Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of skiing holidays in NZ?

Cost of skiing holidays in NZ?

Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:56 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of skiing holidays in NZ?

Waaaaaay ahead of myself here, but really a thought inspired by the Christmas thread? Does anyone know roughly how much it costs to take a lodge, rent all equipment, book lessons etc to have a skiing holiday on the South Island. Probably in 2010 - funds permitting, having earnt holiday from job in Pak `n` Save etc, etc!!

Any website links dealing with this gratefully received.

Can you buy ski clothing easily enough in the North Island - Next do a nice line here!

we went to Snow Planet just North of Auckland in April and our 3 year old was fierce!!!

And do you still get the ferry in deep mid-Winter? (Thinking rough crossing etc.) Are the little pedalo type airplanes as an option, rough weather etc?

Anyone done/do it?

Thanking you muchly.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of skiing holidays in NZ?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Waaaaaay ahead of myself here, but really a thought inspired by the Christmas thread? Does anyone know roughly how much it costs to take a lodge, rent all equipment, book lessons etc to have a skiing holiday on the South Island. Probably in 2010 - funds permitting, having earnt holiday from job in Pak `n` Save etc, etc!!

Can you buy ski clothing easily enough in the North Island - Next do a nice line here!

we went to Snow Planet just North of Auckland in April and our 3 year old was fierce!!!

And do you still get the ferry in deep mid-Winter? (Thinking rough crossing etc.) Are the little pedalo type airplanes as an option, rough weather etc?

Anyone done/do it?

Thanking you muchly.
OK I've never actually done it but I'm sure I can answer some of the questions! Just going to get myself a nice flat white and will come back in a mo.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cost of skiing holidays in NZ?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

Anyone done/do it?

Thanking you muchly.
Skiing works differently in NZ than in Europe.
There are no resorts built up the mountain, many skifields are little in terms of infrastructure but big in terms of actual skiing.
I live in Christchurch, to get to one of six or eight skifeilds is around 2 hours drive max. You wake up, see what the forecast is and drive on up. There are a few places that you can stay on the mountain, but nothing like the European versions.
Many Aucklanders would fly into Queenstown and hire a car for a week, there are maybe four skifields easily accessible, and this would be the most like skiing in Europe (atmosphere, bars, clubs, apres ski,hotels etc). Or base in Wanaka, or maybe Alexandra, a few very good options.
In the North Island the skiing is on Mt Ruapehu in the middle of the island.

The NZ system of a skiing holiday is very much on the basis of "do it yourself". There are packages you can buy which would include accom, meals, ski hire etc ala the European way, but this is not the normal kiwi way and you will pay an arm and a leg for it.

www.nzski.com covers the 3 big SI fields, the little fields are much friendlier and club-run (so shoestring budget). In winter skis and clothing is easily bought.

The Interislander ferries can be hit by bad weather at any time and sometimes do not run. The worst of the weather is often autumn and spring rather than winter. Flights are more often affected by fog than storms...

Wtih four weeks annual leave minimum from next year you won't be wating too long for your holidays - it might be more a problem of available cash!

Last edited by Apple12; Oct 18th 2006 at 12:49 am.