Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of Supporting 2 children in New Zealand ?

Cost of Supporting 2 children in New Zealand ?

Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:01 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cost of Supporting 2 children in New Zealand ?

And she seems to be charging for the ENTIRE food bill for the family over the year.
$18,200

Surely if there are 4 in the family you could split that figure in half. (and then half again for dad and mum share).
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:27 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ble
And she seems to be charging for the ENTIRE food bill for the family over the year.
$18,200

Surely if there are 4 in the family you could split that figure in half. (and then half again for dad and mum share).
That probably includes an 'alcohol' amount too I would say around $75 per week for food for each of the kids, that's $7,800 and half of that per month is $325 so that's another deduction on previous calculation saving another $110 per month making it $1,354 per month. Take off the $70 council tax and $10 water (as these probably don't exist) saves Jono another $40 a month, that makes $1,314 per month and his kids will still get to enjoy all the outings and activities and parties as listed and he'll get to save $686 per month towards a holiday out here to see them. Everybody wins
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:00 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

I can see that I am running my family all wrong.
I obviously need to leave OH - send him a HUGE bill for the cost of his children and I would be quids (sorry dollars) in.

Of course the fact that I love him to bits and have no intention of ever doing that means that I need to get used to our family being paupers.

But, on a serious note, I seriously think that you need to be looking further into it Jono.
I know that I had a friend (reverse situation); kid in Scotland but him here, and he sent around $300 a month back across. Not for a total pound amount - but a standard flat NZD amount. Therefore allowing him to budget properly for his expenses here. He wasn't on a large income in either country.

I also know that he got his own case worker in teh UK (when things went horrid and threats were thrown around) social services (or what ever the department is across there that looks after things - child support from parents in teh UK). They gave him a case worker and where really helpful over the phone and email.

I have no idea, but is that an option for across here.

As I said - I have never (and hope to never) need to deal with that department. So I am not sure - but someone else may do?

And as for Teamembos food amounts - I would say that it is very fair to generous amount for a 7yr and 10yr - but I guess that would allow the free-range organic things to be bought.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Cool, if you´ve got some detail to compare I think you´ll get a useful response when they come online down under you could tell her the balance will need to fund your flights to keep in touch

Good luck though, must be hard.

S
$2k is a HUGE amount monthly. I would tell her to whistle if she wants more. A mate of mine pays a bit less than this for 3 kids. Even if I didn't know about my mate having lived here for 5 years I know that $2k is more than ample for 2 kids of this age. You are being very generous. Schooling is all but free..the donations you make are just that..donations and you don't HAVE to pay if you are skint..its only about $150 p/a per child anyways. Most schools are non uniform and how much food can a child eat in a month. There is a small charge for the school stationery by the way..again its a small amount, sleep well you have nothing to lose sleep over!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I dont know you or your ex but i,m afraid she is taking the piss, you allowed her to take your kids to the otherside of the world and now she wants paying for it, I know you love your kids and i went thru something very similar just be firm pay her a fair amount (2 grand is over the top)

What i did with mine was pay a monthly amount and any extras holidays,clothes, hobbys ect i paid seperatly it worked for us my son is now 18 and he never starved to death

Neil

Edit, Also noticed she prices for rent and council tax (rates here) that would be included in her rent
Nicley put. I was thinking this but erred on the side of being a coward!!!!!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:47 am
Just Joined

jonolondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to you all for your really detailed, painstaking replies.

FYI - Pending receiving a detailed breakdown from her (she moved to NZ last September), I've been paying her £750 sterling per month which seemed reasonable (to me at least).

Since then, I've been asked to pay £1500 sterling ($3500 NZD/month ?) threatened with lawyers, etc.

(This is probably more info than more of you are interested in, but for reference, my ex is holding off from signing the divorce paperwork until I agree a revised figure, despite the fact that she's taken off and living there with her BF !). Hence the reason why I want to get this sorted out.

So that is all very helpful and allows me to at least debate her figures from a factual perspective.

Thanks everyone - you've been very kind.
Jonathan
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:04 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness, well lots of hard info for you, if I were you I would anonomise(sp?) it and play it back to her, clearly their approach is relying on you not knowing the real score/prices etc etc - that would also cool the ardour of any lawyers (in reality even NZ lawyers would probably struggle to argue the rationale of exceeding the NZ CSA figure though TBH so I think that is an empty threat).

Painful - but you have my sympathy for agreeing for the children to go that far away, that must be harder than dealing with the finance issues.

Presume NZIS have some form of your agreement for them to go?? (open question but don´t feel you need to answer, happy to discuss by pm if you want to).
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know I'm being a bit dim here but why wasn't a figure agreed upon before you signed the papers allowing your kids to go to NZ with her &, possibly, her new partner? Surely you all discussed access and costs.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:39 am
Just Joined

PSW2010 has a brilliant futurePSW2010 has a brilliant futurePSW2010 has a brilliant futurePSW2010 has a brilliant futurePSW2010 has a brilliant futurePSW2010 has a brilliant future

Hi,
there's no way on this earth kids are eating $350 a week in food, prob half that, for which you're responsible for half. Also, $35 a week on takeaways is impossible (well it's not, but it could be on top of all that food). $190 for the net is wild, I'm not sure it's that for everything, sky, phone, calls, net, & so you're responsible for the kids part of that.
Effectively, aren't you responsible for a quarter of all their househld bills, in that they are responsible for the adult half, and then half of the kids bit aswell.
I've could easily, EASILY live in NZ on $3300 tax free for my family, added to my income. I'd be richer than God here if i had that.
No offence, I know you love your kids, but the adults in this are trying to take the mickey out of you.
Not sure what the answer is, lawyers prob aren't, but for most of these things you can go on the net, do a pretend shop at woolworths.co.nz see how much a weekly shop is, clothes stores will be online, etc etc.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bevs.. She wouldn't agree on a figure prior to her leaving for NZ and I never signed any release paperwork !

It would have been nice but it didn't happen and frankly I didn't necessarily want to commit to a figure which would have been based on the cost of Living in London Vs. Bay of Plenty !

Thanks again everyone for the feedback, that's unbelievably helpful.
J
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:44 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonolondon
Thanks Bevs.. She wouldn't agree on a figure prior to her leaving for NZ and I never signed any release paperwork
Umm, are you saying she doesn't have written authority from you to take them to NZ?????

Depending on what visa they entered NZ on I thought NZ would insist on that - most countries do these days.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:07 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Jono do you have legal parental responsibility for the children? Ie, you were married to your ex at the time of their birth? If so, it is ILLEGAL for your ex to remove your children from the jurisdiction of the UK without your written persmission which must be signed by a Notary Public. Did you give this permission? Immigration are very hot on this so it would be interesting to know what visa your ex come over on because unless she lied on her application Immigration would insist on having a copy of your permission for Removal from UK Jurisdiction. Children have been stopped at airports and parents charged for removing/attempting to remove children without this permission.

Furthermore, she can threaten all she likes with lawyers but it's a slightly more complicated process when living in two different countries. There is a repriocal agreement between NZ and the UK. However, in order for her to pursue a claim for child maintenance through the NZ court she would need to go through REMO. This is a service used to make or enforce maintenance orders in order to collect money from non-paying absent parents. The usual CSA rules do not apply from either country in these cases, although some lawyers may use them as a baseline to start negotiations. She would need to apply to the NZ family court for a maintenance order and the paperwork would be passed to REMO to enforce in the UK on her behalf. HOWEVER, you are not a non-paying parent without care. You pay a regular and generous amount and I doubt she'd get anywhere with her claim.

Furthermore, if she did manage to pursue things through REMO your case would be heard in an English court as that is where you are, were she would not attend but you could counterclaim her removal of the children without your permission along with the fact that you pay regular maintenance. In REMO cases, both sides have to provide full and frank financial details of total family income (this would include her partner's income/savings/investments/pensions as well as hers and those of the children) by way of original bank statements, original bills and documents and it bascially comes down to what is a fair amount to pay given each parties personal living expenses and financial commitments. It is a very lengthy process. I'm not even sure REMO would pursue this on her behalf as you are already making regular payments. Please protect yourself and keep official records of these payments.

I'm not a lawyer Jono I just, unfortunately, have personal experience of this.

In my humble opinion, the first thing I would do if I were you is to check on the Removal from Jurisdiction issue. If you definitely did not sign this and get it witnessed and signed by a Notary Public, then what your ex has done by removing the children is illegal. If you wanted, you could pursue that and insist on their return. Secondly, again, just my opinion but I really don't think REMO would pursue the case for her as you are already paying.

Lastly, don't feel like you're between a rock and a hard place just because she refuses to sign the divorce papers unless you pay up. No doubt she'll want to move on with her life too so it just sounds like an empty threat and personally I'd concentrate on the legal aspect of her taking the kids first.

Hope this helps. Would seriously recommend you get some proper sound legal advice and take it from there.

Last edited by TeamEmbo; Feb 24th 2010 at 6:48 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:28 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

I can't add much to some of the great advice except to wish you luck. As Embo says, I would get legal advice and not worry about those divorce papers.

I would also pursue the aspect of the childrens removal without your written consent.

All the best

PS Internet cost $60 per month for uncapped (Telecom Big Time) - if your ex and BF use the internet then the extra cost for the kids using it is NOTHING
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:14 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonolondon
Thanks Bevs.. She wouldn't agree on a figure prior to her leaving for NZ and I never signed any release paperwork !

It would have been nice but it didn't happen and frankly I didn't necessarily want to commit to a figure which would have been based on the cost of Living in London Vs. Bay of Plenty !

Thanks again everyone for the feedback, that's unbelievably helpful.
J
In that case, she is paying water on top of rent as it's not included in BoP rates - unless it's Omokoroa where it is. So would depend where in the BoP. Not really relevant in the scale of your thread - but just an aside.

Best of luck and make sure you keep us all updated please.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi TeamEmbo - Many thanks. Yes I was married to her (still am legally !)at the time of both children's birth so am absolutely their legal parent. I have a strong suspicion actually that my signature has been forged onto some paperwork.. I'll get back in touch with my lawyer and see what she says..

She's just responded to me with an unbelievably irate email after I cut and paste some of the comments from this forum -claiming that Hamburger meat just cost her $18 and telling me to F* off after I offered her a one off payment of $3k to help out followed by $2k per month !

Anyway, thanks everyone for your sage advice, I will be sticking to my guns and see if she sees sanity...

Cheers,
Jonathan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.