Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Costs of Living - Christchurch suburbs area

Costs of Living - Christchurch suburbs area

Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:28 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs of Living - Christchurch suburbs area

My NZ veg is fresh from field to shelf to pan to belly and still full of taste and nutritional value, cheap in season expensive out. My UK veg came from Egypt, Kenya, Guatemala and places I cannot pronounce! These were not exotics but potatoes, carrots, green beans etc imported from great distances near as hell frozen or gassed for freshness and as much taste and health value as straw!
If you want that as a cheaper alternative then leave me out!
Puts transport pollution well out
No I don't buy Oz !

Bit on edge as wifey has had me digging up a load more lawn for vegetable patches....but hey that home grown Bok Choy is fantastic!

Last edited by Stormer999; Apr 6th 2014 at 3:31 am.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Comparing UK grocery prices to UK grocery prices is all well and good but it means to nothing unless you will also be comparing your actual $ net income in NZ with your UK net income. Will you be earning the same money $ for GBP , less or more.

Actually, I'm not sure why anyone does that in that way.

What % of your weekly net income goes on your total grocery bill is the question.

List ALL your current UK outgoings , savings , holidays, treats etc and then your UK net income.

Be very harsh and then duplicate ALL those current outgoings substituting NZ prices best you can. Then work out what your actual/probable/hopeful net NZ income will be. When doing this be harsh . It may be that the part or full time work for the 2nd adult will not come along so this cannot be relied upon.

Then do the % income to costs.

If I spent 90 odd quid a week on groceries against what our UK new income was* , I would find it incredibly affordable.

If I now spent $180 on NZ groceries against our net NZ income , it would not be cheap.

Just as anywhere one lives, it pays to shop around but one needs to take in the price of fuel & the time element when doing this.

* note , I did write in the past tense

Yes Stormer. If you want to ensure freshness , spray free and reasonable value , grow your own. We did that in the UK and do that here now.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:50 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally amazed by the length of the growing season and the number of crops it's possible to produce in one season, but it is a big learning curve
We did the same in the UK but the last 6-7 years before NZ the weather was against us.

Last edited by Stormer999; Apr 6th 2014 at 3:52 am.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I haven't found a difference in the length of a growing season UK v NZ. It's still all about the seasons & you still have to rest & replenish the soil.

We did the same in the UK but the last 6-7 years before NZ the weather was against us.
That's a shame when one puts in the work. FWIW Mr BEVS assorted cousins also grow their own and 3 of 'em have allotments. They haven't mentioned any difficulties up their way, Midlands, when we have our 'show us yer vege' photo contests.

Still, this is off topic. We need another vege patch thread. Soon be pea time hopefully now the weather might cool down somewhat, if the rains permit .

You may already know of it, but here is a handy website for planting & harvesting reminders.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
For any single people (or people living alone while job hunting/waiting for partner) this is my budget for basics:

Rent: $320
Health insurance: $31 (Accuro)
Food: $200
Mobile: $10
Transport: $10
Fun stuff/misc: $125
TV: $12.50
Student Loan: $50

This is a per fortnight budget, my rent for my room includes bills however the average rent for a room on trademe appears to vary between $120-200 including or not including bills. I don't drive so the $10 is for occasional buses, I cycle everywhere or walk.

I've been trying to pay by cash for everything to restrict my food/treats spending as I feel it's a bit on the expensive side but have still found it difficult as if I want to go out for coffee/dinner once or twice per fortnight it puts a hole in it. I have mananged to stick to it okay though.

A good option for between freeview and sky is Igloo, it's $24.99 per month and you get a few more channels. You can't get sports or the latest TV programmes but the variety is good enough for me.

One last tip for those emigrating who still have UK student loans, do not forget to tell the SLC you are here. They will want proof of income and a form, they then assess how much you should pay. They INSIST on this being a direct debit from a UK account which is a right royal pain in the backside but it's better than not saying you're here and ending up paying $600 a month instead.
For those that do not have a UK account, you can do a foreign transfer per month. This unfortunately occurs exchange rate costs and a six quid charge per transaction from their Barclays account. Not a lot that can be done when all ties within the UK no longer exist

I know of this because it's the only way I can pay back the loan I took out during my student days. It also clearly explains it on the Student Loans website and informs that you will be responsible for the charges occurred by banks.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute

Another factor that had skipped my mind. Sigh. So can someone tell me what happens if you pay nothing to the SLC? And how easy it is to keep a bank account open in the UK?
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Interest just keeps being added - if no payments have been made after around 5 years, they send Liam Neeson out and he will find you

I'd say there shouldn't be a problem unless its one where you need to put x amount of money into an account. I had my HSBC open for a couple of years before closing it, whilst out here.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:46 pm

Check the Bank. When mine found out I had moved to NZ they insisted I moved elsewhere. That means offshore if you have already left the UK.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
One last tip for those emigrating who still have UK student loans, do not forget to tell the SLC you are here. They will want proof of income and a form, they then assess how much you should pay. They INSIST on this being a direct debit from a UK account which is a right royal pain in the backside but it's better than not saying you're here and ending up paying $600 a month instead.
Great point. Student Loans have been completed bastards since I've been here. I've been paying $500 a month each month (and have no choice in the matter).
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by davros1984
Great point. Student Loans have been completed bastards since I've been here. I've been paying $500 a month each month (and have no choice in the matter).
If you were still living here, you could get out of that

They cannot do anything if you change the amounts you pay them. I only pay back $380 a month to them. They're getting the money back at least, just not the amount they want.

That's if you have it set as an automatic payment, they can't do anything about it. Of course, when the statement comes back, check the amounts. My money is being paid in - adding on a nice extra when the end of year happens.

If you have it set as a direct debit, you won't be able to do that

Lastly, that's if it's being paid from a New Zealand account
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Tom - I still live in NZ.

I have had several conversations with SLC about this. They assessed my income and came up with a figure based on that - they do this every year. They have said that I have to pay the amount they have set, no dispute. If I do not, I would face disciplinary action. I told them I felt the amount was excessive but was told that it is what I have to pay.

The amount of grief I received when I first moved out here and didn't make payments for 3 months was incredible. My mum received letters threatening to take me to court and other courses of action (even though I had been paying off my SL since 2007 through the normal UK tax system).

I make a voluntary payment each month through their website, and they also sting me for currency conversion charges.