British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   A Couple of questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/couple-questions-333558/)

Kheng Oct 25th 2005 5:41 pm

A Couple of questions

Hi All,

I have a few questions,

1, What removal company did you use to get your stuff down to NZ from UK. I have been told we have about 400sq feet of stuff to move. We have a few things in USA as well we like to move down also, any suggestions?

2, I was going to ask about jobs sites but I got that from another post.

3, How long did it take to get your work permit/pr?

4, Do they have bacon/sausages like in UK? :D I only ask because we currently live in Vermont USA and they have no such things!! :eek:

5, We are thinking about living in Wellington due to my husband working in IT, is it a nice area? Any hints on places to live? or were not to live.

6, If we rent, is there anything like council tax to pay or any other surprises.

7, Did you use anyone to help with the immigration, if so what sort of cost was involved?

8, We would like to have a job before we make the move, do employers hire with just a phone interview, or is it best to move down and then look once we are in NZ?

I am sure there is loads more questions but this is a start! We are looking forward to moving but scared silly at the same time!! :scared: I hope there some nice poeple in Wellington!

Thanks for any advice!

Kheng. :)

Servant24kids Oct 25th 2005 9:54 pm

Re: A Couple of questions

Hi Keng,

Can only answer a few of your queries:-

4. There are sausages and bacon here in NZ. Some say they taste awful, but I must have a very uneducated palate as I find them OK.

5. Wellington is supposedly suffering a skills shortage, so it may be you will not have difficulty in finding work.

6. Landlords should pay the council tax. It is usually not much anyway - probably a quarter of what it is in the UK. We are renting ... don't think there are any other surprises. Make sure you have a rental agreement you can get out of with minimal notice ... just in case.

7. I don't think hardly anyone uses an immigration agent. Perhaps those applying on a business visa or are too busy to read up and fill in the documentation. Expect to be 000's out of pocket if you do use one.

Good luck with the other queries.
:)

SarahB Oct 26th 2005 1:55 am

Re: A Couple of questions

Originally Posted by Kheng
Hi All,

I have a few questions,

1, What removal company did you use to get your stuff down to NZ from UK. I have been told we have about 400sq feet of stuff to move. We have a few things in USA as well we like to move down also, any suggestions?

2, I was going to ask about jobs sites but I got that from another post.

3, How long did it take to get your work permit/pr?

4, Do they have bacon/sausages like in UK? :D I only ask because we currently live in Vermont USA and they have no such things!! :eek:

5, We are thinking about living in Wellington due to my husband working in IT, is it a nice area? Any hints on places to live? or were not to live.

6, If we rent, is there anything like council tax to pay or any other surprises.

7, Did you use anyone to help with the immigration, if so what sort of cost was involved?

8, We would like to have a job before we make the move, do employers hire with just a phone interview, or is it best to move down and then look once we are in NZ?

I am sure there is loads more questions but this is a start! We are looking forward to moving but scared silly at the same time!! :scared: I hope there some nice poeple in Wellington!

Thanks for any advice!

Kheng. :)

Hiya... I can maybe answer a couple for you....

1. We used Hadley & Ottaway from Norwich and they were fabulous!! Their agent here in AKL is The Moving Company and they are good too.

3. PR actually took 2 days to get on Skilled Migrant category with job offer.

4. All the bacon we have tried here is tasteless....not sure what they do with it to make it so bad. Dont buy sausages in the supermarkets....go to a local butcher...ours in Beachlands is great and he does REAL pork sausages not just pork flavour.

6. We rent but cant think of any surprises.... the bond we had to pay was huge though.

7. Dont use anyone to help you with the immigration...do it yourself...its straight forward enough. You will pay literally thousands if you get an agent to do it for you.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers, Sarah B