box!

Xmas club money? what do you mean?

We dont need a house - an apmnt will be fine, thanks for all the comments
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arthurfowler
Xmas club money? what do you mean?
reference to EastEnders many many years ago
Old Feb 24th 2013, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat

$5k is right on the money for a 10-15 year old run about. That will buy you a nice and hopefully reliable car. Swerve away from imports from Europe at that money but a Toyota, Mazda or Honda will do nicely. Look at www.trademe.co.nz it is our e bay, go to the 'motors' section and you can do a search on your price range.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 2:50 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

The TV will only work with a set top box, Freeview or Sky via HDMI or SCART sockets etc, it won't receive the terrestrial TV service via the aerial.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the input. Any advice about where to go looking for jobs? I've looked online and things look a bit light on jobs. Would companies be willing to offer me employment in non skilled jobs? Or would these likely be reserved for kiwis?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:54 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Why would non-skilled jobs be reserved for Kiwis???

Its a similar job market to the UK, just on a much smaller scale with some idiosyncrasies (similar to small island syndrome).

You need a visa first in any case, no visa, no work of any kind.

Look on seek.co.nz if you havent already although many unskilled jobs are just advertised locally or by word-of-mouth. Cant really say there is "an abundance" of jobs in any field at the moment.

Last edited by simonsi; Feb 24th 2013 at 4:57 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with Simonsi, there are jobs out there but not as many as a few years ago. If your partner is earning 70k and you have no kids you'll be able to manage while you look. Something will certainly turn up in Auckland.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Why would non-skilled jobs be reserved for Kiwis???
Not so much "reserved" for Kiwi's but it is certainly a case of "who you know".... and Kiwi's tend to know more people... the "old school tie" works wonders for kiwi's.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:01 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Not so much "reserved" for Kiwi's but it is certainly a case of "who you know".... and Kiwi's tend to know more people... the "old school tie" works wonders for kiwi's.
I know that. I've been here a while, but why non-skilled reserved for Kiwi's was my question...

The old school tie effect works very well at all skill levels as far as I can see....
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by arthurfowler
Thanks for all the input. Any advice about where to go looking for jobs? I've looked online and things look a bit light on jobs. Would companies be willing to offer me employment in non skilled jobs? Or would these likely be reserved for kiwis?
Not sure I get the drift of this.
I think this means that if there is casual or general type work available , word of mouth between family and friends wins the day over a. n. other applying.
The 'who knows who' thing.

Mind you, that seems to be the same for most vacancies.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not sure I get the drift of this.
I think this means that if there is casual or general type work available , word of mouth between family and friends wins the day over a. n. other applying.
The 'who knows who' thing.

Mind you, that seems to be the same for most vacancies.
Yes that's what I meant - in addition to employers favouring people who are NZ residents and therefore less chance of leaving etc.