Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Could you handle it ???

Could you handle it ???

Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:48 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Could you handle it ???

Had a thought the other day , whilst sat in the sun i heard an old tune on the radio that reminded me of the 90s in UK and my mind drifted back , and i thought ? what would we do if we had to go back ? , and TBH i would seriously miss this place , and realising how far away we would be from NZ and could we afford to go back for a holiday ? It would be so depressing , could we find work again, could we afford to buy a decent house again, GOD would we have to live in a shite area arrghhh Could you be as resourceful as you have had to be in NZ ? I know we have all lived there before , but could you handle it ???

I think if we had to , we would look to move somewhere else than Poole , maybe in the countryside as we do here , im not sure what work i would look for either Strange what tricks the mind plays on you ?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could you handle it ???

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Had a thought the other day , whilst sat in the sun i heard an old tune on the radio that reminded me of the 90s in UK and my mind drifted back , and i thought ? what would we do if we had to go back ? , and TBH i would seriously miss this place , and realising how far away we would be from NZ and could we afford to go back for a holiday ? It would be so depressing , could we find work again, could we afford to buy a decent house again, GOD would we have to live in a shite area arrghhh Could you be as resourceful as you have had to be in NZ ? I know we have all lived there before , but could you handle it ???

I think if we had to , we would look to move somewhere else than Poole , maybe in the countryside as we do here , im not sure what work i would look for either Strange what tricks the mind plays on you ?
I am sure I could make a go of it. I would chose an area where housing was reasonable and where population was low. So I guess I would look at Wales or Scotland or Eire. Surroundings do have an influence on your well being so I would need to be in a low populated, rural area. I am sure I could find somewhere in the UK or Eire that I could make a new start. In fact I would relish the challenge. If the dollar goes to total parity with the GBP I may well jump ship!!! I hope the rest of the family will come with me.

Last edited by Genesis; Jun 1st 2011 at 5:13 am.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:16 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go live somewhere else in the world. I left the UK in 2001, with a one way ticket to Bangkok, determined never to come back and took three years to end up in NZ.

If I for some reason had to setup shop in the UK, well I would cross that bridge when it came and use all the "can do attitude" I developed here, to become the Prime Minster.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish

Poole? Cant be one of the worst areas in UK surely. Dorset is a top county, one I could live in, given a decent job of course. Id be there 100 times rather than Dunedin.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:37 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Poole? Cant be one of the worst areas in UK surely. Dorset is a top county, one I could live in, given a decent job of course. Id be there 100 times rather than Dunedin.
Just out of interest why Dorset over Dunedin?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

What a great thread! Really interesting to think about what you would miss about NZ in comparison to UK, there certainly sounds like there is a lot to appreciate in NZ. I'm not a "looking back" person, never been to NZ before but am determined to make a real go of it and home is where the heart is, after all!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Just out of interest why Dorset over Dunedin?
Why? Every time Ive been to Dorset I love it!
Weather better than Dunedin for a start.
Bournemouth, Poole. Shaftesbury, Dorchester, West Bay, Weymouth , oh the memories.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:40 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

The average mean for Dunedin is 11C and Dorset 9.8-12C but Dorset has a more average span with less cold and not so hot so yes if I had to stay in the UK it is the only county I could consider with a lower population than most areas and hence less road and rail noise. But with no work and rising property prices..........
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Just after the latest ChCh earthquake I was headhunted for a job back in the UK. I was in the middle of eq recovery and quite worried about the future of my employer and my staff, so I started the application process. I did note that the salary was what I am on now in NZ and the cost of living is higher in the UK if you factor in tax rates and the cost of equivalent size houses.....

So I did apply for the UK job but not wholeheartedly, really. Then I got really upset about the thought of leaving our lovely home here, and my dogs who have to go into quarantine, and the empty roads and the clear air and garden, and I was very happy indeed when they didn't shortlist me on the basis of my minimal attempt to apply. I guess my heart wasn't in it and it answered a lot of questions for me about my personal commitment to NZ and ChCh, even post two earthquakes

Jan

Last edited by Jan n Neil; Jun 1st 2011 at 10:34 am.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

We'd all live in Dorset if we could but we couldn't afford it, very expensive.

Genesis, after living in the NE of Scotland for 15 years I can tell you that as a Pom the overt racism would get to you eventually. To start with you can live with the anti-englishness but over time it wears you down. The same would be true in Wales and Eire (where's Eire? - do you mean Ireland?).

To answer the OP, no I couldn't handle it. It may be easy to criticise our government, but at least they are our government and not the rest of Europe governing us. At least we have a choice.

And I can handle shorts and Tees on 1st June (December) in NZ in stead of woolly hats on 1st of June in bonnie Scotland!

Britain is beautiful as long as you're a visitor!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
We'd all live in Dorset if we could but we couldn't afford it, very expensive.

Genesis, after living in the NE of Scotland for 15 years I can tell you that as a Pom the overt racism would get to you eventually. To start with you can live with the anti-englishness but over time it wears you down. The same would be true in Wales and Eire (where's Eire? - do you mean Ireland?).

To answer the OP, no I couldn't handle it. It may be easy to criticise our government, but at least they are our government and not the rest of Europe governing us. At least we have a choice.

And I can handle shorts and Tees on 1st June (December) in NZ in stead of woolly hats on 1st of June in bonnie Scotland!

Britain is beautiful as long as you're a visitor!
What racism within the 'united kingdom'? And I could easily get over the turds in the letter box by sealing it up. Yes Eire is Ireland, apparently there's parts of it there too I would be hated inspite of being half irish.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
What racism within the 'united kingdom'? And I could easily get over the turds in the letter box by sealing it up. Yes Eire is Ireland, apparently there's parts of it there too I would be hated inspite of being half irish.

You have to live there to appreciate it - constant and open, even in the media, doesn't matter about your ancestry, mine was Scottish if you don't have the accent and join the "I hate England club" you are the enemy! Even with intelligent, professional people, very strange...
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Woodlea
You have to live there to appreciate it - constant and open, even in the media, doesn't matter about your ancestry, mine was Scottish if you don't have the accent and join the "I hate England club" you are the enemy! Even with intelligent, professional people, very strange...
Time for a rethink then eh?? You know I blame the parents. I make a specific point of teaching my young kids about inclusion and acceptance of all humans..except evil nasty ones who feed on violence and hatred of course. We have already had the gay chat about how it matters not a jot about their sexuality its what is in their hearts. We talk about who they bring home..race, creed, sexuality not being an issue.

So long as they are kind, caring and love our children and are not overtly religious (any denomination I might add) we care not who they chose to be with.

Obviously gang members, drug addicts and criminals need not apply. I want what is best for my kids and called me narrow minded the letter 3 will not IMO enrich my kids live's!! We have an 'anti fervent religious' mindset as I have seen what it does in my family..very ugly. Lots of fear, guilt and self thrashing.

The more parents teach the above the quicker we will rid our lives of this pathetic attitude of hating other reasonable, law abiding humans just because 'they are not one of us'.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Britain is beautiful as long as you're a visitor![/QUOTE]

Frankly I feel that way about New Zealand.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Just after the latest ChCh earthquake I was headhunted for a job back in the UK. I was in the middle of eq recovery and quite worried about the future of my employer and my staff, so I started the application process. I did note that the salary was what I am on now in NZ and the cost of living is higher in the UK if you factor in tax rates and the cost of equivalent size houses.....

So I did apply for the UK job but not wholeheartedly, really. Then I got really upset about the thought of leaving our lovely home here, and my dogs who have to go into quarantine, and the empty roads and the clear air and garden, and I was very happy indeed when they didn't shortlist me on the basis of my minimal attempt to apply. I guess my heart wasn't in it and it answered a lot of questions for me about my personal commitment to NZ and ChCh, even post two earthquakes

Jan
Well, you're sorted then aren't you ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.