British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Countdown checklist (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/countdown-checklist-765094/)

LornaBee Jul 15th 2012 8:17 pm

Countdown checklist

Hi there,
We are about to exchange on our house with a view to booking flights and being in Auckland mid aug and I just wonder if someone can answer some questions:-

1) do I need to bring a credit report or do i start from scratch over there;
2) what do I need for a mortgage do I need bank accounts/credit report/bank and mortgage references?
3) what about no claims letters do they may a difference?
4) how long do you need to be ain a job before you can apply for a mortgage 6 months?
5) any other documents that may be useful for renting or mortgages or anything else?
6) Car prices seem really high in comparison to the UK is that right as we are looking at shipping our car as UK value £1,000 = £4,000 in NZ

Many thanks in advance.
Lorna

MrsFychan Jul 15th 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Countdown checklist

Originally Posted by LornaBee (Post 10173991)
Hi there,
We are about to exchange on our house with a view to booking flights and being in Auckland mid aug and I just wonder if someone can answer some questions:-

1) do I need to bring a credit report or do i start from scratch over there; We didn't need anything
2) what do I need for a mortgage do I need bank accounts/credit report/bank and mortgage references? We just needed bank account here and 3mths wage slips
3) what about no claims letters do they may a difference? nope needed nothing
4) how long do you need to be ain a job before you can apply for a mortgage 6 months? husband had been in job for 2mths when he got written confirmation of offer but it was subject to providing evidence of deposit, deposit being $80K
5) any other documents that may be useful for renting or mortgages or anything else? not in our case
6) Car prices seem really high in comparison to the UK is that right as we are looking at shipping our car as UK value £1,000 = £4,000 in NZ We shipped ours as only added 400 sterling to shipping but then you have to pay $1500, if I remember rightly to get it cleared. also you need to think of cost of repairs on a UK car

Many thanks in advance. Your welcome :D
Lorna

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 17th 2012 5:26 am

Long time ago now so I'm not much use to you.

I must've gone native because from your title I thought you wanted an example of a shopping list from the local supermarket :lol: :o

crumpy10 Jul 18th 2012 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10176520)

I must've gone native because from your title I thought you wanted an example of a shopping list from the local supermarket :lol: :o

Ha ha! Me too, I was hoping to get some hints and tips!

Jan n Neil Jul 18th 2012 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10176520)

Me too :o

Neil

RobDon Jul 18th 2012 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 10179946)
Me too :o

Neil

+1 :o

BEVS Jul 18th 2012 9:35 pm

and me :D

sorry Lorna.

with the car thing , it may be worth starting a new topic/thread about this. We have some folk on here that have shipped or considered shipping their vehicles.

1) do I need to bring a credit report or do i start from scratch over there;
We brought our but no-one was interested.

2) what do I need for a mortgage do I need bank accounts/credit report/bank and mortgage references?
You'll need proof of your NZ earnings. They will want to know what deposit you have.

3) what about no claims letters do they may a difference?
I brought proof of ours but can't remember if it made a difference. I seem to think it did.

6) Car prices seem really high in comparison to the UK is that right as we are looking at shipping our car as UK value £1,000 = £4,000 in NZ
I think this would be better in a dedicated thread.

waikatoguy Jul 18th 2012 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by LornaBee (Post 10173991)

It might depend on the make of car you are wanting to buy. I was just looking on the UK Auto Trader site, and it seems a 2002 Toyota Camry 2L GL is selling there for about 2500-3000 pounds, or $5000 - $6000 NZ. I think here they are selling for $7000 - $8000, less or more depending on condition. There are some on trademe for as low as $3000, but I wouldn't hold out much hope in terms of condition. Whereas, if you are wanting to buy a European or British car here, you may notice more of a difference in terms of price.

waikatoguy Jul 18th 2012 11:15 pm

As far as Toyota new cars go, was looking up prices and it seems a new RAV4 sells for 24,340 pounds ($48,000) in GB, and for $41,990 in NZ. So new Toyotas appear to be cheaper in NZ (unless I was doing something wrong with the models).

Jan n Neil Jul 19th 2012 5:22 am

UK dealers will heavily discount that is just the list price also NZ dealers will charge about 12% on finance some are as high as 19 :thumbdown:

Neil