Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Counsellor/Psychotherapy jobs for single Mum in NZ...please advise :-)

Counsellor/Psychotherapy jobs for single Mum in NZ...please advise :-)

Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

amylou82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Counsellor/Psychotherapy jobs for single Mum in NZ...please advise :-)

I've been thinking about making the move Down Under for some time now. I love the lifestyle it has to offer! I'm currently studying as a mature student and will qualify as a Counsellor/psychotherapist in June 2013. I then intend to complete a Masters degree while waiting for visa application to be accepted.

I'm wondering if anyone out there can offer me some advice on looking for jobs in my field? Also I have a son, now aged 8 and would need to have peace of mind he was going to be settled into a good school. I have no idea which area to consider moving to though would prefer not to live in a city.

Please help
Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:57 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Counsellor/Psychotherapy jobs for single Mum in NZ...please advise :-)

Hello
Try looking at Seek.com and Trademe for jobs to start with. Are there any professional societies in NZ that may be able to help you? As for areas to move to, this will probably depend more on where/if you get a job offer rather than you having a choice, sorry.

Have you looked at the visa options yet, you will probably need a job offer to get a visa as it is likely you won't have enough points without one to apply as a skilled migrant/residency. The other visas that could be available to you will require a job offer in place before you can apply for them.
Unfortunately the lack of experience is likely to be a problem with regards to getting a job offer.

You will need to gain written/legal permission from your son's father to emigrate with your son. NZIS will need proof of this. Obviously this may or may not apply depending on circumstances
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:02 am
Just Joined

amylou82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Counsellor/Psychotherapy jobs for single Mum in NZ...please advise :-)

Thank you for this. I have taken your advice and found the NZ professional body for counselling and psychotherapy with gives me lots of info. Also had a look for jobs which I could apply for and there seems to be a fair few of them so that's great too.
Do you have any experience of rental agencies in NZ? As I would be looking to rent a property until I find my feet. :-)
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:48 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amylou82
Do you have any experience of rental agencies in NZ? As I would be looking to rent a property until I find my feet. :-)
acc

Trademe.co.nz is where you can look for jobs as well as accommodation, ebay type section for purchasing things.
Open2view is a real estate site
Google rental properties in the area you are looking at and that will list the private run property agents
Mr Rental for rental of household needs.