Reload this Page >

Countdown to our move!

Countdown to our move!

Old Oct 7th 2013, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Rachel_V is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Countdown to our move!

Hi everyone

My OH, 2 mini dachshunds & I will be arriving in Christchurch next week (we are settling in Alexandra in Central Otago coming from London). I am currently stressing about the trip my woofs have to endure & was hoping there were some lovely happy doggie stories anyone had? The dogs leave the UK next Monday flying with Air NZ through LA and we are using PetAir.

Thanks massively!!!
Old Oct 7th 2013, 10:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countdown to our move!

sorry not moved any animals over but lots of people have and most seem to not have any problems.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks MrsFychan! I am just after some other peoples experiences (hopefully reassurance!!). The woofs are a major part of the family - only thing I am really that concerned about at the moment!
Old Oct 7th 2013, 11:07 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Most people just go about the cost of moving said canines ! Other pets can be transported too, dependent on the relevant laws.

I understand pets arrive with no ill effect from their journey by air. Some people collect them quite quickly. Others are waiting around for hours at the pet collection point.

No doubt you are counting the minutes until you see yours again !
Old Oct 7th 2013, 11:22 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel_V
Thanks MrsFychan! I am just after some other peoples experiences (hopefully reassurance!!). The woofs are a major part of the family - only thing I am really that concerned about at the moment!
I can understand that, we initially had 2 dogs before we came over, unfortunately one was killed and we felt that at the age of 11 the other one was to old for all the fuss, also he suffered occasionally from fits. We in the end sourced a lovely retired couple to look after him and he is now having a very pampered life by the sea with 2 very doting owners.
Its not something you can avoid when bringing them and I'm guessing you did lots of research before deciding on who to use.
How far away is the care centre they are going to when they arrive. Will visiting them daily for the 2 weeks cause you problems?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice

Hi everyone

My OH, 2 mini dachshunds & I will be arriving in Christchurch next week (we are settling in Alexandra in Central Otago coming from London). I am currently stressing about the trip my woofs have to endure & was hoping there were some lovely happy doggie stories anyone had? The dogs leave the UK next Monday flying with Air NZ through LA and we are using PetAir.

Thanks massively!!!
Hi Rachel

Brought our dog over 6 years ago and had all the worries you did but he was absolutely fine so please don't worry! Back then we could collect them immediately, so I flew with him and we picked him up there and then. I understand they have to go into quarantine of some sort for 3 weeks now - is that right? Will be very interested to know how you get on in Alexandra - I have never been there but they seem to have the most enormous temperature range of any place in NZ! Really dry too which would be nice as it does rain a lot in NZ! London to Alexandra - very interesting mix. Hope you enjoy the quiet life although I believe the scenery is fabulous. Best of luck with your move and do not worry Air NZ is the best!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pothy
Hi Rachel

Brought our dog over 6 years ago and had all the worries you did but he was absolutely fine so please don't worry! Back then we could collect them immediately, so I flew with him and we picked him up there and then. I understand they have to go into quarantine of some sort for 3 weeks now - is that right? Will be very interested to know how you get on in Alexandra - I have never been there but they seem to have the most enormous temperature range of any place in NZ! Really dry too which would be nice as it does rain a lot in NZ! London to Alexandra - very interesting mix. Hope you enjoy the quiet life although I believe the scenery is fabulous. Best of luck with your move and do not worry Air NZ is the best!
Hi Pothy

Thank you so much for that! The woofs have 10 days quarantine which will be so hard possibly more on us than them! Will update once we get there - I grew up in Alex so for me it's just returning home but the OH is a true Londoner so will be an experience for him. We both desperately want a quieter life & less rain so looking forward to dry weather

PetAir have been great so far & I hear Air NZ is good but was interest for some peace of mind in other peoples experiences! Thank you again!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice

Hi Pothy

Thank you so much for that! The woofs have 10 days quarantine which will be so hard possibly more on us than them! Will update once we get there - I grew up in Alex so for me it's just returning home but the OH is a true Londoner so will be an experience for him. We both desperately want a quieter life & less rain so looking forward to dry weather

PetAir have been great so far & I hear Air NZ is good but was interest for some peace of mind in other peoples experiences! Thank you again!
Lets us know once they have landed! I love the look of Otago all that sky and open space but not ready for the quieter life just yet maybe when I retire. Looks pretty cold in the winter though! Welcome back and hope hubby loves NZ as much as you do. Good Luck
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, we brought 5 animals, 3 cats and 2 dogs. The cats found it harder than the dogs, but they were all well looked after and fine. Ours didn't have to go into quarantine so they were taken straight to our new home. The dogs were a bit strange for all of 30 seconds and then the tails were wagging and they were all over us. It was the most stressful bit for me, but they were fine, and they love all the exercise they now get here. The lack of 'muddy days' here is wonderful and makes exercising them so much more enjoyable. Hope your move goes really well.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britsinnz
Hi there, we brought 5 animals, 3 cats and 2 dogs. The cats found it harder than the dogs, but they were all well looked after and fine. Ours didn't have to go into quarantine so they were taken straight to our new home. The dogs were a bit strange for all of 30 seconds and then the tails were wagging and they were all over us. It was the most stressful bit for me, but they were fine, and they love all the exercise they now get here. The lack of 'muddy days' here is wonderful and makes exercising them so much more enjoyable. Hope your move goes really well.
Thanks Britsinnz! Yes such a stressful time!! So pleased everything is going well for you - definitely looking forward to fewer muddy days especially now winter is on the way over here!