Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Could you handle it ???

Could you handle it ???

Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could you handle it ???

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Britain is beautiful as long as you're a visitor!
Frankly I feel that way about New Zealand.[/QUOTE]

I think lots of people think like that about NZ. I do feel like that about the UK. In the perfect world I would spend every Dec and Jan in UK and then return home for the real summer! I am happy and content to be here for now. Especially as I hear the Oz is not quite the powerhouse of economics that I thought it was.

Life just seems to be getting more and more fluid. When you think there is a constant in life (like the success of Oz) the weather robs it from you!!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:02 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Poole all my life till i was 38 and left in 05 , yes it was and still is a beautiful part of the UK to live in , BTBH it was a very expensive place to live , i used to roof multi million pound houses in Sandbanks and surrounding areas , and just about every one we met , was trying to keep up with the Jones's , X5 BMW were every where , the attitude was , how big was your house, what car did you drive, how expensive is your watch , all that B****** ect ect , and TBH thats why we left the place, came out for a simpler way of life, and we found it , not sure we would have found the same style up in Auckland or Wellyington as we did not want to come here and end up killing ourselves just to live .

Im just thinking could we return to UK and achieve what we have done here ? Not sure with the way the economy is in UK and Poole is still expensive place to live and work .
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
I lived in Poole all my life till i was 38 and left in 05 , yes it was and still is a beautiful part of the UK to live in , BTBH it was a very expensive place to live , i used to roof multi million pound houses in Sandbanks and surrounding areas , and just about every one we met , was trying to keep up with the Jones's , X5 BMW were every where , the attitude was , how big was your house, what car did you drive, how expensive is your watch , all that B****** ect ect , and TBH thats why we left the place, came out for a simpler way of life, and we found it , not sure we would have found the same style up in Auckland or Wellyington as we did not want to come here and end up killing ourselves just to live .

Im just thinking could we return to UK and achieve what we have done here ? Not sure with the way the economy is in UK and Poole is still expensive place to live and work .
No way in a million years could we emulate in the UK the life we have here. For now and until desperate the Uk is a hol. destination only. Especially as the only places I want to live it appears I will be a pariah along with anyone else without a silly accent.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 12:29 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I would have no problems with moving back to the UK if circumstances changed here. I suppose it partly depends on the reasons for emigrating. I didn't come here because of any dissatisfaction with the UK or my life there but rather to take a chance on a different direction in my life.
So far I am happy with my decision, if circumstances changed then I may return. But then who really knows until that situation arises?

Anyway I'm thinking of visiting the UK next year and it will be interesting to see whether or how much the place has changed.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Id guess i wouldn't have a problem with a move back to my lifestyle ive only just left at the moment..In a few years when it all goes Pete tong there then maybe yeah..
Its all still new to me here as we speak, just hope the novalty doesn't wear off too quick eh..
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wessa
Id guess i wouldn't have a problem with a move back to my lifestyle ive only just left at the moment..In a few years when it all goes Pete tong there then maybe yeah..
Its all still new to me here as we speak, just hope the novalty doesn't wear off too quick eh..
I still think it is all a bit new after 6 years!! I am amazed sometimes how I see how my life has changed, not all for the better in some psychological & more tangible ways. But lots about life is good here..REALLY good and I have never ever regreted shipping out of the UK even in the really dark and tricky times since being here.

I did leave the Uk because I was totally pissed off with just about everything about my UK life, I have no problems admitting that. The life here in Palmy that we have carved out is so removed from what we left behind its untrue. Ergo I guess the whole thing has been a dizzy success so far.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:10 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I think i could, though it would break my heart to leave here I have been back to the uk twice in the last couple of years ( lucky enough that parents pay for me to fly back so that I can see dad who can no longer do the flight) I also have a lot of friends back there who I haven't lost touch with at all. However I could no longer live in a city, it would have to be somewhere rural, or at least a bit out of the city.
We've had all our dogs rabies vaccinated and pet passported in case this ever arose - hoping it never would but realising it would be money well spent if it ever happened.

I was only back a few weeks ago, and was amazed at how I just slotted back into life there so easily. Ok I was living at my parents which would not be the case if we really had to move back, but yes, I think we'd be fine. We were very happy there before.

to quote woodlea
You have to live there to appreciate it - constant and open, even in the media, doesn't matter about your ancestry, mine was Scottish if you don't have the accent and join the "I hate England club" you are the enemy! Even with intelligent, professional people, very strange...
this is really sad. I'm Scottish but certainly dont hate England and the English - I married one and I'm definitely not seen as an enemy when I go back. Does this depend on where you are and who your 'friends' are I've never experienced this in my life. Terrible shame it happens in places

Now I'd just have to find a shipping company that would take chickens, alpacas and donkeys! Oh and the money to ship them all
But no, it's not on the cards to move back but if it was a necessity for some reason we'd make it work, as you do.

Last edited by pixi-dust; Jun 2nd 2011 at 2:16 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Does this depend on where you are and who your 'friends' are
Probably. Friends were fine. Racism was from people in public once they heard your accent or in the workplace.

Not everyone of course, some people were wonderful.

I had friends from Peterhead who lived in Southampton for 20 years but moved back to Peterhead when they retired, they couldn't believe how it had changed and it was never like that before, they blamed devolution.

I went to the British Legion once and was told not to come back with my accent! Amazing.

Like Genesis says you develop thick skin and can laugh it off - I just didn't want my kids growing up with that attitude....
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

That is a shocking experience you have had. We are a Scottish family with friends from many different parts of the world and I find it intolerable when narrow minded fools discriminate ~ it's what's inside that's important. I guess some people just don't see the bigger picture. Rant over!
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I could definitely handle it but I'm not sure the OH would. I'd have to live near the sea though.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:43 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't think of anything worse! But then I guess if I was going to voluntarily return to the UK I would have done so last year upon splitting up with the husband. It was the farthest thought from my mind, I think because I have such a strong, wonderful support network here now.

If circumstances were beyond my control and I had to return I would not go back to Cornwall where I'd lived prior to the move, but I would go back to London I think. I visited last year very briefly and I would chose to be there with friends and family rather than in the sticks. And if you want racism in the UK I suggest you look at some of the Cornish for starters!

But I wouldn't last long, I'd be off looking to another far flung land I think.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
And if you want racism in the UK I suggest you look at some of the Cornish for starters!
Yes some are, my ex b-i-l was from Millbrook, a stone's throw from Plymouth and hated the English - weirdo!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Yes some are, my ex b-i-l was from Millbrook, a stone's throw from Plymouth and hated the English - weirdo!
Haha - I had a holiday romance with someone from Millbrook when I was 15. Ah, the memories!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Britain is beautiful as long as you're a visitor!
Frankly I feel that way about New Zealand.
Having lived for too long, I have to say NZ is a place to visit, not live.
Of course it will suit some people, but I do wonder what they are escaping and what careers they are emigrating to.

No way would I come here again, I cant think of one good point to make me do it, and I have a decent house here and a pretty well paid job by kiwi standards.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

'And if you want racism in the UK I suggest you look at some of the Cornish for starters'

Ha too true especially if you are not second generation of more Cornish let alone have lived in Devon!

I could and would but where I am not sure.OH would move tomorrow but jobs are hard to get and do not have the savings anymore to sustain a long period of unemployment!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.