Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

COULD YOU MANAGE ON $36000nzd In NEW ZEALAND WITH A YOUNG FAMILY?

COULD YOU MANAGE ON $36000nzd In NEW ZEALAND WITH A YOUNG FAMILY?

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:36 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COULD YOU MANAGE ON $36000nzd In NEW ZEALAND WITH A YOUNG FAMILY?

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Don, would you be a sweetie and explain this for me...are you safe from a points hike from when your EOI is selected or from when you have submitted your ITA for approval...cheers mate
Seeings as Don can't answer this for me coz he's been a naughty boy, do any of you know at what stage your points become safe...is it from EOI selection or is it from when you hand in your ITA?? I presume it's from when you hand in your ITA but does anyone know for sure??
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:39 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Seeings as Don can't answer this for me coz he's been a naughty boy, do any of you know at what stage your points become safe...is it from EOI selection or is it from when you hand in your ITA?? I presume it's from when you hand in your ITA but does anyone know for sure??

Yes, somebody tell us please! Put us all out of our misery!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:58 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Yes, somebody tell us please! Put us all out of our misery!
Had to find out Jan!!! The suspense was killing me!!! This is the extract from the NZIS operations manual which I think answers the question of "at which point are we safe from a points rise"!! I've highlighted the relevant section...

SM4.5 Approval of applications under the Skilled Migrant Category

See SM4.5 Effective 17/12/2003
  1. Principal applicants* under the Skilled Migrant Category are assessed against:
    1. health, character and English language requirements; and employability and capacity building requirements; and
    2. settlement and contribution requirements.
    An application under the Skilled Migrant Category will be approved if:
    1. the principal applicant* and family members included in the application meet health and character, and English language requirements where required; and the principal applicant's* total points for employability and capacity building factors meets or exceeds the selection point at the date their Expression of Interest was selected from the Pool

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jun 22nd 2005 at 2:03 pm.
    Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:06 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Had to find out Jan!!! The suspense was killing me!!! This is the extract from the NZIS operations manual which I think answers the question of "at which point are we safe from a points rise"!! I've highlighted the relevant section...

SM4.5 Approval of applications under the Skilled Migrant Category

See SM4.5 Effective 17/12/2003
    1. Principal applicants* under the Skilled Migrant Category are assessed against:
      1. health, character and English language requirements; and employability and capacity building requirements; and
      2. settlement and contribution requirements.
      An application under the Skilled Migrant Category will be approved if:
      1. the principal applicant* and family members included in the application meet health and character, and English language requirements where required; and the principal applicant's* total points for employability and capacity building factors meets or exceeds the selection point at the date their Expression of Interest was selected from the Pool
      Looks good to me, I couldn't find the info on the website, I lost patience with how long it takes to load. Thanks Caroline!
      Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:11 pm
      Don't let me get me....

Originally Posted by bookemjano
      Looks good to me, I couldn't find the info on the website, I lost patience with how long it takes to load. Thanks Caroline!
      I never even bothered looking on the website at first this time although it's usually the first place I go for info on visas etc when anyone else has a query!!

Couldn't stand the suspense so thought I would have a gander today....If I wasn't such a lazy trout I could have put us both out of our misery yesterday!!!

You're welcome Jan btw....
      Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:24 pm
      Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
      Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

I would say that's right, Pinkie. Thanks for that.

Jano, you must be so excited and nervous, good luck, hopefully we won't be too far behind you..... Had my friend over this afternoon, her son moved to NZ three years ago and got married there in December. All the family went and she has fallen in love with NZ too. Just makes me feel more ready to go when I listen to her talk about what it's like. Hope OH's company get back in touch soon!

Debbie
      Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:43 pm
      Don't let me get me....

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
      Got me in a mild panic now!!!! OH is waiting to hear from where he works as they have offices in NZ (we don't know which areas or whether they will let him transfer yet). We were going to submit EOI, we estimate 110/115 points, but were waiting to see if he could transfer as would get more points. Hope the scoring doesn't go up before we get an answer incase it's no....agh!

Debbie
      Debbie, just noticed this post...if you have enough points anyway without the transfer why not submit now while you're waiting to hear (you only need to score 100 in order to be able to submit)....you can always edit and resubmit up until selection and even after selection if you are offered ITA you just let them know there's been a change in circumstances...go on!!!
      Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:46 pm
      Don't let me get me....

Originally Posted by ranbysue
      Hello To All

My husband has to let the NZ corrections know tonight whether ot not he will take the job.

I will let you know our decision as soon as we have made it.

Suze x
      Well, Suze, what did you decide - yes or no???

Been hanging in suspense since you posted this on the 19th June and can't wait any longer!!!

Spill the beans girl...
      Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:49 pm
      Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
      Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Debbie, just noticed this post...if you have enough points anyway without the transfer why not submit now while you're waiting to hear (you only need to score 100 in order to be able to submit)....you can always edit and resubmit up until selection and even after selection if you are offered ITA you just let them know there's been a change in circumstances...go on!!!
      Yes we have decided to go ahead and are going to submit this weekend! It all starts now! Will let you know when we have done the deed. Thanks for the advice.

Debbie
      Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:50 pm
      Don't let me get me....

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
      Yes we have decided to go ahead and are going to submit this weekend! It all starts now! Will let you know when we have done the deed. Thanks for the advice.

Debbie
      Woohoo...good luck Debbie....
      Old Jun 25th 2005, 11:39 am
      Just Joined

its grim up north will become famous soon enoughits grim up north will become famous soon enough

getting back to the original thread you have more chance of pulling the qe2 out of dry dock with a rope than getting bye on 36g best of luck
      Old Jun 25th 2005, 12:19 pm
      Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by its grim up north
      getting back to the original thread you have more chance of pulling the qe2 out of dry dock with a rope than getting bye on 36g best of luck
      Thanks for your informative posts Mr Up North. Suggest you stay there.
      Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:15 pm
      Forum Regular

davepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Biddy
      Thanks for your informative posts Mr Up North. Suggest you stay there.
      i think the cost of living is subjective, obvious as it sounds. for example in dorset UK, i cant afford to go on overseas holidays, rent or mortgage, run a car and have spending money on a single nurses wage unless i work 50 hour weeks. so in new zealand i hope things will be better, if not doesnt matter at least i will be in different surroundings.

Would rather spend my days tramping in the mountains or kayaking in the sea than spending money on expensive food and drink on nights out in the UK.

Will also be able to get a mortgage for a reasonable decent place to live. In the uk i can only get a mortgage for about 75K-100K not many places around here to buy for that amount. In NZ can get a mortgage for 150K NZD which will buy a decent place, so i think it will be all better than here

dave
      Old Jun 27th 2005, 6:36 am
      BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davepoole

Will also be able to get a mortgage for a reasonable decent place to live. In the uk i can only get a mortgage for about 75K-100K not many places around here to buy for that amount. In NZ can get a mortgage for 150K NZD which will buy a decent place, so i think it will be all better than here

dave

Hello
      Be careful, $150,000 doesn't buy a great deal, particularly not Wellington.

Gill
      Old Jun 27th 2005, 6:55 am
      BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by davepoole
      i think the cost of living is subjective, obvious as it sounds. for example in dorset UK, i cant afford to go on overseas holidays, rent or mortgage, run a car and have spending money on a single nurses wage unless i work 50 hour weeks. so in new zealand i hope things will be better, if not doesnt matter at least i will be in different surroundings.

Would rather spend my days tramping in the mountains or kayaking in the sea than spending money on expensive food and drink on nights out in the UK.

dave
      Sorry but 150 is NOT going to find you somewhere 'decent' to live!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.