Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A couple of questions

A couple of questions

Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Andy Mellon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A couple of questions

I move to NZ in January, but I have a couple of questions for you. Do you know if UK electrical appliances will work in NZ? Will they need to be adapted at all to work.

Secondly, I have heard that paper driving licenses are not sufficient for the NZ authorities and you need to have a photo driving license. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Cheers,

Andy
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A couple of questions

Originally Posted by Andy Mellon
I move to NZ in January, but I have a couple of questions for you. Do you know if UK electrical appliances will work in NZ? Will they need to be adapted at all to work.

Secondly, I have heard that paper driving licenses are not sufficient for the NZ authorities and you need to have a photo driving license. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Cheers,

Andy
UK electrical appliances will work fine in NZ but buy a piece of kit when you get there which prevents surges / brown outs as their electricity supply is unreliable and variable and your appliances can get damaged by variations in the current.

Driving licences - bring your UK photo and counterpart licence and you can drive for a year. After that you must take at least part of the NZ driving test.

Good luck

Buzzy.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Andy Mellon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A couple of questions

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Driving licences - bring your UK photo and counterpart licence and you can drive for a year. After that you must take at least part of the NZ driving test.
Thanks for your help - my question about driving licenses is more concern to my gf, she only has the old style paper license, and not a photo license. Does she need to get a photo one before we go?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:35 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help - my question about driving licenses is more concern to my gf, she only has the old style paper license, and not a photo license. Does she need to get a photo one before we go?
Not sure but I would say she does, or if not she will need an international driving license.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

No you do not need the new style licence. Both Rob and I had the old pink paper ones, as we had had no reason to have them changed. Totally accepted here. It does puzzle them a bit when they see how many numbers and letters make up your UK driving licence number.

You have 1 year to take the written part of the NZ licence, after a year I think you have to do both written and practical. 35 questions on a scratch card, not hard.
Cheers
Gill
Old Nov 5th 2005, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
No you do not need the new style licence. Both Rob and I had the old pink paper ones, as we had had no reason to have them changed. Totally accepted here. It does puzzle them a bit when they see how many numbers and letters make up your UK driving licence number.

You have 1 year to take the written part of the NZ licence, after a year I think you have to do both written and practical. 35 questions on a scratch card, not hard.
Cheers
Gill

I agree with Gill thr old pink paper ones are fine and you can drive legally on it for 12 months. After that you need to get a NZ licence which requires the multiple choice 35 questions. No practical is required.

Cheers
Martin
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:36 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob

Cheers
Gill
I didnt think the practical test was a requirement Im thinking that you just need to sit the written test & then get your NZ licence
Old Nov 6th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shepslady
I didnt think the practical test was a requirement Im thinking that you just need to sit the written test & then get your NZ licence
1. You don't need a photo ID licence, you can drive on a paper one for a year.

2. If you have a full UK licence, not a provisional, you only have to sit the theory test.