Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Couple of questions...

Couple of questions...

Old Jan 30th 2012, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Couple of questions...

...my father has asked if I can take a 20 year old bottle of whisky out to his brother in NZ. Can I?
He also wants to apply for a Residency Visa using his brother who is a citizen. All lovely but my father is 79 next month and my Uncle is 83. Would he be allowed?
Thanks people, any thoughts much appreciated x
Old Jan 30th 2012, 5:46 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of questions...

found this on the custom site:

On entering New Zealand you are entitled to bring in the following quantities of alcohol products free of Customs duty, provided that you are over 17 years of age* and that the goods:

Accompany you through the Customs arrival process.
Are for your own personal use, or intended as gifts.
Are not carried on behalf of another person.
Are not intended for sale or exchange.

If the above is applicable the following amounts are allowed duty free:

4.5 litres of wine or 4.5 litres of beer.
Three bottles (or other containers) each containing not more than 1,125ml of spirits, liqueur, or other spirituous beverages.

Any amounts over the above will be liable for Customs duty and goods and services tax (GST). This includes bottles which are of greater volumes than the one described.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

as for Residency question I would call Immigration office and ask what are the chances.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
found this on the custom site:

On entering New Zealand you are entitled to bring in the following quantities of alcohol products free of Customs duty, provided that you are over 17 years of age* and that the goods:

Accompany you through the Customs arrival process.
Are for your own personal use, or intended as gifts.
Are not carried on behalf of another person.
Are not intended for sale or exchange.

If the above is applicable the following amounts are allowed duty free:

4.5 litres of wine or 4.5 litres of beer.
Three bottles (or other containers) each containing not more than 1,125ml of spirits, liqueur, or other spirituous beverages.

Any amounts over the above will be liable for Customs duty and goods and services tax (GST). This includes bottles which are of greater volumes than the one described.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

as for Residency question I would call Immigration office and ask what are the chances.
Thanks Mrs F. The thing is the whisky would come from home, not bought at duty free shop. It's some special bottle he's got.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:32 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

then it would be classed as a gift (?), couldn't find anything that covered alcohol as a gift. Does seem strange. maybe give Customs a call and ask. Can't see it being a problem you can bring alcohol in so why not some rather vintage grog.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

then it would be classed as a gift (?), couldn't find anything that covered alcohol as a gift. Does seem strange. maybe give Customs a call and ask. Can't see it being a problem you can bring alcohol in so why not some rather vintage grog.
What's bothering me is that they don't let you through with more than 100ml of liquid these days, even flipping water! Would be awful to have it taken off me!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

You would need to put it into your checked baggage - plenty of bubble wrap/corrugated card etc. If you take it as hand baggage, they will def take it from you!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chippy64
You would need to put it into your checked baggage - plenty of bubble wrap/corrugated card etc. If you take it as hand baggage, they will def take it from you!
I'll have other things like lollies and gravy powder that I plan to declare on arrival, so would have to declare booze too. Of course if it breaks I'll get a chilly reception at my uncles!!!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 7:23 pm

no would put in checked luggage nicely wrapped.

Declare everything on the forms on the way through, my hubby declared the same thing under 2 categories as marmite seemed to cover both, when they queried both categories and got marmite for the answer to both they just laughed and waved him through.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely put it in your checked luggage. If you try to carry it on in your hand luggage, they WILL take it off you. It has to go in your suitcase.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 7:54 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I've carried bottles of wine in my checked bag a few times and never had one break, it's the only way you can take it over. I wrap newspaper round it then place it in a polythene bag, tape it up really tightly and then pack clothes round it [and hope I've done a good enough job so that if it does break all my clothes don't stink of red wine when I arrive]. Been lucky so far!

Not sure about your father's situation. It looks like he may be too old for the sibling category http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ld/default.htm I don't know enough to know whether there's any other way.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Persephone
I've carried bottles of wine in my checked bag a few times and never had one break, it's the only way you can take it over. I wrap newspaper round it then place it in a polythene bag, tape it up really tightly and then pack clothes round it [and hope I've done a good enough job so that if it does break all my clothes don't stink of red wine when I arrive]. Been lucky so far!

Not sure about your father's situation. It looks like he may be too old for the sibling category http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ld/default.htm I don't know enough to know whether there's any other way.
Thanks P x I'll give it a go, if it smashes I'll let him pick up the bill.
He's having a dinner where High Commissioner is guest so will try to get some more answers.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

no would put in checked luggage nicely wrapped.

Declare everything on the forms on the way through, my hubby declared the same thing under 2 categories as marmite seemed to cover both, when they queried both categories and got marmite for the answer to both they just laughed and waved him through.
I always declare everything, find you get through quicker on the Declare channel, last time they just put case through xray and we were on our way, meanwhile those in the nothing to Declare channel were being thoroughly searched

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 30th 2012 at 9:18 pm. Reason: tidy quotes
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

If the tax has already been paid on it (even in the UK) and you are allowed to bring 3 bottles of spirits into the country I can't see any issue. You cannot be taxed twice!!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a few old folks (100+) make the news as recent immigrants. An old guy a while back was 102 and a lady more recently. I think there may have been extenuating circumstances, last remaining family or something. I'll try find the news articles.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10768947

New Zealand's oldest immigrant has settled in and is looking forward to her upcoming 103rd birthday, says her son-in-law.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10774912

And the other

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10492455

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jan 31st 2012 at 9:40 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.