Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

COULD YOU MANAGE ON $36000nzd In NEW ZEALAND WITH A YOUNG FAMILY?

COULD YOU MANAGE ON $36000nzd In NEW ZEALAND WITH A YOUNG FAMILY?

Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:08 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: COULD YOU MANAGE ON $36000nzd In NEW ZEALAND WITH A YOUNG FAMILY?

Originally Posted by nivlem
Nope! :scared: never even been to the place! Just decided to stop talking about it and get on with it!

Brilliant! My family's not the only mad ones then, very reassuring!

Are you on the shortages list though, we're not even on that. We're applying with 100 points.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:00 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookemjano

Are you on the shortages list though, we're not even on that. We're applying with 100 points.
Get your EOI in quickly (if you haven't already) as I'd imagine the points level going up soon.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:02 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biddy
Get your EOI in quickly (if you haven't already) as I'd imagine the points level going up soon.
I doubt it, as NZIS are already failing to find as many migrants as quota requires.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:17 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
I doubt it, as NZIS are already failing to find as many migrants as quota requires.
I thought the years intake had already been achieved?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:33 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Is Applications on Hand the Pool, or does it mean apps being assessed before ITA?

Last edited by Sue; Jun 21st 2005 at 1:04 pm. Reason: Possible infringement of copyright
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:35 am
Don
Banned

Is Applications on Hand the Pool, or does it mean apps being assessed before ITA?
From lodgement.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:38 am
Don
Banned

Here's the link so that you can read the whole factsheet New Zealand Immigration Programme Fact Sheet - 8 June 2005
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Don
From lodgement.
30 days of no booze Don - I myself would never manage it and take my hat off to oyu to even get by 10 days!! I have a pact to myself to only drink 2 nights a week and that hard enough to keep!! Well done that man - but why??
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of

Yes Mel is a toolmaker and is on the shortages list, but we only have 5 more points than you! You'll be fine! If they let us in, they'll let anybody in!
Whereabouts in Manchester are you?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by nivlem
Yes Mel is a toolmaker and is on the shortages list, but we only have 5 more points than you! You'll be fine! If they let us in, they'll let anybody in!
Whereabouts in Manchester are you?

Droylsden. Not a bad place to live, neighbours are all lovely. Selling up to move to NZ though, and if it they don't accept us we'll buy again in Droylsden, but a nicer house.

Where are you?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Droylsden. Not a bad place to live, neighbours are all lovely. Selling up to move to NZ though, and if it they don't accept us we'll buy again in Droylsden, but a nicer house.

Where are you?
My Sister in Law applied with only 100 points and she got in - she's here in AKL now - she applied once she got here though as she came over on a work permit and then decided to stay. You'll be fine.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:36 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
My Sister in Law applied with only 100 points and she got in - she's here in AKL now - she applied once she got here though as she came over on a work permit and then decided to stay. You'll be fine.
Got me in a mild panic now!!!! OH is waiting to hear from where he works as they have offices in NZ (we don't know which areas or whether they will let him transfer yet). We were going to submit EOI, we estimate 110/115 points, but were waiting to see if he could transfer as would get more points. Hope the scoring doesn't go up before we get an answer incase it's no....agh!

Debbie
Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:19 pm
Don
Banned

I'm very surprised my posts linking new immigration developments to NZ Immigration are being deleted for possible copyright reasons.

Have you had any indication there is a problem?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:36 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
From lodgement.
Don, would you be a sweetie and explain this for me...are you safe from a points hike from when your EOI is selected or from when you have submitted your ITA for approval...cheers mate
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:01 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Firstly - Thank you to everybody for all of your replies on this thread they are very much appreciated.

My husband asks me every day if I am any nearer to making my decision as he really wants to make the move. He is very disillusioned with UK and its downwards slide. We worry what it will be like here in 20 years time for our children.

It was my idea for him to apply for the NZ prison service in the first place when I saw the add (thinking $36000 would be a wonderful salary), what I didn't think about was the exchange rate and its equivalent in stirling!!

From what I can gather we will not be able to survive on one income alone or maybe only just on two incomes. To answer some of your questions that you asked here is a run down on what we do now and what we or should I say "I" would like to still do if we made the move to Hamilton, NZ.

What we do now

Sons - Football training and matches (good at all sports but in particular very good at football)

Swimming lessons and swimming club for both children, athletics x 2 twice a week.

Sons - Golfing Lesson and tennis x 1

Daughter - Ballet, Tap and modern dancing and also Brownies

As a family we eat out once a week ( so not alot spent here)

We run one car and have a smallish mortgage

Live in nice town but can see crime getting worse and criminal generally go untouched by law and the criminals know it

Go on weekends away three times a year and holiday in europe once a year.

Have lots of convenience stores and large shopping malls nearby.

Things I would like to continue

All of the above for the children but is football in NZ popular?

Like to drive a car and be able to change it every 3 yrs or so

would probably bring £150000 to NZ so would expect to be mortgage free but would like a three bedroomed house preferably a new one with en suite bathroom and gas central heating like I have here ( I know NZ don't really have central heating)

Could not grow vegetables as no good at it.

Would like convenience of supermarkets like Tesco but would have to for go this maybe.

Would be living in or around Hamilton

Would like to be able to afford to come home to UK once every 3 yrs and also go on holidays like OZ once a year

I am currently in banking part time and also work part time in a prison as a lecturer in social and life skills for which I am quite well paid. Would be looking to go into this type of work if I went to NZ (Prison Lecturing that is) but have to say that I haven't seen much about this anywhere on the websites, which is worrying!

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK THEN!

Are we a good or bad bet for survival?
1. Football is popular - I coach my son's team, and there are dozens of games on every saturday in our small town.

2. Cars are cheap here, and insurance, registration (road tax) and other vehicle running costs are a lot lower than the UK.

3. In Te Awamutu, you should be able to get a good 3-4 bedroom house and be mortgage-free. Check out open2view.com. If it doesn't have central heating, it is not all that expensive to have it installed and there are lots of different systems to choose from, from heat pumps to under-carpet electric systems. In Hamilton, expect prices to be a bit higher (possibly a lot higher).

4. Lots of market gardens for those without green thumbs, and cheap too.

5. Te Awamutu will have a supermarket, but for a bigger one, head to Hamilton where they have ones the size of a large Asda (and probably open 24 hours too).

6. Holidays to the UK will be expensive, but really cheap to go to Oz.

7. lecturing on prison-related stuff would probably come under diploma studies at a polytech, although having said that, Hamilton does have a big university and I imagine there will be a criminology department in the Sociology school. If not, there are other avenues - I have a friend in this field, I'll ask.

You are a good bet for survival if you can adapt. That is always the key to successfully changing countries. If you can't get by without the familiar British things, you will probably end up miserable!

Give it a go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.