British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   COST OF SHOPPING IN AUCKLAND, NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cost-shopping-auckland-nz-876029/)

NZLorraine Apr 16th 2016 8:18 pm

COST OF SHOPPING IN AUCKLAND, NZ

Hi Guys, we're wanting to know if anyone can advise on weekly food cost for a family of 4, we shop at Morrisons/tescos in the UK with not too many luxury items. We just need the average. Can anyone help?

Rete Apr 16th 2016 9:45 pm

Re: COST OF SHOPPING IN AUCKLAND, NZ

Originally Posted by NZLorraine (Post 11924815)
Hi Guys, we're wanting to know if anyone can advise on weekly food cost for a family of 4, we shop at Morrisons/tescos in the UK with not too many luxury items. We just need the average. Can anyone help?

Hi again Lorraine

The Welcome Inn is for welcoming you to the community of British Expats. We have forums for just about every country in the world and the regulars on those forums will be able to help you with most, if not all, of your questions.

Rita

MrsFychan Apr 16th 2016 11:14 pm

Hi Lorraine,

have a look on Countdown website

Online Supermarket: Online Grocery Shopping & Free Recipes at countdown.co.nz

MOSO Apr 17th 2016 1:41 am

There are 3 important things to bear in mind when doing a cost comparison:

- Fresh fruit/veg is seasonal and the prices vary accordingly.
- We pay GST on all food.
- Convenience food is not widely sold and the prices reflect this.

Most importantly, having just been to the UK, I can assure you NZ wine is cheaper here!

NZLorraine Apr 17th 2016 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11924893)

Thank you for your help. much appreciated
:thumbup:

NZLorraine Apr 17th 2016 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 11924852)
Hi again Lorraine

The Welcome Inn is for welcoming you to the community of British Expats. We have forums for just about every country in the world and the regulars on those forums will be able to help you with most, if not all, of your questions.

Rita

sorry for the error new to forums:confused:

NZLorraine Apr 17th 2016 7:19 pm

thanks for your advice

Hazelnut Apr 18th 2016 1:24 pm

Always fun to do during a boring lunch break at my desk. Here's some of my staple ingredients for a home cooked, easy and quick spag bog:

Quorn mince, frozen 500g
Tesco is £2.79 Countdown is $9

Decent tinned tomatoes
Tesco 40p Countdown $1.10

Fresh Onions
Tesco 60p/kg Countdown $2/kg

Wholewheat Spaghetti 500gm
Tesco £1 (organic too) Countdown $2.20

Fresh veg like carrots, peas, sweetcorn etc vary from the same price to twice as much in NZ, even when only looking at 'in season' vegetables. The only thing I found cheaper in NZ was fresh apples.

All the cheese I looked at was three to four times the price in NZ compared to Tesco in the UK :(

It's scary when you break it down as many things are easily twice the price in NZ compared to our mainstream supermarkets in the UK. This is one of those things where I simply have no understanding how anyone with children manages to feed themselves in NZ when salaries are so much less yet food costs twice as much. Child poverty (UK is 16% according to government but 28% according to child charities) seems rife in both countries (28% in NZ to UNICEF and 29% according to project) which is awful for so called 'developed' nations.

Toilet rolls are cheaper in NZ :blink:

garethwm Apr 18th 2016 7:40 pm

Did you multiply the NZ prices by 0.49 to take account of the exchange rate Hazelnut?

barnsleymat Apr 18th 2016 8:22 pm

Bring plenty of tissues with you as the prices of a lot of groceries will make your eyes water.

Hazelnut Apr 18th 2016 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by garethwm (Post 11926193)
Did you multiply the NZ prices by 0.49 to take account of the exchange rate Hazelnut?

Yep, I remember being horrified at the cost of cheese when we were over before :(

Kotare Apr 18th 2016 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Hazelnut (Post 11926283)
Yep, I remember being horrified at the cost of cheese when we were over before :(

Smoke and mirrors somewhere. Just checked a kg of 'cheddar' in Tesco and Countdown both $11 at todays rates. Any imported cheese eg French camembert is silly prices though.

dfjordan Apr 18th 2016 11:40 pm

It's maybe not relevant to you, but I'm in Chile and for about 9 months now, we've been buying some lovely NZ cheddar for the equivalent of NZ$9 kg!

Kotare Apr 19th 2016 12:37 am

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 11926361)
It's maybe not relevant to you, but I'm in Chile and for about 9 months now, we've been buying some lovely NZ cheddar for the equivalent of NZ$9 kg!

It used to grate that the best NZ produce was exported and cost the same in NZ as overseas but why 'waste' it here if you can sell it offshore :-) Jealous of that price though.

Venezuelan007 Apr 19th 2016 5:58 am

According to Numbeo...

Indices Differencehttp://www.numbeo.com/images/information.png Consumer Prices in Auckland are 11.57% lower than in London Consumer Prices Including Rent in Auckland are 29.11% lower than in London Rent Prices in Auckland are 50.43% lower than in London Restaurant Prices in Auckland are 27.05% lower than in London Groceries Prices in Auckland are 8.46% higher than in London Local Purchasing Power in Auckland is 25.84% higher than in London

Its safe to assume Numbeo is wrong then?