Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Could be a good forum but

Could be a good forum but

Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

mmso2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could be a good forum but

It was my belief that forums like this were places that people could come to in order to discuss there lives in New Zealand. Share experiences and offer friendly words of advice.

It would seem to me that this forum has been hijacked and turned into childrens squabble area by people who have nothing better to do with there time.

I wonder how many people come to this forum read the posts and move straight on.

I seriously believe that the moderators would be better off banning the minority that seem to be ruining this forum for normal people who really do want to contribute something to the community at large. I have to say the same names come up all the time.

I have no objection to negative or positive comments being made in a constructive way but turning it into a shouting match is wasting everyones
time and ruining what should be a helpful and informative forum.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:00 pm
Banned

Binliner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Could be a good forum but

A very odd first post for a 'newbie'....
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

mmso2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Binliner View Post
A very odd first post for a 'newbie'....
You wont have read the deleted post by Pascair
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:31 pm
Banned

Binliner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mmso2003 View Post
No. What did it say?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a very good poignant post. I could be one of those who you may wish to see banned. I have had a few spats in the last 24 hours with a some other posters.

I like to think I have a balanced view on things, NZ has worked for me inspite of MANY problems I have encountered since April 2005.

I understand that NZ has many problems, is way from perfect and many seek better lives after having been here a while because for many fold reasons NZ irks them.

No problem with that. I can see lots of good and lots of bad in NZ. It is not perfect. The problems begin when sweeping statement are made about races and insensitive things are said about people and their families.

Negative posting of a constructive and non personal nature has ALWAYS been welcome by most people. I have done a thread on positive v negative in the past.

I hace also suggested to those thinking of NZ to add Oz to their equation..would it suit them better?

I am not protective of NZ I just like it. Some hate it.

Think carefully before you come aye?? I know the only way to get a handle on it is by doing it but look at the reasons NZ does not did not work for people..are they applicable to you and your situation??

Good luck.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post

Think carefully before you come aye?? I know the only way to get a handle on it is by doing it but look at the reasons NZ does not did not work for people..are they applicable to you and your situation??

Good luck.
What a bloody good conclusion! This is exactly what I've been trying to get across. I don't hate NZ, I don't hate those who live in NZ, I just don't want to be here. I have had some hiccups here when we first arrived, admittedly trivial now but not at the time, and received some fantastic help/advice to get me through.

Can we all just agree to go back to being those helpful people who only want to get their point across in a constructive manner...?!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:26 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

We should remember that even if there was some sort of consensus on what the pros and cons of living in NZ were, it is still a personal thing whether they affect you or not, and whether on balance the move will be positive, negative, or same old s**t.

For example, having great scenery really can be a great big positive for some people in some circumstances. Just as lack of buzz can be a real downer for others. Or one person might experience both of those factors.

So if I was to give any advice to newer posters it would be to try to understand what people are trying to say, where they are coming from, and to the extent possible get behind the outright rose tintedness/bitterness and find the stuff that is relevant to you. Or even simpler, just ask!

I agree that the forum is not a very constructive place at this particular moment. Its all got a bit tribal and has got to the extreme situation in the last day where the mods have had to draft the pros and antis onto different threads.

But lets not forget, this kind of thing has happenened numerous times before and always fizzles out into relative peace. My experience is that a few people put each other on ignore, maybe one or two retire (gracefully or otherwise), something more interesting comes along to be posted about and things just calm down.

Maybe we should have a 48 hour new-thread-athon, with a poll at the end to vote for the most varied/interesting list of threads introduced by one user. Maybe its a silly idea.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

It was my belief that forums like this were places that people could come to in order to discuss there lives in New Zealand. Share experiences and offer friendly words of advice.

It would seem to me that this forum has been hijacked and turned into childrens squabble area by people who have nothing better to do with there time.

I wonder how many people come to this forum read the posts and move straight on.

I seriously believe that the moderators would be better off banning the minority that seem to be ruining this forum for normal people who really do want to contribute something to the community at large. I have to say the same names come up all the time.

I have no objection to negative or positive comments being made in a constructive way but turning it into a shouting match is wasting everyones
time and ruining what should be a helpful and informative forum.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

I know if I'd have been guided by this forum I would never have come here. I'm glad to say I wasn't and OH and I have no regrets. I know we are relatively new to NZ but we are loving it so far. We all came out here for different reasons and we will all come to different conclusions about NZ. Nevertheless we should accept that it works for some and not for others and not question the opinion of those who are giving advice to the best of their knowledge.

There are some very helpful people on this forum and I thank all those who have given us very useful information.

So come on guys, lets be helpful and use those constructive points and not see the moderators interaction on each new thread.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Can we all just agree to go back to being those helpful people who only want to get their point across in a constructive manner...?![/QUOTE]

Totally, utterly YES.

One hopes peace will prevail M.

xx
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Can we all just agree to go back to being those helpful people who only want to get their point across in a constructive manner...?!

Totally, utterly YES.

One hopes peace will prevail M.

xx[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Hoo-bloody-rah!

I'm off on my jollies this arvo and the 3 yr old has decided she wants to throw a spanner in and have an ear infection! Dr says she should be ok to fly, just got to try and get on the plane with the antibiotics
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Jude.J is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl View Post
Hoo-bloody-rah!

I'm off on my jollies this arvo and the 3 yr old has decided she wants to throw a spanner in and have an ear infection! Dr says she should be ok to fly, just got to try and get on the plane with the antibiotics
Hi Michelle, it me!
My first post since joining again...just wanted to wish you all a fabulous holiday. Hope little M is OK.
Have lots of fun, we'll catch up when you get back xxx
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:41 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Binliner View Post
No. What did it say?
The whole point of posts being deleted is that they are inflammatory and/or abusive and are usually removed because they are ruining the forum or making an already bad situation worse.

==============================================
There has been too much arguing, backbiting and personal abuse thrown around on the NZ forum lately. The moderators are fed up with it and I'm sure the majority of posters are fed up with it.

The trashing of threads by turning them into a nasty exchange of insults will stop. Otherwise we will be closing threads and banning people at a far greater rate than we are now.

BE exists as a community forum, to provide help and support, and to give people somewhere to share their experiences. These will not always be good experiences, because life isn't like that. So lets have a bit of tolerance and understanding for those people who are not having as good a time as others.

By signing up to BE you are agreeing to respect the right of other posters to share their opinions and it is hoped posters will be sympathetic when others have problems. If you can't post pleasantly on a thread, please don't bother posting at all. If you disagree with someone's views, that's fine, but please express it in a way that does not cause upsets and nastiness.

There is plenty of room on this forum for everyone - as long as they are willing to play nicely and abide by the rules. If you can't do that, please leave as your presence is simply not required.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl View Post
Hoo-bloody-rah!

Hope shes ok to fly, sure she will be. Have a great holiday and let us know how you got on when you get back.
Steph.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 4:23 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
The whole point of posts being deleted is that they are inflammatory and/or abusive and are usually removed because they are ruining the forum or making an already bad situation worse.

==============================================
There has been too much arguing, backbiting and personal abuse thrown around on the NZ forum lately. The moderators are fed up with it and I'm sure the majority of posters are fed up with it.

The trashing of threads by turning them into a nasty exchange of insults will stop. Otherwise we will be closing threads and banning people at a far greater rate than we are now.

BE exists as a community forum, to provide help and support, and to give people somewhere to share their experiences. These will not always be good experiences, because life isn't like that. So lets have a bit of tolerance and understanding for those people who are not having as good a time as others.

By signing up to BE you are agreeing to respect the right of other posters to share their opinions and it is hoped posters will be sympathetic when others have problems. If you can't post pleasantly on a thread, please don't bother posting at all. If you disagree with someone's views, that's fine, but please express it in a way that does not cause upsets and nastiness.

There is plenty of room on this forum for everyone - as long as they are willing to play nicely and abide by the rules. If you can't do that, please leave as your presence is simply not required.
Very nice to hear this Pollyanna and I think you are one of the more sensible moderators <crawl crawl>. I wish some other moderators thought in the same way (please).

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.