Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Country/Rural Living

Country/Rural Living

Old Apr 7th 2014, 3:54 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Country/Rural Living

From the funky water and the heaps of mozzies, you may find that your tanks lid is loose or missing, and the mozzies have been using the tank water to breed. If light is getting in to the tank you might alos have some algae issues.

I harvest rainwater, and it goes through a 1 micron filter before entering the house. I change the filters every two months, and they are usually black, and that's with close fitting lids on the tanks. Remember that rainwater washes whatever's on the roof into the tank....
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:53 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd move
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I'd move
Haha - I've been here a week and I'm already tempted. It is lovely here but it's not home**... that may be due to factors beyond rats and stinky water...

** Should probably state that the *house* doesn't feel like home. NZ is awesome and feels like home...

Thank you Swana. I've only had the odd one or two since my massive feasting but I will try that as it's a tad cheaper than the lotions and potions in the shops!

Last edited by Helen256; Apr 7th 2014 at 7:12 am. Reason: Clarification.... possibly
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that the wasps do seem to be overly prolific this year also, I was stung a couple of weeks back so fear is heightened but they seem to be following me everywhere and certainly had me dancing around the garden like a crazy thing yesterday.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I have noticed that the wasps do seem to be overly prolific this year also, I was stung a couple of weeks back so fear is heightened but they seem to be following me everywhere and certainly had me dancing around the garden like a crazy thing yesterday.
In the same dancing boat here... I've also never been stung by a wasp/bee so it'd be my luck I'm allergic

I've scouted out the link and a 'bug man' and referred this info over to our land lord who, to be fair, has sorted out everything else so far.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Right-o then. Seems you are on the right track.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

I am, thank you for all your help and hints etc guys. It means a lot more than I could say without going all smushy on you.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:46 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Helen.

I have a great relationship with bugs. The mozzies and midgies love me too. I have trails of ants that follow me wherever I walk outside! Im sure I can hear the ants humming the 'conga' behind me.

My bites seemed to calm down when I started to use Lemon Soap to wash with. I bought it from Pac n Save. It did reduce the amount of bites I recieved too. Peel a banana and rub the inside of the skin onto your bite and it will stop it itching. It really works but unfortunately doesnt stop them biting in the first place.

Good luck with the rest of the little personalities running around your home.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Hehe - Pippa, you legend. Thank you!! It's tough being this popular, isn't it?!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Helen, we have a spring fed water tank system and we had triple filtration with UV light installed the day we moved in. Just wanted to point out that there are a lot of water testing laboratories in NZ and and they send you a kit for your water sample and they test it.You have to take it to the lab just after you've collected it. We had the full works testing done, about $300.00, and it was completely safe to drink. I would definitely get yours tested as the smell sounds weird to me.

I'm also one of those people who gets bitten a lot by mozzies but I use the tropical strength insect repellant before I go outside. It works fantastically for me and I'm someone who has really sensitive skin, i.e. there is only one sunscreen I can use without a skin reaction, believe me I've tried many, the Aerogard insect repellant works great. Not one skin reaction in 3 years of using it and I never get bitten when I use it.

Good luck with the rats.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Country/Rural Living

We are very rural, and we use a wireless pest controller, it emits a high pitched noise that only rats, mice, spiders etc can hear. We put it in the loft after having rats doing the Olympics in it at night! Plus dining out on the electrical wires! and it has done the trick, we also has white tailed spiders in the rooms, and they have beaten a retreat too!
We got it from Bunnings....
We also cant hear the noise it makes as its in the loft... and to be honest we could only just hear it when it was tested in the kitchen! kids didnt like it!
Our house has a floor space of about 380 sqm.

Hope this helps?
Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!

I got one of those electric high emitter things but have yet to see if it works. I need to go change it as when I plugged mine in, none of the lights lit up.

Britsinnz - that has also been added to my next shopping list! Touch wood, I've been ok so far, apart from what I now think is a sandfly bite on the sole of my foot!
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:45 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say, lucky you living in Whitford but I'm not so sure now. I probably can't add anything to those who have already posted but my mum has a house in the bush on Waiheke. I grew up on tank water from the roof and in those days we just drank it down and I don't remember ever having the roof washed. Now, however she has it professionally washed regularly (the roof that is). When there is heavy rain due they sometimes drain the tank empty and clean it out. If you feel like doing this now you can buy in water if you need it - you may be able to get the landlord to pay for it. Mum owns a rental (my gran's old house) and did this when the new people moved in. Get a price for the water - it might be cheaper filling the tank with new water than paying $300 for testing!! Delivered water is extracted from the local aquifer (which extends from the Hunuas to Waiheke) and is often hard compared to rainwater.

Regarding insects, she uses those automatic spray things you put on the wall which seems to work. You need fitted fly screens for the windows and any doors you leave open. If you windows are aluminium you can get magnetic ones that you take with you when you leave.

She doesn't seem to have problems with rodents - maybe get a cat? They are a risk to native birds though so consider that issue.

Last edited by jmh; Apr 11th 2014 at 7:49 am.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:55 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Is it a rental? Cos honestly the landlord should be sorting this out for you.

Also if you're near a reserve let your district council know. They are supposed to do pest control around parks/public land, waterways etc.

I'd ask for the full works from your pest man. Spiders, wasps, rats - everything!
Good luck!!
Yeah I agree with you about the landlord. They should be sorting it.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Update:

Landord has summoned a 'rat/bug guy' and he'll be popping out with a van of tricks.
I've also got some mozzie net for the bedroom window from day one Will now be putting that on other windows I leave open unattended.
Water has started to come through pretty normal now. I don't think I fully anticipated for just how long everything had been stood still for. We also just had a lovely top up of water with that rain
I've got one more bite to add to the collection but that was because I was stood on the deck all night talking to my neighbours with a beer so it's my own fault! I've not seen anything creepy crawling inside the house since I went a little postal with bug sprays etc and even the rats have culled the partying down...!